Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Who eats vegetables and Pesach that are NOT peeled?
1  2  Next

Do you eat unpeeled veggies on Pesach, or only peeled?
We only eat peeled vegetables on Pesach  
 32%  [ 48 ]
We eat unpeeled vegetables too on Pesach  
 65%  [ 96 ]
Other (please explain)  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 147

amother

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 9:10 pm
I seem to be the only one on imamother who eats vegetables on Pesach which are not peeled.
Are there any other people out there who eat vegetables on Pesach with the peel still on?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
I seem to be the only one on imamother who eats vegetables on Pesach which are not peeled.
Are there any other people out there who eat vegetables on Pesach with the peel still on?

Apparently there are. Check the survey.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 9:44 pm
I only peel veggies that require peeling, potatos, onions carrots.

I don't peel peppers, tomatoes, grapes, or celery.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 9:58 pm
Thanks so much for answering my poll!
I see that our family is not the only one who doesn't peel all vegetables on Pesach. LOL

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:17 pm
both my background and my husbands background have the minhag on pesach to peel all fruit and veggies that can be peeled easily (cucumbers, zuchinni, apples) but allow veggies and fruit to be eaten with their skin on when it is more difficult to remove it (grapes, peppers, tomatoes).

Tova

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 10:17 pm
We don't either have such a minhag. We eat all fruits and veggies, as long as no kitniyos problem.

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 11:50 pm
The first Pesach I ever made, I cooked exclusively from the Spice and Spirit Passover book. I was unaware of this minhag, and every time the recipe said to peel tomatoes, I did so, because I thought, well, it must work better for the recipe, or bring about a better flavour. I did wonder why I couldn't just use canned tomato sauce or canned tomatoes (Kosher for Pesach of course) like I would normally do for cooking.

It wasn't until a year or two later that I realized this was a minhag. I was happy to not peel tomatoes for salad and cook with canned tomatoes. However, the experience of that Pesach gives me an appreciation for those who follow this minhag.

In addition, I will say that this year, when my family was invited to the family with whom my husband boarded when he was single, it was my privilege and pleasure to help cut up peeled tomatoes for a salad.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:57 am
I do. I always heard it's a Chassidishe minhag not to. My family, and DH's family, and DSIL's family, all have some Chassidishe background and leanings, but we don't have this minhag.

Rodent

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 2:06 am
We eat vegetables and fruit with the peel. You're not alone.

kalsee

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 2:09 am
I chose "other" because my family is very makpid to peel and my husband's family does not but I still feel funny, so for myself I still usually peel.

mae1984

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 5:42 am
I don't really understand the peeling thing...

kalsee

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 5:46 am
mae1984 wrote:
I don't really understand the peeling thing...

Since we don't know what touched the outside of the fruit or vegetables, some people are makpid not only to wash it well , but do not want to eat the peel at all.

That's why I don't get it when someone says that they have the minhag for vegetables that are easy to peel. Why does that make sense ? either you have the minhag or not.

Liba

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:37 am
We peel fruits and vegis with the exception of lettuce, tomatoes and fresh spices which gets washed before yom tov.

I voted other.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:06 am
We peel beets, onions, carrots, garlic, kholrabi, turnips, mushrooms. IOW, whatever we peel year round. In the past, the only people I knew who peeled were Lubavich. But those are also the only Chassidim I knew.

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:45 am
We eat with the peel and without when it's something that we always peel. Has nothing to do for Pesach.
In fact we just don't eat chometz but don't worry about something chometz that may have touched the stuff elsewhere. As we wash it.
We also eat strawberries.
And we sell pure chometz like dried noodles etc.
Are you sure you want to eat at my house?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:06 am
My husband only eats peelable vegetables. He is ok with the rest of us eating them though. So, I eat tomatoes, peppers etc. and so do the kids.
When I make chicken soup on Chol Hamoed I am careful not to put in parsley leaves or celery. I used a peeled parsely root instead.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 10:14 am
Music Peelings...nothing more than peelings...

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 10:57 am
We (yeshivish) are not particular to peel vegetables and fruits.

My DIL's family who is slightly chassidish in background, but in practice mainly yeshivish (though they do not eat gebrukst) only eats things that cannot be peeled -- therefore (even though they eat products with a good hechsher) they do not use things like ketchup or tomato sauce since they are made from unpeeled tomatoes.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 5:43 pm
We eat only peelable fruits and veggies, except for the lettuce we use as moror. The leftovers we may eat on Chol Hamo'ed, as per psak halocheh from Rav Moshe Halberstam zt"l. (His yohrtzeit this coming Sunday iy”H.)

freidasima wrote:
And we sell pure chometz like dried noodles etc.

Nothing wrong with that. If the stores can sell it, why can't you. Actually, don't we sell liquor? My husband told me that "in der heim" they used to sell bread.

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:55 pm
kalsee, you wrote that you dont understand the minhag I mentioned, which is that we are only makpid to peel veggies and fruits that can be peeled easily. explanation: our minhag is that it is preferable to peel veggies and fruit, but not necessary, as its chumrah and not halacha. so if its easy to peel, its preferable to do so. however, if you forgot to peel an easy-to-peel veggie and ate it, no problem: like I said, its only preferable and not necessary. Hope that helps!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen