Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Israeli Girl Names
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 12:21 am
We're bez'h having a girl soon and planning on making aliya in the next couple of years. What are some good israeli girls names?

these were suggested to use but dont know how common/modern they are among dati-leumi/torani crowd:

zimra
ora
nesya
maya
yael

TIA!

MommyZ

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 12:36 am
In 2006, the most popular girls’ names were: Noa, Shira, Maya, Yael, Tamar, Sarah, Roni, Agam, Michal, and Adi.
Techelet (the color of the sky), Raviv (raindrop), Or-el (G-d’s ligh) Li-yah (G-d is mine?), Yarden and Arbel (a Mt. in the North)

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 12:56 am
amother wrote:
We're bez'h having a girl soon and planning on making aliya in the next couple of years. What are some good israeli girls names?

these were suggested to use but dont know how common/modern they are among dati-leumi/torani crowd:

zimra
ora
nesya
maya
Yael

TIA!

Last two are classics that are still popular today. Ora and Nesya are also nice, though not as modern.
It would be cruel to give a girl the name Zimra today, it sounds like the kind of name she would be teased over.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:47 am
amother wrote:

zimra DON'T
ora ALWAYS PRETTY
nesya DON'T
maya NOT SO RELIGIOUS.
Yael ALWAYS PRETTY

TIA!

Are the other names you like? Do you have to worry about them being/not being "approved by the Rabbi" ? (there was controversy regarding the name Shira...).
Hila
No'a
Na'ama
Adi
Ayala
Ma'ayan
Sarit
Bat El
Leeya
Hodaya
Tiferet
Tamar

shalhevet

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:20 am
Yael is one of those very few names that is popular among all circles - there are almost no other names like this (maybe Tamar and Shira [no comment about Shira Confused]) No'a can just about squeeze into chareidi circles.

Maya is not a name used in more religious communities - maybe DL-lite (who often use modern Israeli names), but not chareidi or chardal.

shevi82

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:29 am
Quote:
maya NOT SO RELIGIOUS.

Actually I know 2 Maya's that spell their name Mem Yud Hayh-the meaning is me-Hashem-from Hashem.
After the yom Kippur war alot of the Israelis gave that name which stands Milchemet Yom Hakipurim.

Personally, I like the Israeli names Yael, Hila, Hadar.

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:43 am
love ashira.

hodiya, anael (might be french), noa

less religious but very pretty:
shani, maayan,

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:56 am
amother wrote:
love ashira.

shani, maayan,
Do you love Ashira in Israel? I have heard Americans use it but I haven't heard it here. Reminds me too much of matza ashira for me to think of it as a name.

Tehilla is a very well-worn and used name.
Odelia
Michal
Orli

shalhevet

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:16 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
love ashira.

shani, maayan,
Do you love Ashira in Israel? I have heard Americans use it but I haven't heard it here. Reminds me too much of matza ashira for me to think of it as a name.

I agree with Tamiri. This is like Atara - an "Israeli" name people keep mentioning here that no one in Israel uses.

It reminds me of Aviva and Ilana - I have met very, very few Israeli born Avivas (and they are probably about 60) and I don't think I ever met an Israeli Ilana - but I know loads of Avivas and Ilanas from frum families in England, the US and Canada who thought they were giving an "Israeli" name.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:33 am
shalhevet wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
love ashira.

shani, maayan,

I agree with Tamiri. This is like Atara - an "Israeli" name people keep mentioning here that no one in Israel uses.

It reminds me of Aviva and Ilana - I have met very, very few Israeli born Avivas (and they are probably about 60) and I don't think I ever met an Israeli Ilana - but I know loads of Avivas and Ilanas from frum families in England, the US and Canada who thought they were giving an "Israeli" name.
My husband's grandmother was Atara but I don't know where she got the name, whether it was in Poland or here in Israel. Luckily, I never had to deal with it. I have a friend who has been in Israel since she was 9 or so, married to 100% Israeli and her daughter is Atara. I never thought about the other meaning, besides the decoration for a Sefer Torah before Imamother.
There are MILLIONS of Avivas and Ilanas here, but they are "older". I don't think anyone uses those names anymore but they were all over when I was growing up here. Now, it's Avivit and Ilanit. That reminds me of another name: Rotem. Row Them. Tow Them. Whatever.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:37 am
The kids with "modern" names in my dd's gan have names like: Shira, Shirel, Shanael, Ilanit, Orna, Techia, Anael, Ron, Adel, Shalva, Noa, Maayan, Odelia, Dan, Odaya...

Israeli Ilana: the dd of Chana Rovina.

fiddle

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:38 am
wadabout avital

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:40 am
Also Eliya (boy or girl) and Avia (boy or girl) known as AC/DC Very Happy

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:56 am
curious- what's the controversy over the name shira?

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:57 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
love ashira.

shani, maayan,

Tehilla is a very well-worn and used name.
Odelia
Michal
Orli

Odelia - not modern at all. Never heard of someone called Ashira here in Israel.

amother

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 7:58 am
I have a Kinneret, Hodaya, and Elianna

chavamom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:04 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
love ashira.

shani, maayan,

I have two friends in Israel- one a native born Israeli - who named their daughters Ashira.

MommyZ

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:06 am
It always surprises me when I read about how pouplar Noa is because it is my middle name and I was teased mercilessly over it in school- _____ Noa built a tevah. Maybe that doesn't sound so bad to adults but for a little girl being called a boy is not fun.

chavamom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:06 am
shalhevet wrote:

I don't think I ever met an Israeli Ilana

Dh's cousin - Israeli born, kibbutz raised - is Ilana. It's a name that is very dated though - very 1950's-1960's, back when "nature" names were all the rage.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 8:08 am
MommyZ wrote:
It always surprises me when I read about how pouplar Noa is because it is my middle name and I was teased mercilessly over it in school- _____ Noa built a tevah. Maybe that doesn't sound so bad to adults but for a little girl being called a boy is not fun.

I wouldn't call that mercilessly... but still, Noa and Noach is not the same name anyway.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names