Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Israeli Girl Names
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shiradye

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 7:15 am
pobody's nerfect wrote:
curious- what's the controversy over the name shira?

I am sensitive to this question since that's MY name! Rav Chaim Kanievsky, shlit"a was quoted as saying that Shira is not a real name. I personally know s/o who had circumstances who changed her name as per Rav Chaim's instructions.

Other posters commented that Shira is common in Chareidi circles, so it is surprising. In this context, Shira refers to the Torah, or alternatively, a poem.

B'sha'a tova!

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 8:17 am
Thanks everyone!

Is Ora really a little outdated? DH has been leaning towards that one... Smile

Zus

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:01 am
Any A-I-a names (Aviva, Adina, Adira, Ashira) are very anglo sounding, and will almost never be given by israelis.
Maybe Aliza is an exception. But in general, those names sound very un-israeli to israeli ears.

And in my DDs gan there are:
Noar (boy)
Tohar (girl)
Zohar (boy)
Zohara (girl)

I still laugh every time Smile

chavamom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 12:57 pm
Aviya seems to break your A-I-a rule Wink

Zus

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 12:59 pm
Those A-I-a names tend to be adjectives in the female form mostly. Aviya isn't an adjective.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:06 pm
Not to nitpick, but Aviva isn't either.

Zus

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:09 pm
I don't consider Aviva a typical anglo name, like those others. I know plenty of non-anglo Avivas. None of them are israelis, true, but they're not necessarily anglos either.
Also I think that Aviva and Ilana sound a bit less outlandish to israeli ears than those A-I-a adjectives.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:34 pm
shevi82 wrote:
The Makolet guy told my mother that he named his third baby Mor so that his wife will understand that "no More" He was just joking.
I have heard the name Moran, I think it's terrible sounding if you speak English.

If you are living out of E"Y & give the name Moran, people may assume you are of Irish descent.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:37 pm
I know Israelis named Aliza.

Zus

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:44 pm
Yes I do too. It's the only adjective a-I-a name I can think of that doesn't necessarily sound anglo Smile

Rodent

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:31 pm
chaylizi wrote:
shevi82 wrote:
The Makolet guy told my mother that he named his third baby Mor so that his wife will understand that "no More" He was just joking.
I have heard the name Moran, I think it's terrible sounding if you speak English.

If you are living out of E"Y & give the name Moran, people may assume you are of Irish descent.

In first name position I doubt it. Never heard of a non-Israeli/Jewish Moran personally. And Moran is my maiden name so I'm fairly tuned in when I hear or see it. And I had hell leaving Israel several times, they seemed to think that Moran was so Israeli that having no family there must be a lie and I was dodging national service or something. I learnt after the first time to carry my certificate of gerut with me.... Irish surname sure and the people at the airport were idiots, but first name? I doubt anyone would think it to be Irish, not that it's a huge deal if they do mind you, easy enough to correct. But weren't they planning to move to Israel anyway? I'm not reading back through everything but just from memory.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:36 pm
Yeah it isn't a first name, but if you live in a place without a big Jewish/Israeli population & don't know that's a Hebrew name, that would be the first association.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:38 pm
Did we forget:
Anat, Einat, Inbal, Inbar, Ofra, Re'ut something is burning in the bottom of my oven. Smells bad.

emama

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:29 pm
Our daughter is Merav. Got lots of positive comments from people from various walks of life here. We had chosen Adva (odd VAH) as a girl's name for an earlier child, but he was a boy!

Rodent

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:41 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Yeah it isn't a first name, but if you live in a place without a big Jewish/Israeli population & don't know that's a Hebrew name, that would be the first association.

I grew up in a country area with very little in terms of diversity. The first Jew I met was at 18 (when I had moved away), first Orthodox Jew at 19 or 20. I wouldn't have thought Jewish but I wouldn't have thought Irish either. I may have asked though! On a boy more people might think "family name come first name". On a girl not so much. I dunno, maybe I've always been strange Wink

ValleyMom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 6:13 pm
How about names NOT to name your daughter like:
Osnat (Oh-Snot!)
Pooya (Fooya)
Moran (Moron)
Ofek--no comment necessary.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 6:19 pm
My Israeli SIL is Maor....don't really see that in frum circles, though..from my experience.

In my opinion that's a lot better than what DH, Roee, got. At that point they were living in the US and my MIL thought that they could call him Roee, but name him "Roy" on his birth certificate. How often do you find an traditional Jewish american guy with the name Roy??? Sounds like a cowboy if you ask me and takes away from the beautiful Hebrew meaning of the name.

For some reason MIL thought that Maor would be easily pronounced by Americans, which it clearly isn't

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 4:19 am
Many French Aliza and Avivas.

I don't think Osnat or Pua are not to use, although they are not my cup of tea personally and would only use them if I had a relative named that way...

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 4:34 am
Ruchel wrote:
Many French Aliza and Avivas.

I don't think Osnat or Pua are not to use, although they are not my cup of tea personally and would only use them if I had a relative named that way...

If you're looking for modern dati leumi names (as you stated in the beginning of the thread), the above names are a little passe (Aliza, Aviva, Osnat, Pua).

Off the top of my head - young girls I know in that crowd are called: Shira, Sapir, Tahelle, Tehilla, Efrat, Noi, Oriya, Hodaya, Geffen, Hallel, Nofar, Enbar, Choshen, Shoham, Nitzan.
Some of the above are unis-x.

mominisrael2

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 4:37 am
chavamom wrote:
Does anyone use the name Techelet in Israel? I had friends that named their daughter that about 25 years ago and the consensus among the Israelis was "bad idea". The Anglos thought it was a gorgeous name. I'm out of touch these names to know if it's a name that has gained favor.

I have a friend whose 4-year-old daughter is Techelet, born pre-aliyah though...why is it a bad idea? Seems that the olim in this town love to "out-Israeli" each other every time someone has a baby to be named Smile
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names