Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO Spicy, hearty Cholent

Justlookup

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:12 pm
I've been trying out different cholent recipes from cookbooks and still haven't found 'it' - I.e. a really good cholent. Sounds funny, but I like the kind caterers make - you know, hot, spicy, hearty-goulashy etc. etc.
Anyone have a spicy, delicious cholent recipe? I'm trying to figure out what makes the 'kick' in cholent - is it just a lot more black pepper?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:16 pm
Red pepper flakes will usually do the trick to make things hotter.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:20 pm
Did you try Susie Fishbein's cholent recipe from her first cookbook?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:30 pm
We add whole garlic cloves... that gives it a mellow garlicy flavor. Not overly spicy, but so delish!

yummydd

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:39 pm
I add a little barbecue sauce to mine, plus all the other flavorings. It adds something....

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:39 pm
Cholent - KBD

3-4 beef bones
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 lb. beef stew or flanken
1/2 cup pearl barley
3/4 cup cholent beans (or 1/4 cup red kidney beans, 1/4 cup white navy beans and 1/4 cup lima beans)
1 large onion quartered
salt
pepper
paprika
minced onion
garlic powder
1 roll kishka
1/2 cup ketchup
1 (12 oz) can regular Coca Cola

Place the beef bones, potatoes, beef, barley, beans, and onion into the crockpot in the order listed. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, minced onion and garlic powder.
Place the unwrapped kishka roll on top. Add in the ketchup and can of soda.
Add water to come to the top of the pot.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours, then before Shabbos, turn the heat setting to LOW and cook overnight or until ready to serve.

(This makes a lot of cholent, so halve the recipe if you have a smaller crockpot.)

babula

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:14 pm
I brown some onion and add meat, paprika, wheat berries, brown sugar and lots and lots of fresh ground black pepper. The taste is a little like yerushalmi kugel both sweet and spicy. DH hates most cholent but he likes this one Smile .

busydev

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:18 pm
my husband's latest that is pretty good is meat and barbq sauce and water to cover meat in crock pot fri morning.
then add beans and barely and potatos and salt and some honey and a garlic clove and more water and some onion powder and a little pepper. this is added in the mid afternoon.

Its really good.

my BIL puts in a lot of other interesting things- like flat coke and beer. its also quite good.

msym

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:47 pm
ChayaG wrote:
I've been trying out different cholent recipes from cookbooks and still haven't found 'it' - I.e. a really good cholent. Sounds funny, but I like the kind caterers make - you know, hot, spicy, hearty-goulashy etc. etc.
Anyone have a spicy, delicious cholent recipe? I'm trying to figure out what makes the 'kick' in cholent - is it just a lot more black pepper?

I know EXACTLY what you mean! ive been married for almost 6 years bh and still cannot make a decent chulent! let me know when you findthe magic recipe!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:04 pm
A (long closed) take out place here used to have the best cholent. I knew the owner and asked her what the secret was. Her answer was no seasoning other than salt and pepper (plus fresh onions and garlic). Absolutely no ketchup or anything of that sort.

Only change I've made to that is to add a large chunk of kishka crumbled into the mixture.

RachelB

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 6:18 pm
onion soup mix (msg free), chili powder and a little ketchup!

shaini

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 10:11 pm
I like adding small quantity of ready prepared mustard which adds just a little 'kick' to the flavour and lots of paprika and occasionally a small quantity of very finely chopped hot pepper. I also mostly use oxtail as it gives a slightly but not overwhelmingly smokey type flavour. Some people also add curry powder.

lollypop8

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 5:25 am
I figured out the secret to a good cholent. Oil! It serves as a binding agent, making it have a more hearty creamy texture. I start my cholent by putting a layer of oil at the bottom of the crock pot. I then dice in an onion, put in the meat, beans, barley and potatoes. Add water to cover. Then I spice with salt,pepper, garlic and onion powder and paprika. I also put in ketchup, soy sauce, cola, spicy mustard and a little coffee(makes the meat tender) and finally to add the extra kick I sprinkle in a bit of Cayenne pepper. I stick in a kiska wrapped in parchment paper a bit before shabbos, so that it doesn't dissolve into the cholent.

The cholent comes out amazing! Its so good that you just want to have more and more!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:29 am
LOTS of paprika, sauteed onions. If you want some kicks, you can add harissa (french one with garlic is the best).

mamacita

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:02 pm
any of the following:

garlic
chili powder
peppers (like jalepenos)
paprika

My secret ingredient in montreal steak seasoning. It actually has a bit of all the above, yum! I love a good kick to the cholent!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen