Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Was my Tipping unnecessary?

Do you think giving a tip for a free oil change was unnecessary?
Yes  
 41%  [ 10 ]
No  
 58%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 24

queen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:24 pm
We received in the mail a coupon for a free oil change from the local gas station. When picking up car this morning, I gave a $4 tip as I didn't want man to think that Jews are cheap.

We don't plan on using them for any other services, and all that was done was an oil change. I know they are the ones that gave the coupon, but it's a ploy to get us to become steady customers- which I know wont be the case.

Do you think giving the tip was unnecessary?

supermom

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:28 pm
I voted no but now that I read your post I think you gave them too much. You should have given them a dollar or two the max.

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:29 pm
we recieve those coupons as well, and my husband also tips but not $4 , maybe like two

jewgal84

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:56 pm
supermom wrote:
I voted no but now that I read your post I think you gave them too much. You should have given them a dollar or two the max.

I agree!!

Giving tips are never a bad thing, it's how much you give... Wink !

Tovah

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:58 pm
today it's expected to tip for so many things that I alsways tip even if u don't have to.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 3:04 pm
I never know what you're supposed to tip for. When I lived in NY, I found that people tipped for almost everything. When I got my bed delivered in NY, I asked a local friend if I should tip, she said yes. I also asked my mom, who lives out of town, and she said that she's never heard of tipping. (I ended up tipping).

When I got furniture delivered in Baltimore, I tipped, and the delivery guy looked very surprised.

I'm very curious, do most people tip the guy that delivers furniture? Do they rely on tips or receive a normal salary?

anon

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 3:49 pm
I read the poll wrong. I answered YES, but I really meant to answer NO.

I think you should tip, but only 1 or 2 dollars. You didn't need to give more. And if we're going along with the idea that jews are cheap, then this might not be the best site to ask this type of advice Wink

chen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 4:15 pm
Tipping people who deliver furniture is customary.
even where tipping is not customary, it is always appreciated and is never "wrong". the standard etiquette books say not to tip the owner of the business, just the employees.

queen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 4:48 pm
My question was not regarding HOW MUCH I tipped, but rather if you felt it was totally unnecessary.... that's all Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics