Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying babysitters
1  2  Next

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 4:40 pm
How much do you pay babysitters? I'm asking about girls who come to your house at night/sundays to babysit, not someone who comes everyday. It prob. depends where you live. But whenever I ask a girl how much she charges, she says, "whatever." Does their age make a difference? Does the number and age of your children make a difference? Sleeping or up?

miriam

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 4:42 pm
Age does make a difference. We rarely use them but I remember paying 4 or 5 dollars. She was in high school. We also try to round up.

Tefila

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 4:47 pm
It also I think depends on how many infants ie 1 or 5 Wink $4- 5 is reasonable I will ia"h be getting 2 so I will be paying them that each. Normally we have built in babysitters Smile

Didi

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 6:34 pm
I pay either 5 or 6 depending on what grade they are in HS

imaamy

Post Mon, Feb 07 2005, 10:06 pm
We live in California and the rate is much higher here. Ours also say "whatever" but generally 8-10 an hour for two school-aged kids is about the best we can do. Makes it really $$$$ to go out!

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 4:48 am
Wow, I thought we paid a lot, but California is even more expensive! We pay the equivalent of around $6 and our babysitter is 14 years old. When we asked her how much she takes she also said "whatever", so I asked her how much other girls take....

Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 4:55 am
definately depends on the age of the baby sitter, and on the age of the children, + how many children.
we pay about 5 euro when in the evening (day time is more expensive). once, I asked a greek girl, who asked triple that amount, because she has a college degree Rolling Eyes how that is relevant when sitting in my living room while the girls are in their room sleeping?????

Tovah

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 8:06 am
I used to get 5$ b4 I was married so I pay 6 well I paid 6 once since I never use baby sitter sis or parents.

hindyandrafi

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 9:36 am
Do none of you live in an area where the high school girls need Chessed hours?? In my community, some of the girls have to perform an allotted amount of Chessed hours each semester.. This is very helpful if you go out occasionally and can have a free babysitter.....

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 9:47 am
wow! I used to make 12-15 an hour!

sara

Tovah

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 10:44 am
wow were they rich?

Yael

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:57 pm
I used to get 5/ hr. (though when I first started at age 11, I got 3.50) but lately I hear the prices are going up. my sister says she takes 7 usually and some people even give her 10.

once when I first started babysitting when asked how much I charge I said whatever. well I got 11 dollars total for 5 hrs. watching 7 kids under the age of 10 during the day!!!
I never made that mistake again!!!

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 3:58 pm
suburbs of chicago. it was the going rate.

sara

Pearl

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 3:26 am
Yael, how old were you, watching 7 kids under 11 during the day????!!!!

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 11:00 am
I am sorry sara. But that price is out of control. I only made $5-6 when I lived in chicago (in the city) and the families were rich.

High school kids should not be making more than $7 US an hour for babysitting. Anymore than that is too much. Thats still above minimum wage.

Sara, 10-15 an hour. shock shock shock
WOW cash... shock shock thats alot shock shock

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 11:02 am
If the kids are sleeping & the girl doesn't name the price, we pay 4 & we round up (the girls come with their homework, so it's not like they're really working)

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 3:01 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
(the girls come with their homework, so it's not like they're really working)

Not fair to say that. They might be sitting with their homework, but 1) they could be interrupted any minute by your kids 2) they can't just go out, call a friend or go to sleep when they get tired, because they have to be up for your kids 3) they're sitting in someone else's home, which is not such a comfortable situation.

I would have really resented it if someone had implied that I wasn't working when babysitting.

AweSumThenSum

Post Wed, Feb 09 2005, 5:57 pm
I base my remuneration on several factors: age of babysitter, frequency of services, financial situation in her house (if I know it), and time of day/night.

Yael

Post Sat, Feb 12 2005, 7:57 pm
I was probably around 12. but there werent any babies though so basically I was playing with the kids and the oldest one helped out alot too.

Motek

Post Sat, Feb 12 2005, 9:38 pm
Quote:
I would have really resented it if someone had implied that I wasn't working when babysitting.

but I wouldn't have resented it ... it was an immaculate house, nosh, kids asleep, peaceful and quiet atmosphere to do homework, I could use the phone ...

this article has an interesting perspective:

http://www.aish.com/family/men.....r.asp
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics