Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Is an expensive stroller worth it?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:50 am
Bh, we are expecting our first child soon.

Dh has completely left the stroller decision up to me, and told me to let him know how much it costs.

BH, we both work, and we are not poor, but we don't like to spend money just because that's what everyone is doing.

We Bh have the money, if we so decide, to spend $500-$700 on a stroller without breaking the bank.

However, I don't "need" a top of the line stroller and would have no issue with a graco quattro, if it would offer me the same benefits as say a quinny or valco or whatever.

My mentality is spend the money for something that's worth it.I have clothes from Target and Walmart and clothes from Marc Jacobs and Narcisco Rodriguez. Love them all, wouldn't buy a T-shirt from a designer boutique and wouldn't buy my leather winter boots from Target.
My mentality is that I try not to waste money on expensive things when a lower priced item does the job just as well. And I strongly dislike paying for a brand that everyone knows about- example-wouldn't wear a louis vuitton purse if you paid me, because its too identifiable as something expensive, but have a hogan bag with no label that costs just as much that I have no issue with, because it's not a status symbol or whatever.

So, based on my long parsha above Smile, here is my question:
Are more expensive strollers worth it?
What does a $600 stroller have that a $150 stroller doesn't?
What Maalos does your expensive stroller have?
What Maalos does your cheap stroller?
I want to hear from moms with cheap and expensive strollers.

THANKS!

racheleezzy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:07 am
I have the Graco snap and go and I love it. The car seat goes in and out of the car smoothly and then snaps righ into the base. I just found it an extremely smooth and easy carriage. In fact a friend of mine has the bumbleride, and she asked if she can borrow my snap and go for now bc she found she likes it better. When dd got older I put her in the city mini- LOVE it, its smooth and light and easy to fold.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:26 am
A stroller decision is very personal to you and your lifestyle. I can give suggestions, but I can't choose your price point for you.

As for the Snap N Go suggestion, all I can say is please use sparingly. Keeping your baby in a carseat for long periods of time is very unhealthy for him/her. It can lead to breathing problems & plagiocephaly (flat head). I would prefer to recommend a good stroller that either lies completely flat or has a bassinet attachment.

I can't recommend really cheap strollers for you (Graco, Kolcraft, Evenflo) because I am truly not fond of them. The Quattro (to use your example) weighs 30 lbs empty & is made totally of plastic. I am happy to recommend midprice or expensive strollers as you wish.
(BTW, I am also not fond of status strollers & don't recommend the more expensive Bugaboos to anyone for just that reason.)

My favorite features of all (personally) are: reversible seat, flat recline or bassinet and height adjustable handles (I'm tall). In keeping with my favorites, I have no problems telling you to check out (in no particular order)

Mountain Buggy (Urban or Swift)
Perego Switch
UppaBaby Vista
Baby Jogger City Series
Quinny Buzz
I'coo Pacific or Targo
iCandy
Mazi Cosi Loola (made by Bebe Confort, brought over last year)

Or you can check out one of the old standbys:

Inglesina Zippy
Perego P3
Maclaren Techno

racheleezzy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:33 am
chaylizi wrote:
A stroller decision is very personal to you and your lifestyle. I can give suggestions, but I can't choose your price point for you.

As for the Snap N Go suggestion, all I can say is please use sparingly. Keeping your baby in a carseat for long periods of time is very unhealthy for him/her. It can lead to breathing problems & plagiocephaly (flat head). I would prefer to recommend a good stroller that either lies completely flat or has a bassinet attachment.

I can't recommend really cheap strollers for you (Graco, Kolcraft, Evenflo) because I am truly not fond of them. The Quattro (to use your example) weighs 30 lbs empty & is made totally of plastic. I am happy to recommend midprice or expensive strollers as you wish.
(BTW, I am also not fond of status strollers & don't recommend the more expensive Bugaboos to anyone for just that reason.)

My favorite features of all (personally) are: reversible seat, flat recline or bassinet and height adjustable handles (I'm tall). In keeping with my favorites, I have no problems telling you to check out (in no particular order)

Mountain Buggy (Urban or Swift)
Perego Switch
UppaBaby Vista
Baby Jogger City Series
Quinny Buzz
I'coo Pacific or Targo
iCandy
Mazi Cosi Loola (made by Bebe Confort, brought over last year)

Or you can check out one of the old standbys:

Inglesina Zippy
Perego P3
Maclaren Techno

Having a baby lay flat in a bassinet can lead to the flat head also, unless you are laying them on their stomach.

Last edited by racheleezzy on Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:35 am
Generally, the more expensive strollers are lighter weight and have better steering. I say generally because money doesn't always guarantee that.

You need to decide what your lifestyle is like. Are you going into and out of the car a lot? If so, lightweight is one of the most important features. Never going into a car? You can get a heavy stroller then.

I loved my snap n go. I use it as my primary stroller for the first 6 months or so. For DS#1 I got a Maclaren Techno XLR that I really like. Now, I have a City Mini double which I absolutely love. My friend has the single and its great too. They have the most awesome sun shades.

I actually use my baby carrier (ERGO) more than my stroller.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:35 am
Just because you never heard it, doesn't mean it isn't true. It appalls me that parents do things more for their convenience and don't pay attention to what might be unhealthy for their child. It is definitely not personal preference. A car seat is molded plastic & a bassinet has a soft fabric mattress. In any case, so happy it worked for you but please don't recommend it. It really isn't good for them.

racheleezzy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:41 am
chaylizi wrote:
Just because you never heard it, doesn't mean it isn't true. It appalls me that parents do things more for their convenience and don't pay attention to what might be unhealthy for their child. It is definitely not personal preference. A car seat is molded plastic & a bassinet has a soft fabric mattress. In any case, so happy it worked for you but please don't recommend it. It really isn't good for them.

I really hope your not implying that I take my child's health for granted and do what is convenient for me. I researched my share of strollers, I found there to be no issue with the snap and go. I used it and loved it as well as others that I know.

Last edited by racheleezzy on Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:42 am
chaylizi wrote:
http://blogs.babiesonline.com/news/car-seats-a-risk/
http://pediatrics.aappublicati.....160v1
http://children.webmd.com/news.....UBLIC
http://www.healthfinder.gov/ne.....30294

just a sampler.

Chaylizi, we went through a 3 month spell where DS had to sleep in the swing or carseat because he had awful ear infections. What would you recommend in situations like that?

Emee

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:54 am
I agree that the snap and go is not so healthy for a baby, especially a newborn. A snap and go is something you buy in addition to a regular stroller. You will eventually need one anyways.

I wouldn't recommend the lower end strollers because they don't hold up and look nice over time. If you're planning to have a few kids, then better to invest in something that will last. On the other hand if you plan to buy a new stroller with each kid, I would go cheaper and get something cute.

I agree with chayalizi that you don't need a bugaboo. As for single carriages I have had 4 The Martinelli, the P3 the britax vigour and now the skate. I highly recommend the skate. It has a bassinet and a regular seat. The seat is reversible so it can face you etc. I would not recommend the vigour. The wheels don't push so well and I had issues with the seat.

The other important thing is: are you living in a place where you drive a lot or is this a walking stroller? If you walk alot I would prefer to have my baby facing me and ideally in a bassinet. In that case I think the skate, the vista and the bugaboo are the best for that. Maybe others too but my baby is 2 so I am out of the loop a bit!

The great thing about the vista is eventually you can add the extra seat making it a double!!

anuta

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 9:55 am
I find that many parents who buy expensive strollers justify it as "they will last me longer", but in reality they just like strollers and then find another expensive one that's the latest and greatest and fits their needs better, so they end up spending more money.

With what you described though, I think you are a practical person and for you it wont' be a problem.
IMHO you should look for a proven good quality stroller that fits your needs, and be prepared that you might need several - because your needs will change with your growing family - but chose those several so that they will last you as long as possible.

Here is what I did. I did buy a good quality relatively light and compact full-function stroller for my first child, more than 6 years ago. I still have it, in almost perfect condition, after heavy use for many years, and will use it for my third child expected in two months. It is Zooper (I am a fan of the brand) Z-street. I got last year's model at the time for about $150 or $170 on big sale, but those are considered good quality strollers, with metal frames etc, a step above mass-market ones. Similar strollers are Inglezina Zippy and Maclaren Techno, and Zooper has a similar model now, but under another name. Basically a full functional umbrella stroller. I wouldn't recommend Peg Perego Pliko, because my sister was having her first baby at the same time, went with that stroller, and by the time her second came along two years later, my stroller looked like new, and hers was a rattly one with use that showed.... it has too much plastic for my taste. I know it is one of the better brand strollers and ppl love it, but this has been our experience.

But that didn't fill all my needs, because I wanted a reversible seat bigger stroller for long local walks on unpaved park roads - I got a Zooper Boogie 6 years ago also (still have it, will use it again). Its a three-wheel reversible seat stroller that can be flat for an infant.

And, finally, I had to have a double stroller with inflatable wheels for when I had two kids, for long walks to the park or to/from shul. It is heavily used but I decided that the perceived quality margin is not enough for me to fork out hundreds of dollars for Valco or BabyJogger, and bought a used jogging stroller from Craigslist (Schwinn) for $75. It was a good workhourse until one of my au pairs broke it (not sure it was a stroller quality issue, I think it was a misuse issue on her part). I couldn't find a replacement on Cragslist quick enough, so I bought a new similar Schwinn from Walmart for under $200. It is still going strong after a year of heavy use with now heavy kids (6 and almost 4 y.o.)

So IMHO you have to look at your lifestyle, where you live, what you will be doing with the stroller, and make your decisions based on that.
Also don't delude yourself that you will need one stroller forever. Most people who bought Bugaboo frog said that, but all I know ended up with a second MacLauren umbrella stroller for travel.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:05 am
racheleezzy wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

I really hope your not implying that I take my child's health for granted and do what is convenient for me. I researched my share of strollers, I found there to be no issue with the snap and go. I used it and loved it as well as others that I know.

I hope you are not just being defensive because it is clear that you didn't do any research into car seat safety & you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by chaylizi on Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:07 am
saw50st8 wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

just a sampler.

Chaylizi, we went through a 3 month spell where DS had to sleep in the swing or carseat because he had awful ear infections. What would you recommend in situations like that?

Talk you your pediatrician. There are certain circumstances where they try and work out a solution (other than lying flat back to sleep). I should know, I had 3 with reflux. Putting them flat was awful. None of them slept in a car seat.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:09 am
Emee wrote:
The great thing about the vista is eventually you can add the extra seat making it a double!!

This summer we are IYH planning to have both seats & the piggyback in use. 3 times the fun.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:11 am
chaylizi wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

just a sampler.

Talk you your pediatrician. There are certain circumstances where they try and work out a solution (other than lying flat back to sleep). I should know, I had 3 with reflux. Putting them flat was awful. None of them slept in a car seat.

Our pediatrician recommended this. He's generally very knowledgable.

What did you end up doing?

Tilting the crib slightly didnt' work out.

GetReal

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:16 am
I have an Inglesina Zippy, and love it. So easy to fold, even with one hand, pushed well, went almost flat. Then when ds2 was born I got the city mini double and I realized two big advantages over the Zippy - the steering was SO much better, and the one handle over two - I could push with one hand. If I was in the market for a single now I would look for one with those two advantages. Check out the City Mini, I never tried it but I love love love my city mini double.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:16 am
I'll pm you. I don't want to hijack OPs thread.

zigi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:17 am
like some other people said. I do think that a more expensive stroller really does hold up better.

what I learned from experience is that you can go buy a good stroller for you baby. a really good single with almost all of the features that you need.- I said almost b/c I wound up needing a umbrellla stroller for easy folding and really light weight,

we bought with the future in mind , we got a stroller that can be converted to a double. at that time it was a good idea to get the valco with a toddler jumpseat. I would also like the uppa baby vista or the new baby jogger city select. b/c they have full sized jumpseats, where a baby can be totally supported.

if you have kids close apart like 18 months or less its really worth it to get a really good double stroller if you are going to be out a lot.

I have a valco trimode with toddler seat. it folds pretty easy. it has a toddler seat. it also pushes really well.
I also had a maclaren quest. it was easy to bump up stairs. I got it used from craigslist. it was still going strong. but it got stolen.
I have a baby trend sit and stand. the hood broke off the 3rd time I folded it. other wise it can hold the weight of 3 kids and I still have it after 3 years. it is harder to push.
I also have a jeep umbrella stroller. I use it for the bus and subway. it doesn't recline. so its for 6 months and up. I had it for 5 1/2 years

racheleezzy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:19 am
chaylizi wrote:
racheleezzy wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

I hope you are not just being defensive because it is clear that you didn't do any research into car seat safety & you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for being extremely rude, seeing as you know me so well its obviousl;y clear I didn't do my research. Let me be perfectly clear, You dont know me or what kind of research I did or that I asked my pediatrician about the stroller. Dont make blanket statements when you have no idea who I am.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:21 am
anuta wrote:
I find that many parents who buy expensive strollers justify it as "they will last me longer", but in reality they just like strollers and then find another expensive one that's the latest and greatest and fits their needs better, so they end up spending more money.

Expensive strollers also have a better resale value. I have made a nice chunk of what I paid off most of them. So in the long run, my strollers aren't so expensive. I make a nice portion of my investment back.

Also, most people buy a lightweight stroller at some point. Most strollers are not good for everything. My cousin who is an engineer told me that there will never be such a thing as the perfect baby stroller. That would be because features will always add weight. You will never find a perfect full featured stroller for a newborn that is light enough to sling in the car for the park. (plus I'd prefer to have a cheapo stroller to let my kids throw sand in).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics