Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Daughter comes home wet from school daily

amother

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 7:00 pm
My 4.5 year old bright ,and sensitive daughter has been trained since 3 yrs old. This year she started
kindergarten and has been coming home from school wet.We've discusssed it and she doesnt seem upset about it at all.I've called her teachers who say she goes to the bathroom like everyone else.She's happy and a very popular child in class.I've just had my third child and this week she has come home twice with # 2 ,The teacher called me the day after the bris to come to school and pick her up!I had a C-section and could hardly walk.
Any and all advice would be appreciated.
I think she's alittle too old to start with a star chart at this point.
I

hope its nothing physical.As she has been doing this for about 6 months now.

groisamomma

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 7:04 pm
I wonder if she has a weak bladder or something and needs to see a urologist. Have you discussed the whole issue with your pediatrician?

de_goldy

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 8:44 pm
That is so strange of the school to call you. We would never do that in my school.
Sorry, don't have real advice. Do you know how they do bathrooms there? Do they have set times they take all the kids? Do they just wait till a kid asks and then that kid goes? Maybe she just needs reminders. Some kids get so involved in playing, they just forget.

amother

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 6:19 am
Op here.To answer your question the bathroom is right outside her classroom and thats not the issue
she wets herself even at home now when she is involved in playing . She's just not reallly aware anymore that she is wet or she just doesnt care.I'm very concerned.

mommygirl

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 6:57 am
Hi OP,
If your child has been fine up to now, you can probably (obviously nothing is out of the realm of possilbe) assume that no drastic physiological change has happened to her suddenly to cause her to wet. It is most likely connected to your recently having a new baby. Please know that as amazing as we are to our kids, and as much love as you pour on them despite having a newborn, just the fact that dynamics in the family change cause kids to regress or pick up "strange" habits.

I think you can definately encourage your daughter to stay dry by offering her a prize for 3 smiley's a day or whatever you think is reasonable and be very kind if she doesn't make it. And if possible try spend time alone with her making her feel very special without the baby around.

good luck and know that it is temporary !!

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 10:39 am
We had this recently with my 4 yo DD. It was frustrating (especially since her younger sister was more reliably dry than she was!). The ped checked for a UTI but it was negative. We did have a few stressful events happen during that time, she probably picked up on that. Anyway, when she was home with me I made sure she went to the bathroom at regular intervals, and I gave her a lot of praise if she stayed dry at school. I also talked to her more than once about how if she feels she needs to go, she needs to RUN to the bathroom, because she is a big 4 year old girl (etc, etc). And made a big effort to play with her even when I was going crazy from everything else.

BH, after a few months, she now stays dry. Smile Hatzlacha

groisamomma

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 2:38 am
My nephew (older than your daughter) has encopresis (SP?). If your child has been found not to be suffering from physical causes such as constipation, there may be a psychological reason for wetting and soiling during the day. It's probably her reaction to the new baby. I second the idea of spending a bit of time with her when the baby's not around.

I would also call the school and ask if you should send pullups in a bag but that there's no reason to call you down when accidents occur-even soiling. Also send a box of fresh wipes.

Good luck!

drumjj

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 2:49 am
my daughter went through a stage like this at the beginning of the year she was the same age as your daughter and then the teacher just kept reminding her all the time go to the toilet and she stopped although this week she has done it twice again so im hoping its not a reaccurance, im going to the doctor with her today anyway so im going to talk to him about it.

willow

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 3:22 am
Meema2Kids wrote:
We had this recently with my 4 yo DD. It was frustrating (especially since her younger sister was more reliably dry than she was!). The ped checked for a UTI but it was negative. We did have a few stressful events happen during that time, she probably picked up on that. Anyway, when she was home with me I made sure she went to the bathroom at regular intervals, and I gave her a lot of praise if she stayed dry at school. I also talked to her more than once about how if she feels she needs to go, she needs to RUN to the bathroom, because she is a big 4 year old girl (etc, etc). And made a big effort to play with her even when I was going crazy from everything else.

BH, after a few months, she now stays dry. Smile Hatzlacha

Same with us. I had a thread on this a few months ago. We checked her out. I asked physiologist friend if something was wrong. But in the end we found nothing. We did what Meema2Kids did by encouraging her, ignoring the accidents, applauding the bathroom trips, compliments and praise. Basically we started to really ignore the accidents. We simply quietly cleaned her up and went on with life. B'h it went away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training