Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
1  2  3  Next

small bean

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 3:53 pm
Anyone hear read the Oultlander series by Diana Gabaldon? I am in middle of the second one.

I'm really enjoying it.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 3:55 pm
I read the first one and couldn't get through the second.

small bean

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 3:57 pm
the second one is not as good as the first and I'm sure they get more boring as you go on...

I am waiting for her to go back again - which I think happens in the beginning of the 3rd.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 4:30 pm
like it. love it. adore it.
A few of the books are harder to get through, but after you have read it, you realize how important the book was.
There are 7 books so far. My fa are 4, 6 and 7. IT gets more intricate and intertwined as the books go on. Whenever a new books comes out, my husband knows that no housework or cooking will be done until I finish the book. Then he reads it. And then many other ppl in my local community ask me if they can borrow it. Then I read it again.

Dont.stop.reading. Even if a part seems slow, it will be worth it in the end.

As an incentive to get you to keep reading, I will answer 5 questions (each) from anyone who is part way through and wants to get a hint of the future.

LOVE. IT.

(BTW, I got to have a 1 hr sit down 1-on-1 with Diana Gabaldon a few years ago)

small bean

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 4:37 pm
I want to know one thing - does jamie know that she's preg when he sends her back (2nd book) - I'm up to the war.

when is book #8 coming out?

how'd you get to meet her?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 4:47 pm
1) yes. Thats why he sends her back

2) not sure. #7 just came out this past Sept. She also has side books concerning a minor (but important) character you will technically meet in this book, but wont actually know until book 3. The side books I dont like so much. She also ahs a graphic novel coming out this upcoming Sept, which is pretty much a comic book for adults that revisits the 1st book from different POVs
http://search.barnesandnoble.c.....aldon
She has also worked on short stories that have ended up in compilation books.

3)She was coming to town for a Historical Fiction conference but all the scheduled events were on Shabbos. So (I knew she posted on a forum somewhere that I had been to before) I simply explained the situation and asked if we could meet Thurs afternoon before the conference started!!

SavtaHelen

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 4:58 pm
It took me FOREVER to get in to and read the first book. Everyone kept telling me how great it was and I could not get thru it. After about ten tries, I LOVED it and could not put it down. I have read all except the last, which I took out of the library when I was in the states (Echo in the Bone?) but couldn't finish in the ten days tht I was there. It was over 30 dollars in NY so I didn't buy it...

I forget so many details so it is hard to keep track of all the subissues, but great read in any case!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 5:07 pm
thats why I re-read. it is worth it to re -read multiple times, because you catch nuances each time you didnt notice previously

small bean

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:04 am
that's really cool that you met her.

I just finished the second, now I have to get the third. but I really want to skip to the 4th -cuz you say that was one of your favorite.... I won't cuz I'm curious to see jamies reaction when she comes back.... and all the other ppl's, like jenny and ian.

jamie obviously doesn't remmarry this whole time - why doesn't he? he expects Claire to come back?

cdawnr

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:30 am
Small Bean,

Just keep reading.

Great series but I felt there are too many gratuitus S scenes...unnecessary to me. Did not care for #7, too complex and way too much S

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 12:51 pm
Bean
to answer you question- Im not telling, neener neener neener

Tila

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 5:33 pm
BIG FAN!!!! HUGE!!!! I adore her!!! cannot wait for the next one!! I am now reading INTO THE WILDERNESS by Sara Donati. Same gendre...she even pulls Jamie, Ian, and claire into a chapter...well, they are memntnioned....I highly reccomed this series!!!

Tila

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 5:36 pm
You met her????? When was she in Albany??????

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 8:53 am
Yes, when she was in Albany for a Historical writers convention 4(?) years ago. All the events were on Shabbos, so I asked her (she used to belong to an open forum on compuserve) if we could meet another time. she gave me a hour of time for a 1 on 1 sit down- it was great!

MommytoB

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 9:52 am
One of my all time favorite series! I have read an reread them many times. I remember nursing one of my babies and reading the books at the same time and my husband would ask "didn't you just nurse the baby???" Some books are slower than others but all important. You can also download the audio versions from audible.com (make sure it is unabridged).

"(BTW, I got to have a 1 hr sit down 1-on-1 with Diana Gabaldon a few years ago)" -- that is so cool! What was she like?

small bean

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 10:05 am
I'm up to #4 and plan on getting it tomorrow.

Which of her other books are good?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 11:30 am
#5 was a bit long winded, but she makes up for it in #6 and #7 (which I just finished re-reading over Shabbos)

cranberry

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:50 pm
I've read 1-6 a few times, and decided to read them all again before reading #7 for the first time. The problem is that when I took out #2 to reread, I saw that a section in the back had come apart from the binding. A few days later, I realized that that unbound section is missing. I've looked all over my house, but I can't figure out where it went. I have up to the part where Jamie and Claire have left his grandfather Fraser's castle and returned to Lallybroch.

I think I remember the main points of what happens in the missing section, but can someone remind me just in case? It's been a few years since I last read the series. Thanks so much.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 4:57 pm
how far after that? Whats the first thing after the missing section?

small bean

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 4:05 pm
I just finished reading #7 and I dont think I can wait all that long for #8 being that #7 didn't tie everything together... oh well!!

maybe I'll start the john grey series in the meantime
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room