Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift wrap ?

What gifts do you usually wrap ?
Baby gifts  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Wedding gifts (including shower, lechaim, etc).  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Birthday  
 31%  [ 6 ]
Anniversary  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Retirement  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Graduation  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other, please discuss below  
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 3:42 pm
The last time I bought gift wrap, I got a half price sale at Papyrus, and while it was gorgeous, I didn't get very much for my money.

Today, I wasn't near a Target so I figured that I look at some discount stores nearby, and after 4 stores either didn't have any or just had cartoon characters and Happy Birthday styles.

So - I got to thinking, do most people give just birthday gifts? I mostly give baby gifts and wedding gifts.

(I had to get my wrap at a party store, of all places !)

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 3:45 pm
A lot of people give gifts in a nice gift bag wrapped in tissue paper.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 4:11 pm
But bags cost gelt, too, and so does tissue paper, and you have to get the specific one to fit the gift. Sounds like a lot of trouble - for example, I have 5 weddings & a bar mitzvah just from office this summer, not to mention friends in the neighborhood or baby gifts. I'd go insane getting bags for each of the gifts !!!

luvshopping

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 4:13 pm
Wedding gifts I give in a bag with some nice tissue paper. Baby gifts I wrap with clear wrapping and bar mitzva I wrap with wrapping ppr. I'm very into gifts.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 5:53 pm
I was taught all gifts need to be wrapped properly so that the recipient and other guests cannot see what is inside. Do people really bring a gift without any wrapping, as is? If we bring flowers, that would be the only exception I can think of, maybe a box of chocolates if I'm bringing to a close friend as a shabbat hostess gift. For wine we use those tall pretty paper bags with gift tags. Most gifts I wrap these days are for the kids' friends' birthday parties so I try not to spend expensive ones. Wedding--mostly taken care of through registry.

goodheart

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 6:14 pm
amazing savings sometimes brings in some nice wrapping papers!

SivanMom

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 6:34 pm
I wrap nearly all the gifts I give because it is cheaper than bags or boxes, and less of a hassle than cellophane wrap and bows. I get all my gift wrap at the dollar store, for, duh, a dollar a roll. While they mostly have birthday and holiday themed papers, they always have some solid and/or pretty prints.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 7:00 pm
I buy my wrapping paper from the dollar store Wink they have many different kinds to choose from!

seeker

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 7:06 pm
I like to wrap everything, but yeah it's hard to find nice paper sometimes and stashing it doesn't work for me, after one or two uses it ends up getting messy by the time I need it again. So I often fall back on tissue paper, sometimes spruce it up with a ribbon if I have something nice handy...

louche

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 7:45 pm
I wrap all gifts, but I don't buy special-occasion paper. I use pareve all-purpose stuff, the cheapest I can find on a big roll, and reuse gift wrap, bags and ribbon whenever possible. If I'm using one of those gift bags I don't wrap the gift separately--the bag IS the wrap.

mamaleh

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 8:09 pm
I usually stock up on wrapping essentials (paper, bags, bows, ribbons, etc) after the 'holidays'. I buy the solid colors or same color on color patterns. You can often get them for up to 90% off. Then I mix and match to wrap any gift. (blue paper w/ silver ribbon, green w/ gold, etc) I find that Target & walmart often have a good selection the last week in Dec & first week or two in Jan. You can also sometimes find pastels in April/ May. In general I always keep my eyes open for wrapping stuff on clearance. Target, for example, changes their patterns pretty often and will often clearance out one color or style.
My DH used to make fun of me, until he needed a present wrapped ASAP for a business associate. Not only did I have a gift and wrapping paper, but it really looked impressive. Very Happy
I also stock up on basic gifts. Mostly baby clothes and toys so we always have a gift for a Bris/ upsherin/ Bday without spending a fortune.
Clearance sections are some of my best friends Very Happy

lovemywig

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:32 pm
I wrap most of the gift I give. I enjoy wrapping gifts and have most of the supplies home so no big deal.

busydev

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 3:32 pm
I wrap most gifts.
sometimes dep on the situuation there may be a cuter way to present the gift so then I wont but that has msotly been more personal gifts- like between me and dh

speciwoman

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 3:33 pm
I wrap all gifts, except when I am ordering off of a registry and have to pay extra for gift wrap.

Shmerling

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 3:54 pm
Most gift stores I know either wrap it themselves or provide the wrapping paper.

Sherri

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 3:54 pm
I also wrap most gifts- it depends more on the actual gift itself than on the occasion.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 6:35 pm
I just remembered--DH's best friend has a habit of wrapping gifts in an old newspaper (usually an interesting foreign language one). Very utilitarian approach and costs close to nothing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics