Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Best Board Games

Merrymom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 1:56 am
I need to keep a houseful of kids entertained for second days (Pesach). Does anyone have some names of really good board games?

shosh

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 2:21 am
I just bought some for my kids, and they have been really enjoying them. They are the usual classics, and of course a lot depends on the ages of your kids:

Monopoly (8+) (There is a new version today with an electronic thing for credit cards, which can't be used on Shabbos, so I bought the classic version with paper money, which can, and my kids love it!)
Risk (10+)
Rummikub (all ages)
TAKI (6+) (This involves cards and is not a board game, but is still a good game for Shabbos and Yom Tov)

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 4:20 am
We got the kids this game for afikolman. You can't use the timer on Shabbot, but they are all having fun with it. Don't pay attention to the 8+, my almost 5 year old can play fine. You pick a card and have to make the structure. On weekdays you throw a dice which determines how much time you get to make it (and you can make more if you finish in the time), but they are having enough fun without the timing aspect.

momoffive

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 8:14 am
You don't mention the ages of the kids.

The classics are great - Risk, Rummicub, chess and checkers, bananagrams, scrabble, connect 4.

And so are the newer ones: perpetual commotion, set, pentago, mix up, frame it, mad gab, malarky, othello, apples to apples, settlers of Catan and blokus.

We have NOT done so well with: the worst case scenario, trilogy, battleship etc.

If you have a few minutes, check them out on Amazon (way cheaper than Toys R Us)

Have fun!

Simple1

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 8:55 am
Perpetual Commotion - we had it for a year, and the kids still take it out and love it.
Apples to Apples is fun- they come in different age levels.
We just brought for Pesach Cranium Triple Triumph and they really enjoyed it. Master mind is also a lot of fun but has a billion small pieces - in case youre worried about babies and choking hazards.
(And my kids don't just love all games - there are plenty that sit on the shelf untouched. But the ones I said they really enjoy)

realeez

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 9:54 am
My boys are almost 7 and 8 and they really like Stratego. We brought out my old game of Labyrinth which is really for 8+ but my younger son is great at it. They also really like Chess and Checkers and Othello. Last year they liked Monopoly Junior a lot too.

(My younger son likes to comment usually that they are called "bored"' games because they are boring but he likes the ones listed above!)

daisy

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 10:22 am
Monopoly Deal (it's a card game), Qwirkle, Othello.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 11:32 am
Thanks so much for all the replies. I have kids and nieces of all ages. If you can tell me something about it like your kids absolutely adore it that would be helpful. I don't want to buy ten different games so if it can be narrowed down a bit it would really help.

6coop

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 12:09 pm
My kids like Uno. It's cheap, stores small, and my five year old can play along with adults.

Mina

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 2:58 pm
perpetual commotion is an excellant game for all ages!!!!!everyone will love it!

KAlex

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 8:03 am
Merrymom wrote:
Thanks so much for all the replies. I have kids and nieces of all ages. If you can tell me something about it like your kids absolutely adore it that would be helpful. I don't want to buy ten different games so if it can be narrowed down a bit it would really help.

Are you looking for multi-player games, or pair games, or ones that can be either? Of the ones listed so far that I know about (plus a few suggestions of my own):

Two-Player:
Othello
Stratego
Chess
Checkers/Draughts
Connect 4
Backgammon
Go
Pente
MasterMind

Two-Plus:
Uno
Monopoly
Risk (Has several variants, many of which are somewhat different games)
Rummikub
Scrabble
Blokus (the mini-version is only for two)
Carcassonne (has lots of expansions, but the base-game is great without them)
Acquire

Three-Plus:
Apples to Apples
Settlers of Catan (also has lots of expansions, though you don't need them, unless you want the one to allow 5/6 players, rather than 3/4)
Clue/Cluedo (a classic, good for logic, though there are better games)

There are thousands of great board games out there. Have fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics