Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
RiVky or RiFky? (sp?)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 6:34 am
With a V or an F?

Marion

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 7:00 am
It's a vet, so a V.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 7:01 am
Ours is Rivka / Rivky

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 7:23 am
I never understood why an "f" would be used. Even if it sounds like that, it isn't right. Although I think Esther with an "h" that doesn't belong is a better spelling than without one.

happymom

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 8:45 am
rivkie

chaylizi

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 9:22 am
I have never understood how a Veis became F. Definitely Rivkie (or Rivky or Rivki)

amother

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 9:44 am
we have a Rivka. DS always corrects me when I get lazy and say Riff-ka. At doctors' offices she usually gets called REEVka. We get lots of compliments on the name from the secular world.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 10:01 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I never understood why an "f" would be used. Even if it sounds like that, it isn't right. Although I think Esther with an "h" that doesn't belong is a better spelling than without one.

You're right. With an "f" is incorrect. It's like those who spell names with an "ei" wrong, like Breindy they would spell Briendy or Klein they'd spell Klien.
I agree with your point about spelling Esther with an "h" or Yonathan and Beth, as in Bais Yakov, with an "h". As you said, it belongs there.

amother

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 10:11 am
I have a Rivka, named for my mother AH.
Nickname in the olden days used to be Reeveechka..... Riva.
Rebecca, or Rivka, is with a vet, not a feh.
Rivkys are wonderful, at least all the Rivkys I know.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 12:03 pm
Rifka is an "accent". The name is Rivka.

Strictlycurls

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 12:16 pm
So much nicer with the V. And isn't it the proper spelling?

louche

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 12:24 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
I never understood why an "f" would be used. Even if it sounds like that, it isn't right.

The reason is that in Yiddish, as in some other languages, a V followed by certain consonants like K or T is pronounced like an F. Similarly, a B followed by the same consonants is pronounced P, (think "bupkes") and a Z is pronounced S. The speech-and-language people will know the technical term for this switch.

But you're right that to spell it in English with an f would be as wrong as to spell it in Yiddish with a fei.

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 07 2010, 1:16 pm
I see them all with a v.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 4:40 pm
louche wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
I never understood why an "f" would be used. Even if it sounds like that, it isn't right.

The reason is that in Yiddish, as in some other languages, a V followed by certain consonants like K or T is pronounced like an F. Similarly, a B followed by the same consonants is pronounced P, (think "bupkes") and a Z is pronounced S. The speech-and-language people will know the technical term for this switch.

Louche, I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Can you some examples?

Tamiri

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 4:42 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
louche wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Louche, I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Can you some examples?
Yontiff would be one = yom tov.

Isramom8

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 4:54 pm
Louche, Tamiri, that is so interesting. I never knew why we (I too sometimes) say Yontiff.

bandcm

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 9:57 pm
I am Rivky

dora

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 9:59 pm
I have a Rivka. When a teacher would call her Rivky she would ask them to call her Rivka.

amother

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 10:00 pm
We have a Rivkie.

groisamomma

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 10:35 pm
I'm embarrassed to admit that my dd is a Rifky. It was my mistake, I wrote that on her birth certificate form. By the time we noticed it, it was too late to modify. We are thinking of ordering her another one, but then we'd have to get new insurance cards, social security card, etc. What a pain!

We DO get stares from the Jewish nurses in the dr.'s office and occasionally pple ask why we spell her name wrong and if we did it on purpose. She's named after a Rivka I know for a fact, and all the other grandchildren with the same name spell it correctly. She's the only one with a dunce of a mother.

Do you think I should go through the hassle of changing it? Or will her identity be questioned when she grows up Smile ? I'd hate to imagine her sitting at the therapist's office in twenty years saying, "I am this way because my name was spelled wrong... Smile ."

Seriously, do you think it should be changed?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names