Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Israeli Girl Names
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:46 am
Tamiri wrote:
The common word for silk is "meshi". The singer Rita has a daughter by that name but no one else does.
Oh, also the name Noam, traditionally male, is used for girls. Rita has a daughter by that name as well.

I know lots of girls named Meshi. Noam is unisex - maybe even more popular these days for girls than for boys.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:47 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Yes, Shah-NEE. I think that's one way of saying silk. Tolaat haShanee is a silk worm.

I thought it meant "scarlet"

It does mean scarlet.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 11:51 am
grace413 wrote:
Meital - was popular 20 years ago but I don't hear it for small kid now.
Eden - I saw a 7th grade classroom last year where 7 out of the 22 girls were named Eden.
Shlomtzion - Very rare, but Shlomit seems popular
Leora - mostly older people.
Techelet - Never heard of anybody with that name.

Moriah seems to be a popular name now.

My DD has a classic Tanachi name and while it may not be the height of popularity, nobody makes of fun of it.

I was also teased terribly (yes, I'm still too sensitive). My name is Yiddish and we lived places where Yiddish was as familiar as Urdu.

Agree with most of the above. Meital - not popular these days. Eden - too popular. Shlomtzion - she will be teased. Shlomit- classic. Leora - still goes, although Leor has become unisex. T'chelet - never heard of anyone called that, but in every group there is always an original name, and I can see it being used. Moriah - popular among chardal groups.

WriterMom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 12:57 pm
I have a French cousin called Chelomtziyon - I just twigged (duh) that's how they spell Shlomtzion!

I have no clue what that name means. I did read a (translated) Israeli novel with the lead character called that.

Ani

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:02 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
curious- what's the controversy over the name shira?

Same here. What Anyone knows?

Chloe

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:10 pm
Ani wrote:
pobody's nerfect wrote:
curious- what's the controversy over the name shira?

Same here. What Anyone knows?

Read here: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

Raisin

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:11 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
lech lecha08 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Yes, Shah-NEE. I think that's one way of saying silk. Tolaat haShanee is a silk worm.

I thought it meant "scarlet"

It does mean scarlet.

I had a student named Shanny in school this year (israeli parents) and sometimes she used to sign her name Red. Her twin sister Noa used to write Movement. So I'll always remember what those names mean.

Oh, and in the younger class there is another Noa, and a boy named Noah.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:15 pm
I think poor Noa got the interpretation wrong. Na'ah is female for a moving motion, such as swaying. Tnua is the verb of movement. Noa is a tanachi name, one of the daughters of Tzlofchad.

chavamom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 4:38 pm
grace413 wrote:

Eden - I saw a 7th grade classroom last year where 7 out of the 22 girls were named Eden.

That sounds about right. When I lived in Israel I used to have a subscription to "Horim veYeladim" magazine (Israeli version of "Parents"). Dr. Fischer soaps had a thing every month where they would print baby pictures. We had an ongoing joke about counting the # of Edens/Sapirs/Ma'ayans which made up about 2/3 of the girls. Those kids would be about 7th or 8th grade now.

Is "Mor" still popular? Or Aviah? It seems to me that Anglos are often 10 years+ behind the name trends, so names that were crazy popular in Israel a while back gain acceptance and then Anglos pick them up later after they seem "normal".

Raisin

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:26 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I think poor Noa got the interpretation wrong. Na'ah is female for a moving motion, such as swaying. Tnua is the verb of movement. Noa is a tanachi name, one of the daughters of Tzlofchad.

I guess her mother got it wrong. It's definately Noa, not Na'ah. the mother is a DL rebel - maybe she doesn't want her dd to have a tanachi name, so she is pretending it means something else?

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:56 pm
WriterMom wrote:
I have a French cousin called Chelomtziyon - I just twigged (duh) that's how they spell Shlomtzion!

I have no clue what that name means. I did read a (translated) Israeli novel with the lead character called that.

Shlomtzion is a gorgeous name. I do know of a French girl named Chelomtziyon, is her maiden name H...H?

WriterMom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:07 pm
Ruchel wrote:
WriterMom wrote:

Shlomtzion is a gorgeous name. I do know of a French girl named Chelomtziyon, is her maiden name H...H?
Nope. We share Polish ancestors but she's also descended from North Africans and her last name is of that heritage. Is Shlomtzion a Sephardi name, in general?

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 6:12 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
WriterMom wrote:

Nope. We share Polish ancestors but she's also descended from North Africans and her last name is of that heritage. Is Shlomtzion a Sephardi name, in general?

Actually the full name of the girl I know of is T....I-H...H and first surname is North African... lol
I haven't heard of enough Shlomtzions to have a good idea of demographics Wink

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:09 am
chavamom wrote:

Is "Mor" still popular? Or Aviah? It seems to me that Anglos are often 10 years+ behind the name trends, so names that were crazy popular in Israel a while back gain acceptance and then Anglos pick them up later after they seem "normal".
mor, moran, aviya are still around

shevi82

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:15 am
The Makolet guy told my mother that he named his third baby Mor so that his wife will understand that "no More" He was just joking.
I have heard the name Moran, I think it's terrible sounding if you speak English.

chanchy123

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:04 am
amother wrote:
We're bez'h having a girl soon and planning on making aliya in the next couple of years. What are some good israeli girls names?

these were suggested to use but dont know how common/modern they are among dati-leumi/torani crowd:

zimra
ora
nesya
maya
Yael

TIA!

All are good suggestions but Maya is not so much accepted among frum people, though I'm sure it must exist. Today really any name goes. Also, people give names with meaning Maya doesn't seem to have one, if you do have a deep meaning for the name it will definitely work but your DD will probably have to explain her name (which is pretty common anyway)
Ora is slightly outdated, but again, anything goes.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:11 am
shevi82 wrote:
The Makolet guy told my mother that he named his third baby Mor so that his wife will understand that "no More" He was just joking.
I have heard the name Moran, I think it's terrible sounding if you speak English.

I'm probably just immature but I think Dikla and Moron will always elicit giggles from me.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 7:29 am
amother wrote:
shevi82 wrote:

I'm probably just immature but I think Dikla and Moron will always elicit giggles from me.
And O'snot doesn't? And Pooah? And Doody? I don't want to tell you what the girls in my class in America called Varda.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 7:41 am
grace413 wrote:
Meital - was popular 20 years ago but I don't hear it for small kid now.
Shlomtzion - Very rare, but Shlomit seems popular
Leora - mostly older people.
Techelet - Never heard of anybody with that name.

Moriah seems to be a popular name now.

My DD has a classic Tanachi name and while it may not be the height of popularity, nobody makes of fun of it.

I was also teased terribly (yes, I'm still too sensitive). My name is Yiddish and we lived places where Yiddish was as familiar as Urdu.
I have heard of quite a few meitals now a days as well as leora, I have heard of a few.

shiradye

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:07 am
WriterMom wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
WriterMom wrote:

Shlomtzion was a Queen in the time of the Second Beis HaMikdash.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names