Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shadows on the Moon by bracha goykadosh

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 11:19 pm
I read this book in one sitting this afternoon. I am just speechless. For the first time, a real book by a teen (she wrote this in her senior year in high school), about the life and emotions of a teen going through turmoil. a look inside the heart of a teenager who is at-risk, all the hurt she is going through and no one sees the hurt. At the same time the book is also HILARIOUS - I was laughing my way through it -becuase it has so much black humor. It also crossed a few taboos and had some really cute inside jokes about Jewish music, and at the same time I was extremely impressed by the wealth of knowledge Bracha has about teh world at large and the exciting and anguished world of teenagers today. It's a fantastic book that even adults can enjoy. I cann't recommend it more highly; if youre looking for a new book to read this should be on top of your list.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 1:37 am
Thanks for the info. My teenage daughters really liked her Footprints In The Sand. I thought it was okay-pretty-good, but somehow she really speaks to teens in a big way. They wre like, "finally, a normal frum book". It sounds like they would love this newer book. Teens see Bracha Goykadosh as one of them.

cookiecutter

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:36 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I read this book in one sitting this afternoon. I am just speechless. For the first time, a real book by a teen (she wrote this in her senior year in high school), about the life and emotions of a teen going through turmoil. a look inside the heart of a teenager who is at-risk, all the hurt she is going through and no one sees the hurt. At the same time the book is also HILARIOUS - I was laughing my way through it -becuase it has so much black humor. It also crossed a few taboos and had some really cute inside jokes about Jewish music, and at the same time I was extremely impressed by the wealth of knowledge Bracha has about teh world at large and the exciting and anguished world of teenagers today. It's a fantastic book that even adults can enjoy. I cann't recommend it more highly; if youre looking for a new book to read this should be on top of your list.
I read the book a while back and I found it unique. The girls flit back and forth between their ideal BY frum milieu and their real and sometimes troubled social and family lives. It's very realistic. Maybe I don't read enoguh but its the only book I can remmber that had real teenagers acting like real teenagers for better or for worse.

merelyme

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:38 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Teens see Bracha Goykadosh as one of them.

Probably because she is "one of them."

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:41 am
merelyme wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Teens see Bracha Goykadosh as one of them.

Probably because she is "one of them."

I think she wrote her first book when she was in twelfth grade.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:54 am
by now bracha is in her 20s but she began publishing in high school.

sunny90

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 10:40 am
Ooooh I know her!
She's one of my best friends' from elementary school's older sister!

K I just had to say it... ;-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room