Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Had to mechalel shabat today....
1  2  Next

Soph

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:02 pm
Yes...just how u read it!! my 1 year old girl woke up with almost 104 fever!!! afer not sleeping all night, cough congestion, no med would bring t down, gave her cataflan and made her throw up baaaddly, bh I have a sitter and sent her to buy a supository for reducing the fever...after all I had to talk on the phonw wth the doctor (altough the sitter phoned him) after that I sent her in a cab with the baby sitter to the doctor n I walked there, let me tell u.. here in panama the weather is close to what it would be like to living in the sun!!! and im 7 months preg...after all bh he gave her a shot of antibiotics and we came back...(I walked again) im nauseous right now, threw up twice todat...but bh my girl is assleep...hope she stayis that way until tomorrow morning....what would u do?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:04 pm
Wow, Refuah Shelaima to your daughter and I hope you feel better quickly too!
I think you did fine Soph.

Raizle

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:07 pm
Refuah Sh'laima

I think I would have gone in the car with the kid. First of all you aren't really doing a malacha, the [gentile] is doing it and he isn't doing it for you he is doing it for the sick child.
Second I think the toddler would need her mother with her, but your child may be comfortable with the sitter so I guess that works for you.

However I'm not a rov so don't take what I said as a psak.

Soph

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:10 pm
thanks for answering...im happy to see im not alone!!

Atali

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:13 pm
I probably would have taken DD to the emergency room in a taxi. I heard that it is very serious for a young toddler to have a fever that high.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:18 pm
I was also Mechalel Shabbos today. Ds passed out for a few seconds after falling off a chair. He's fine, B"H, but I called Hatzoloh to send dh home from Shule to check him out. (He has passed out many times before, from holding his breath. The difference was that this time he stayed out for a few seconds. Usually he wakes up right away.)

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 12:31 am
the world's best mom my son does the same thing, its call breath holding spells. Its freaky to see but fine.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 12:37 am
Was Mechalal Shabbos last shabbos (anon because people know about it). I had to call poison control TWICE on shabbos! My baby drank paraffin at a guests house!

bnm

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 12:52 am
the week I took my daughter to the emergency room for dehydration I called the dr a few times on shabbos and the heimishe dr got called by the emergency room a few times too. Pikuach Nefesh comes before Shabbos....

Chloe

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 12:55 am
Why do you people call this Mechalel Shabbos?
Pikuach Nefesh Doyche Shabbos. You're not being Mechalel Shabbos if it falls under this category.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:07 am
my rav says that if there is even a question as to the wellbeing of a child who is hurt or very ill that there is no question that you are not mechalel shabbat. my child had an accident on a shabbat/chag and not only did we drive him to the hospital, we had to have an emergency appointment with another doc the next day because of danger of infection (where they were going to turn on a TV to distract him but we asked them not to and we finally explained why- to a muslim nurse wearing a hijab no less and they were respectful and did not turn it on).

I spoke to two ravs about it before we even went to the hospital (just ran into them as we were heading to tell another kid where we were going) and both of them said 'GO!!!' of course you should drive him ASAP to the hospital. I would have gone anyways, even if I had not seen them though, because it was clear that there was a probable head injury and as it turned out also a fracture in a body part that can become necrotic if not treated (although we did not know that until we were at the hospital.) if we had waited, we could have created a number of very serious problems for him.

if in doubt in an emergency I will always first get medical help and ask questions later. my rav went so far as to say that if worrying about whether an injury is serious can ruin your oneg shabbat, you should get help asap. do what you need to do. period.

in addition, if you learn the rules of what we can and cannot ask a non jew to do for us, going to a drug store to buy stuff on shabbat or chag in the situation where a person is sick, especially a child, there is room to do so. even without a hint. that would be if they were sick but not an emergency. anyways, you can always ask your LOR, but in our house we are now clear on the fact that emergencies are treated first and we don't feel bad about it. period.

e1234

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:45 am
it is very important to know that if there is a question of a choleh syesh bo sakanah -- you are mechuyav to be mechalel shabbos

this is very important to know - I know someone who waited to take a child to the hospital until after shabbos when having seizures - this is 100% wrong - ask your rav but if you learn the halachos you are correct to be mechlel shabbos if a person is in sakanah.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 4:19 am
I had to take my baby to the emergency room on Friday afternoon, and we got discharged about 20 minutes after Shabbos started. My rav said I can ask the nurses to call a non-jewish taxi driver, and I am allowed to ride with him, even though no one was in any danger any more. I didn't light Shabbos candles that week either, but sent home DH about 20 minutes before Shabbos, when we already knew all was going to be ok, and he did it for me.
Felt strange, but you do what have to do.

Inspired

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:46 am
refuah shelaima. Such is life if there is illness.

energy11

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:50 am
We had same thing on Pesssach.
My kids were on a hammac after the meal and got wild...my 7 years old daughter walked by and got hit from a kick and sent to a plant - the plant holder cut her head bad. She was bleeding profusely on her white dress. We had to run to emergency room and be Mechalel...(she got stitches)
We didn't eat the afikoma that night - it fels real weird!

Barouch Hashem we are in Chul and had another seder th next day!!

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 3:29 pm
This thread is very disturbing. I do not consider that I have been mechallel shabbat when my son was born on shabbat. When I needed to drive to the ER when I was vomiting blood when I was 6 weeks pregnant. When I needed to take my son to the hospital for anaphylactic allergic reactions on shabbat. When I went to the ER for a gall bladder attack on shabbat.

When you go to a ER on shabbat, you are fulfilling the mitzva of saving a life. Do you think hatzolah members are being mechallel shabbat every time they drive to and from an Emergency?

Anyone who thinks that these things are mechallel shabbat is ignorant and a chossid shoyte. Anyone who thinks a life threatening situation is mechallel shabbat should be embarrassed.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 3:34 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
the world's best mom my son does the same thing, its call breath holding spells. Its freaky to see but fine.

My friend had that with her dd, she blew on her (a little air) to distract her and it usually worked.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 5:02 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
This thread is very disturbing. I do not consider that I have been mechallel shabbat when my son was born on shabbat. When I needed to drive to the ER when I was vomiting blood when I was 6 weeks pregnant. When I needed to take my son to the hospital for anaphylactic allergic reactions on shabbat. When I went to the ER for a gall bladder attack on shabbat.

When you go to a ER on shabbat, you are fulfilling the mitzva of saving a life. Do you think hatzolah members are being mechallel shabbat every time they drive to and from an Emergency?

Anyone who thinks that these things are mechallel shabbat is ignorant and a chossid shoyte. Anyone who thinks a life threatening situation is mechallel shabbat should be embarrassed.

The problem is the term "Mechalel Shabbos." Most people simply use it to mean doing anything that is normally not allowed on Shabbos. They don't mean that they did a bad thing, though.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:12 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

The problem is the term "Mechalel Shabbos." Most people simply use it to mean doing anything that is normally not allowed on Shabbos. They don't mean that they did a bad thing, though.

a thread titled I was mechallel shabbat, Sounds bad. Using the term mechallel shabbat, when you did not do it intentionally or even accidentally is wrong. When you have a life threatening situation, the term mechallel shabbat is wrong. Even if you don't mean it as a bad thing. Being mechallel shabbat is a very bad thing, taking care of someones life is not a bad thing, and therefore cannot be mechallel shabbat.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:36 pm
mechalel means desecration. not something you do not normally do on shabbat.

the very element of pikuach nefesh makes it NOT mechalel. it is still something you might not normally do, but it is not mechalel in that situation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics