Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
FYI Work at home MOms-- gr8 article

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 4:10 pm
Binah had an article by Etka Gittel Schwartz this week interviewing 9 women who work from home and how they do it.

Did any of you read it? What did you think?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 4:24 pm
I LOVED IT.

shalhevet

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 11:30 pm
Thanks for telling me - is it the Binah that came out this Monday? Because it gets here today and I'll buy it then.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 11:37 pm
Thank you for posting this, I'll have to go get it.

Sherri

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 12:33 am
Recognize some of the blurbs? http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....12235

Tova

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 10:13 pm
Just to add, the series of articles covered many situations - work at home, work out of home, stay at home.

I was a touch bothered by one sentence by one of the SAHM's - "A mother will have to give a din vecheshbon for every minute in which her baby cries from hunger." (I don't have the Binah in front of me but I think that's a direct quote).

I just think us Mommies are doing a great job and we all have to juggle and this seems a bit guilt-inducing. [I also take issue with the wording as if it is something we will be asked after 120 years.] It is inevitable that a baby will cry from hunger - I may be on the way home from the supermarket and can't feed baby 'til I get home, maybe I am in the shower (trying to be as quick as possible), maybe another child needs immediate attention. I think responding to our babies' hunger cries is the LAST thing we need to worry about as mothers - what mother does not try to respond to such cries as soon as humanly possible?

amother

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 6:41 am
Tova-- good point! Please write a letter to the editor!

editor@binahmagazine.com

I happen to know the writer (a relative of mine) and respect her very much but I think the article could make a lot of us feel bad. I plan to write a letter about the issue. In general, I think it was great and look forward to part 2.

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 9:34 am
I read the article and I thought it was in general very good. I usually buy the mishpacha but decided this week, I wanted something lighter so I opted for the Binah. Really interesting read.
I also was a bit put off by that article. It seemed slightly patronizing to working mothers. I think it would of been nicer just to hear about her experiences etc as a SAHM instead. There are definitely struggles to the SAHM scenario as well as the working moms one- I did not feel that was adequately portrayed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers