Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Keeping food warm for friday night

amother

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:21 am
how do I warm up food before shabbos and keep it warm for the meal? how do I do the towel thing?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 10:21 am
In some respects, it's easier to make chiscken and cholent on Friday afternoon, and then put it on a blech or plata. alternatively, you ould keep chicken in an oven and set a timer to turn it off.

The towel thing must be done before Shabbos, and cannot be rewrapped; it's k'dai to ask a rov about the dinim of the oven, plata, and towel, so you do it correctly.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 11:12 am
I always cook my chicken right before shabbos and leave it in the oven on low and set the timer to go off just before we are ready to eat it.

Otherwise you can leave stuff on the blech, or a plata. A plata will heat kugels and other food up if it is left on for long enough.

notme

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 11:24 am
You don't have a blech? Well sometimes I let the soup bubble right before candle lighting, then turn off burner and wrap it in a few towels, works beautifully. For chicken or kugels etc you can turn the oven up really high half hr before candle lighting, then turn it off. (but make sure you unscrew the oven light bulb!)

bashinda

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 11:31 am
the problem with a blech is if it's on too long and there's leftovers the food seems too dry afterward (chicken, meat). Maybe if it's in a sauce that doesn't happen.

shanie5

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:47 pm
When all food is cooked and hot, I set the oven for low (about 170) and just leave it. Most ovens have automatic 12 hour shutoffs, so mine turns off in the middle of the night.

Some timers will beep until u turn it off-so if u want to use that method, test it out during the week first!!

youngbubby

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:54 pm
I boil my soup and with the lid on and cover it up with two toewels right befor shabbos..it keeps it nice and hot...

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 2:04 pm
I set the oven timer for the chicken/meat and kugal. For the soup I boil it for a minute and wrap it with towels and then a blanket. There's nothing like a blech or hot plate though.

ewa-jo

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 2:42 pm
We have a jumbo-sized toaster oven (it's from a million years ago!) which has a temperature dial and a time dial so before candle-lighting, I put everything into the toaster oven and set it for a moderately low temperature for an hour. The soup, I boil on the stove until bubbly and then put a lid on tightly and plop it on top of the toaster oven... since the top gets nice and warm when it's on.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:18 am
You can put blech/plata on a timer. Never tried the towel thing.

OP, are you talking about fri dinner or sat lunch?

su7kids

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:32 am
I wrap my soup in a towel and then my down comforter and leave it on my bed. The down comforter keeps it PIPING hot. It doesn't warm it, but yes, you are not allowed to uncover and recover, not with a towel or a blanket.

I use the towel first so it doesn't mess up my comforter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen