Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where to move? - Good Schools, Affordable Housing, Etc...
1  2  3  Next

MrsDash

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:35 pm
Any advice/suggestions/info on where to relocate?
Friendly community?
Affordable housing (under $250,000)?
Nice, well rounded day schools and perhaps high schools in town or near by?
University/Community College near by that offer RN programs (without a 2+ year waiting list!)?
Any other Pluses about the community?

TIA!!! Wink

amother

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:43 pm
Detroit?

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 8:59 pm
Mars?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 9:14 pm
Atlanta

hila

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 10:04 pm
Beer Sheva, Drom Har Chevron, Haifa area, Modiin area - theough 250k may be too little.

But schooling is cheap, nursing school free for Olim.

MidwestMommy

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 10:16 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
Mars?

LOL. Smile It's sad, but probably true.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 10:42 pm
Mars was my first choice, but I hear them martians don't play nice Wink

Israel is my dream home, but sadly not at this current time...

Atlanta and Detroit sound promising. Can you elaborate? Any tiny bit of info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

shanie5

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 9:57 am
Scranton? well, not sure about the nursing school, but there is a new medical college..................

busydev

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 10:00 am
cleveland (fits most of your criteria I think)... but dunno about nursing schools...

I would also say chicago, but I think housing is a little more expensive- but I dunno...

busydev

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 10:08 am
yoshi wrote:

Atlanta and Detroit sound promising. Can you elaborate? Any tiny bit of info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dunno atlanta.

my in laws live in detroit...
you can get pretty cheap houses there- my husbands grandparents got a foreclosed house that needed only a little work for 50,000 in southfield but that was a steal.
Very friendly community. small, warm and nice (from my perspective that is)
2 good elementry schools - Bais Yehuda and Darchei Torah. I may be wrong on this but I think that DT is a little more yeshivish and BY is a little more mixed- but its still a bais yakov type. both have boys and girls divisons and girls high schools. there is also a more mizrachi school- dunno much about it.
there is also detroit yeshiva for high school and bais medrash.
there are community colleges but dunno about the nursing programs.
Its pretty, lots of grass and area. space between houses.
two basic neighborhoods- southfield and oakpark. based on what I think ( I could be wrong it could just be the parts of each community I have been in) oakpark is a little more yeshivish- tho they all have mixes both ways. the two neighborhoods are right next to each other there is just a busy street in the middle

amother

Post Fri, Apr 30 2010, 10:14 am
busydev wrote:
yoshi wrote:

Thanks!

dunno atlanta.

my in laws live in detroit...
you can get pretty cheap houses there- my husbands grandparents got a foreclosed house that needed only a little work for 50,000 in southfield but that was a steal.
Very friendly community. small, warm and nice (from my perspective that is)
2 good elementry schools - Bais Yehuda and Darchei Torah. I may be wrong on this but I think that DT is a little more yeshivish and BY is a little more mixed- but its still a bais yakov type. both have boys and girls divisons and girls high schools. there is also a more mizrachi school- dunno much about it.
there is also detroit yeshiva for high school and bais medrash.
there are community colleges but dunno about the nursing programs.
Its pretty, lots of grass and area. space between houses.
two basic neighborhoods- southfield and oakpark. based on what I think ( I could be wrong it could just be the parts of each community I have been in) oakpark is a little more yeshivish- tho they all have mixes both ways. the two neighborhoods are right next to each other there is just a busy street in the middle

This is exactly right!

You might find this helpful-

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....troit

... and if you move here, you can be my running buddy!!! LOL

Soul on fire

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 5:18 pm
NE Philly...is mostly friendly, housing is very reasonable, there are several shuls here, the schools are....ok...and there are tons of good colleges nearby. I don't love it here...so I can't give glowing recommendations but I think it does fit most of your requirements.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 7:23 pm
yoshi wrote:

Thanks!

What a horrible thing to say about the people of Mars. I mean, it doesn't fit your criteria -- I don't think there's a Jewish community there -- and its economically depressed, but I'm sure the people are very nice.

You did mean Mars, Pennsylvania, didn't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.....vania

[Sorry, no ideas]

mirish

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 9:39 am
shanie5 wrote:
Scranton? well, not sure about the nursing school, but there is a new medical college..................

Are you talking from Scranton PA? I heard once from that place, do you live there? If so, could you give me some more info on that place?
thanks

ChayaZ09

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 1:06 pm
My in-laws lived in Scranton for a long time. It is a nice, small community. It does have a day school, a yeshiva and a girl's high school- but all are understandably small. There are a few shuls in what is referred to as the "Hill" section of the city, in close proximity to a few colleges (The University of Scranton, Marywood University, and Lackawanna College). There are also 3 or 4 hospitals in that section of the city, which is good if you get a nursing degree and then want to find a job near home. The biggest downside is probably like that of any small community- there aren't any kosher restaurants, not many options for groceries, and the schools are very small (a few girls at most per class in the bais yaakov). Homes are very reasonably priced- large 4/5 bedroom homes can be found for under $200k. The cost of living is generally lower, but so are wages. I think it's all relative in the end.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 1:09 pm
How come no one has mentioned Baltimore? There are tons of universities/nursing schools and through the CHAI agency you can get help with buying a house in the Park Heights area. It may not be the fancies area but there are lots of Jews, Schuls and Schools and you can buy a house for under 250k.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 1:20 pm
Another Baltimore cheerleader here.

Reasonably priced housing, more achdus among people who do not completely agree hashkafically than other cities with which I am familiar, an accepting place, and just a nice place to live overall.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 2:01 pm
Dont know if the weather would get you down, but I vote Minneapolis!
Small, warm community. Day school and bais yaakov with a mix of people (on the yeshivaish side). Strong Kollel, couple shuls. Housing is about your price range.

Only downside is the winter, and the lack of a high school option for boys.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 2:26 pm
atlanta sounds awesome just because of the weather over there. just north of florida, right? yum...

ssbarnes

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 5:44 pm
We moved to St. Louis last year looking for many of the same things that you are requesting.

Reasonable cost of living.
Heimeishe community.
2 Day schools K-8 (MoDox & Yeshivish)
HIgh Schools Block Yeshiva (Boys and Girls divisions on sepparate campuses)
Bais Yaakov & MTI (Chofetz Chaim HS)
Kollel
In the University City area we have 6 shuls in the eruv. Chesterfield is 30 minutes west w/ 2 more
Kohn's meat & deli
Pareve Indian Restaurant (reasonably priced AYCE Buffet)
Krisy Kreme
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard
Maggie Moos
Mound City Nut Co
Universities - UMSL, Wash U, SLU, etc
Nursing programs
Barnes Jewish Hospital

etc, etc, etc

Best of all - amazing Ahavas Yisroel
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating