Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Double stroller with option for a third kid?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 5:13 pm
I have a baby jogger city mini and loved it from the minute I got it. My 3.5 year old and 2 year old are both so comfortable in it, and it suits all my needs.
little did I know that when purchasing a double stroller, you gotta think about an iyh third kid which this stroller seems to have no options for. My older one still likes to sit alot, and as we like to go out alot, I need to be mobile on foot. I am due with #3 iyh in july, and am looking into stroller options yet again.
According to the saleswoman in a baby store, the universal buggy boards dont work perfectly on the city mini, so that is out. BJ is coming out with a buggy board, but they say at the end of june, and knowing this company, realistically it would be a few months longer which I cant really wait for.
There is no jump seat option on the mini, nor is there a big foot rest for a kid to sit on.
I'm not sure if I'd be able to lay a newborn down towards the back of the seat and have toddler sitting upright as close to the edge as possible, like I line up 2 kids in my graco single.
A carrier is not such a good option for me especially in the summer, cuz I sweat alot and get very hot, and the thought of something else on me makes me feel faint already.

Is there any way I can work with what I have? Or do I have no choice but to go buy a valco or something with a toddler jump seat??
Please advise...

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 5:40 pm
I personally have a Vista with a RumbleSeat (& soon a piggyBack). It's perfect for a trio. But the Vista is also my single. BJ has a terrible rep for getting things out on time. Maybe you can bring your mini to a store & try out the board & use it until BJ comes out with a new one? Maybe it doesn't do amazingly, but it will be okay temporarily? Or maybe start teaching your 3.5 year old that s/he can walk. I can't imagine buying a new stroller for a nearly 4 year old. I have a 3 year old (just turned 3), who hasn't ridden in a stroller for months, except when we walk far on shabbos. That's her own mishegas, not mine, but she is getting pretty big for a stroller.

B"H

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 5:58 pm
sorry a little off topic. chaylizi, I have the vista and am expecting number two any day. do you like the rumble seat? is it comfortable and does it have enough room? does your kid mind being in the back? thanks!

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:09 pm
I also agree that its a waste to buy a stroller for an almost 4 year old. My son turned 3 a month after my 3rd child was born. I already had the valco and bought the 3rd seat option. My son started school at 3.5 years old. So I really only used it for 6 months. I used it alot because it was spring and summer most of that time and I was out alot. I doubt I would have done that if he wasn't my first kid. Isn't you kid starting school soon?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:14 pm
B"H wrote:
sorry a little off topic. chaylizi, I have the vista and am expecting number two any day. do you like the rumble seat? is it comfortable and does it have enough room? does your kid mind being in the back? thanks!

How old is your older child? I wouldn't use it if my kids were 13 months apart. My dd was 19 months when ds was born & we just love it. DD is now 3 & she still has plenty of room for herself & for her feet. But it doesn't recline at all. If you are interested though, UppaBaby seems to be coming out with a new version shortly that has an extended sunshade (like the main seat) & SPF protection in the canopy.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:16 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
Isn't you kid starting school soon?
If she's due in July, she's probably going to be depending on this stroller for any summer activities. School won't start until September, unless OP enrolls him in day camp.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:54 pm
this is OP

yes, my 3 year old is in school now already during the year, and we manage just fine to have him walk the block or so. But for the summer, he's going to be in day camp 12 blocks away. although he is capable of walking that distance, it could take all day. combined with the heat, a postpartum mom and a nursing baby who would probably need a feeding in the time it would take to get the 3 year old over there...I need a better option.

and of course there's the whole afternoon. day camp ends at 2:30 and I'd take them to the park or wherever. and the 2-3 weeks after camp is over until school starts...

Rodent

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:42 pm
We have a triple (double with reclining toddler seat (newborn - toddler) on top. You can get it with double on top (4 total) but I won't be even though my 3 1/2 year old still likes the pram. Eventually he needs to get used to walking so when the next one comes along he will be out. I'm not a huge user of carriers and fine them hot and restrictive also but on the few occasions where I feel the eldest NEEDS a pram I will be happy to use a carrier. Or see the last contraption I have posted a picture of, we will look into one of those over a seat for our oldest.

There are very few double/converting to triple options. We have an ABC Adventure Buggy. I think there is a Valco also, they are very different setups and I am happy with the decision we made. My eldest was 2 1/2 when #3 arrived and really needed it but if it was at this age I don't think I'd have outlayed the money for a triple. This is ours (the canopy comes out further but I tucked it back so the middle one could see better at the zoo):

Other options beside the board are one of the bike things. I'll see if I can find a link. They are like a bike that attaches to the side/back that they sit on.
Here, it's a Bibi Strolli Rider

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:53 pm
that strolli rider is adorable, but I really think any child who uses it needs a helmet. I'm really not crazy about that triple buggy though. it looks like it's taller than I am.

Rodent

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:03 pm
I'm 5'6" and have no issues. If you're 5' flat it's not the option for you.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:23 pm
I'm 5'8". It just looked really tall.

Rodent

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:22 pm
It's tall but maybe not as tall as you're imagining. I have the handlebar on the lowest setting but it can come out if you want it higher (I just can't be bothered because folded it fits better into my car this way and I don't want to put it in and out all the time). Maybe that would change the perspective? I dunno. The canopy on the top when covering that child is lower than when it's pulled back also but again, at the zoo I had it back for better vision (I could remove it entirely but when sleeping I like to have it there)

I recognise it's not for everyone, just that there aren't many options for adding a 3rd kid so showing one of those that is out there that most haven't seen (I get SOOOO many comments on it). I believe the Valco has a toddler seat on the front wheel. Some prefer that, personally I find that way harder to steer (even just single with that type of toddler seat) than having the weight over the main frame and wheels so I went the height option (and my kid still napped so a regular toddler seat when out for long periods was problematic). I also like the option of putting the newborn anywhere including the top (it fully reclines) so can face the baby which is rare for a triple. (I didn't do this as my now 3.5 year old is very tall (he's taller than most of the 5 year olds who live in our complex) and his head was close to the top so thought he'd be more comfy up the top).

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:31 pm
I have a problem with the valco toddler seat. It is right in the sun/rain & has no cover & it totally upsets the center of gravity of the stroller. My 3 year old hates strollers anyway, so the roller board is perfect for me. She is out, the second she wiggles out of the harness. It doesn't matter how tight I make it. She gets out immediately.

B"H

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:33 pm
chaylizi wrote:

How old is your older child?

he's 20 months. thanks for the info. I'm also a little worried about him being jealous and not wanting to ride on the back of a stroller that was once his. did you have that issue?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:35 pm
B"H wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

How old is your older child?

he's 20 months. thanks for the info. I'm also a little worried about him being jealous and not wanting to ride on the back of a stroller that was once his. did you have that issue?

Nope. DD loves the back seat. Her younger brother also took over her crib & her room. She managed to go on quite happily.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:46 pm
chaylizi wrote:
I have a problem with the valco toddler seat. It is right in the sun/rain & has no cover & it totally upsets the center of gravity of the stroller. My 3 year old hates strollers anyway, so the roller board is perfect for me. She is out, the second she wiggles out of the harness. It doesn't matter how tight I make it. She gets out immediately.

The newer valco toddler seats have covers and have 5 point-harnesses.
It's sold separately as an accessory.

B"H

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:53 pm
thanks!

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:56 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

The newer valco toddler seats have covers and have 5 point-harnesses.
It's sold separately as an accessory.

all my strollers have 5 pt harnesses. I just can't restrain her.

to have a valco toddler seat, one would need a valco stroller. I am perfectly happy with mine at the present time. I'm just not fond of valcos.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:19 pm
OK, I wrote a long reply and my computer crashed so I'll try to retype in short.

First of all, Rodent your kids are adorable ka"h.

OP, your kids are similiar ages as mine. When my baby was born my oldest just turned 3.5. At that point I didn't think it was necessary to buy a new stroller (I have the city mini double) even though I would love to sell the city mini and try the city select which can be used with the buggy board.

The buggy board can't work on the city mini since the mine double has a split in the handlebars right were the child's head comes up.

When I have to go out with all 3 kids I sit one kid on top of the parent console and hold onto him while I push. It's not the safest thing to do because the child is not strapped in, but I have no other option right now.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:29 pm
I had a kiddie board my 3 yr old stood on behind the stroller.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics