Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooler's dillema

amother

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 3:53 am
Choice one:
Homeschool in a place where homeschooling "isn't done", but in a place without an antagonism towards homeschooling.
Choice two:
Sending to a school that doesn't match your family's values.
Choice three:
Forcing yourself to have values that you really don't, and pretending to have those values for the duration of your child's education in said school.

Which to do?

(This question is meant for people who are PRO homeschooling.)

RachelEve14

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 4:01 am
How old are child(ren)
How do said child(ren) feel about it (if they are old enough to ask)
How different is the school?
Other factors (parent wants to homeschool, mother has to quit job, father is anti, kid(s) have special needs) etc.

amother

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 4:08 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
How old are child(ren)
How do said child(ren) feel about it (if they are old enough to ask)
How different is the school?
Other factors (parent wants to homeschool, mother has to quit job, father is anti, kid(s) have special needs) etc.
Just these 3 issues to consider. The other factors are negligible. I want to know the comparison between these specific issues, which weighs more heavily.

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 4:39 am
A combination? Like, respect and uphold the school's rules, explain how and why your values differ, and homeschool what you believe important to supplement what the school offers.

I think this is what I do. Sort of. With some of my kids.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
Choice one:
Homeschool in a place where homeschooling "isn't done", but in a place without an antagonism towards homeschooling.
Choice two:
Sending to a school that doesn't match your family's values.
Choice three:
Forcing yourself to have values that you really don't, and pretending to have those values for the duration of your child's education in said school.

Which to do?

(This question is meant for people who are PRO homeschooling.)

My instinct is to say to avoid putting yourself and your children in a situation where your values are in conflict with those of the school, but honestly, there's a lot more detail that would be necessary to give a balanced suggestion.

a) Do you believe in homeschooling as a positive way to educate your children?
b) How severe are the differences in values between you and the school and what would the consequences to your children be from choosing yours or the school's?

Is it accurate to assume that the available schools are more religious than your family and you'd be pretending to value those things for the sake of giving your children a consistent message/to conform to school rules? And that you live in a place where no one has an opinion one way or another on homeschooling?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling