Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Is it a zchus to have a boy????
1  2  3  Next

healthywoman

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 8:29 pm
why do pple always give you a bracha to have a boy? is it some zchus or something? why dont u ever hear pple giving you a bracha for a girl?

flowerpower

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 8:30 pm
Because he carries the family name, says kadaish for the parents after 120 years...........

A girl is always a blessing for the mother.

healthywoman

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 8:32 pm
but a woman carries on the Jewish traditions. (pple are Jewish based off the mother)

manhattanmom

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 8:49 pm
healthywoman wrote:
why do pple always give you a bracha to have a boy? is it some zchus or something? why dont u ever hear pple giving you a bracha for a girl?

Hm...I have 2 boys and now people are wishing me a "girl next time" or commenting that "we should try for a girl..." Does that count?

MommyZ

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 8:51 pm
I agree. All babies are brachos.

Bella:D

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 10:39 pm
I agree with the OP, I want a girl.

mominlkwd

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 10:42 pm
That's so interesting. I've never gotten a brocha like that. I've only gotten the typical "B'shaa Tova" and that it should be healthy...

Chloe

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 10:44 pm
healthywoman wrote:

I've never heard of it and have never experienced anything like this. Most people give Brochos for a healthy child, or if someone has a few girls or a few boys they give a bracha for the opposite gender.

mimivan

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 10:45 pm
a boy has the mitzva of talmud torah, which is k'neged coolam (equivalent to ALL the mitzvos)
but a Jew is a Jew because of the mother, not the father
the Lubavitcher Rebbe said that a woman is given this great merit because of her mesirus nefesh,
even sacrificing time that could be spent by men in avodas Hashem or learning Torah, to raise Jewish children...this represents an ultimate sacrifice...so as a reward, she is the one who is responsible for the child's Jewish identity, which is paramount...

after all, how can even talmud Torah "count" unless a child is Jewish in the first place? Wink

(I have 3 boys, but am quite annoyed when I hear people talk about having girls as if is somehow second best. Crying Fortunately, in my community, I don't hear much of that b'h. In fact, the Rebbe urged chassidim to say "to Torah Chuppah and maasim tovim" not just on the birth of a boy but also on the birth of a girl.

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 11:18 pm
mimivan wrote:

(I have 3 boys, but am quite annoyed when I hear people talk about having girls as if is somehow second best. Crying Fortunately, in my community, I don't hear much of that b'h. In fact, the Rebbe urged chassidim to say "to Torah Chuppah and maasim tovim" not just on the birth of a boy but also on the birth of a girl.

Rabbi Riskin also does this, as I think does Rabbi Wasserman.

Rodent

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 11:35 pm
There is a sepharadi blessing that a mother in the first 40 days is supposed to say that is for a boy. I don't care what I have but I said it the first 3 times (told to) and I have 3 boys. Well I'd quite like a girl now so no more! (Would be perfectly happy with another boy, just saying!)

Temilia

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 11:48 pm
Really, I have only heard that when people have only girls.
For example, if someone has two or three girls, and they are bh pregnant, people will wish them for a boy.

But actually, people will wish a girl, if it's the opposite.

I think it's natural, for people to want both boys and girls and if someone has only one, people will bentch them with the other.

My sister in law, bh has only boys, and every time she is expecting, people wish her to have a girl.

Doesn't mean she doesn't like her boys, or that girls are better, just that she would love to have a daughter as well as the beautiful sons, kah, that she has now.

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 11:54 pm
Let me tell you this Sister...
It is a "zchus" to have a HEALTHY baby!

healthywoman

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 9:25 am
I know-its a very big zchus to have a healthy baby especially when you think of all the things that can cv go wrong. but I was just wondering because whenever pple give me a bracha its always that I should have a boy. so I began thinking maybe theres an added zchus or something.

MommyZ

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 9:28 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Let me tell you this Sister...
It is a "zchus" to have a HEALTHY baby!

ITA Thumbs Up

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 10:08 am
A girl is the certainty your grandchildren will be Jewish. If that's not the ultimate zechus... anyway Hashem gives us what is best for us, so it obviously depends what we need to have...

cm

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 10:48 am
I find there is preference for boy babies everywhere! My Reform neighbor had three girls and then a boy - a large family by their community standards. At the bris all I heard was "Finally, a boy!" "You can stop having all those children now - you finally got your boy!" "At last, a boy!" I know they were at least in part joking about the large family size, but I have never heard anyone say "At last! A girl!" It reminded me of the final chapter of "All of a Kind Family," when (IIRC) Papa weeps with joy because he finally has a boy.

MommyZ

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 10:56 am
DH's cousin has 3 boys and finally had a girl. I think she got plenty of at last you have your girl.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 11:04 am
My saba was raised chassidish, prewar, and after two boys his father really wanted a girl and was disappointed when he had another boy.

thatgirl

Post Sun, Sep 18 2011, 10:56 am
rodent what bracha is that?? never heard of it..
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics