Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Stroller anxiety

amother

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:44 pm
How do you decide what stroller to buy?? I know what I need but I get so lost and overwhelmed when I read all the reviews. There are so many and each has pros and cons. My MIL wants to buy it for me and I don't want to end up with something that I hate! I know what my specs are but even that doesn't seem to help!

Any tips? How do you make the decision?

Chloe

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:00 pm
What type of stroller are you looking for?

A pram?
A bassinet?
A travel stroller?
A lightweight stroller?

What is your price range?

You have to decide what stroller you are looking for and what goes best with your lifestyle and what is your price range.
If you can list your options here we can possibly help you make a decision based on our experiences.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:01 pm
Lifestyle & features desired. Try and give us some details & then we can give you suggestions to look at & play around with.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:16 pm
OP here
I started another thread awhile back w my specs but can't seem to find it.
Anyways I need something that is good for the suburban lifestyle-I.e. in and out of the car a few times a day. So it has to be easy to fold, light enough to load into a car, and anything else that makes travelling by car easier. I'm not set on a travel system, especially since they started saying it's bad for babies to stay in carseats all day. Anything that can hold an infant and clip a carseat is fine.

It should be good for walking through stores, going to shul, etc.

The handle needs to be adjustable, bc DH is 7 inches taller than me. It can't have two handles (umbrella style) because I have carpal tunnel. I saw and really really liked the peg perego switch but it has two handles- know of anything comprable? (Or have a bad experience with the switch?)

I'm not someone who carried a lot of stuff around, although I hear that changes when you have a baby Smile so I'm not sure how important basket size is.

Thanks.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:24 pm
There are only a few strollers with height adjustable handles- many of those are not light weight. Also most of the lightweight (umbrella) strollers have umbrella style handles. I think you should take a look at the Mountain Buggy Swift. Another suggestion would be a Baby Jogger City Mini, but there is no height adjustable handles. Also check out the Valco Latitude & Ion (frankly I think the ion is a little weird looking, but you can't have everything). Take a look at those & I will keep looking.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:28 pm
You could also check out the Bugaboo Bee. Or the Bumbleride Indie.

I like the Switch. The one handled version of that would be the UppaBaby Vista. They are of similar weight. The Switch is 23 lbs & the Vista is about 24.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:37 pm
Thanks, chaylizi. You are super helpful!! Very Happy

I loooooved the switch- it's light enough and has a great fold, plus is reversible, plus has a good basket, plus pushed well- but it has umbrella handles.

What do you think about the umbrella handles? My carpal tunnel isn't severe at all- It's only in one wrist and I would say it flairs up about once a month or so, I wear a brace for a few hours or overnight and then everything is fine. But it seems to me that pushing a (heavy) stroller in only one hand position could make things very painful for me after a while.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:47 pm
If you think it would cause you pain, then don't do it. Umbrella handles are also much harder for one handed pushing. The Switch is pretty nice though.

If you do buy a one-handled stroller then buy a mommy hook to carry your bags & stuff. It's very handy.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 11:01 pm
thanks for the input--I'm going to look more into the ones you suggested tomorrow, and I'll probably come back with some questions Smile

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 11:03 pm
I'll bookmark & keep a look out.

g96be

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 11:39 pm
I think the Bugaboo Bee would be really great for you

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 11:45 pm
I also have carpal-tunnel, and also am a lot shorter than dh. We have the City Mini, and are very happy with it! It's handle is not adujstable, and is said to be good for tall people. I am 5"1, and find it comfortable. It steers very easily, even with one hand.
You can get all kinds of attachments for it, which are quite expensive. I had the infant seat adapter. Expensive, but very useful. When we were finished with it, I sold it easily on Craigslist, for 1/2 of what I paid for it. I believe there is a bassinet available for it, but I did not have that.
It is the fastest easiest folding stroller I have ever had or seen (this is my 6th baby, so we've had many strollers over the years!)

HTH,
Debbie

chaylizi

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:19 am
Just adding to what Boys R Us said, I have a city mini double (with no height adjustable handle) I do not own a single other stroller without that option. I hate kicking wheels. I am 5'8" & dh is 6'. Both of us are able to push it quite comfortably.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics