Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after husband and wife - freaky or nice?

SivanMom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:39 am
Although I don't know yet what I'm having, I can't stop thinking about names. My grandfather was niftar a few months ago, so if I have a boy, I'm for sure naming after him. I have never named after my grandmother yet, which I would love to do and the name is beautiful too (not so my granfather's but what can you do?). So if I have boy/girl twins, would it be freaky to name after a husband and wife, or nice? I would be going "out of order" by not naming after DH's side for the second twin, but I would do it if it's not too weird. If it's boy/boy or girl/girl I would name each one after a different side.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:41 am
I would name 2 children after a married couple, if they were both meaningful names to me. I don't see why twins would be different.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:48 am
Considering it's a minhag for Sepharadim to name for the (living) grandparents and for Ashkenazim to give honor to those who have passed, I don't understand why it would be 'freaky' to name a son after a grandfather and a daughter after the grandmother.

My brother and I are named for my mother's maternal grandparents. FTR, we're not twins.

louche

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:51 am
Why would it be freaky?

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:54 am
my brother and I are named after a couple and I dont find it feaky at all rather the contrary, I find it really nice!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:55 am
she feels it would be strange, if she has a boy and a girl, to be named after the same set of grandparents.

pesonally, I would take one name and give the other name to my husband to decide on.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:57 am
actually, if I have a boy this time, I could have a set of kids named after my mother's grandparents. in my family that's not unusual. nearly every grandchild has a set.

Sherri

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:58 am
Mama Bear wrote:
she feels it would be strange, if she has a boy and a girl, to be named after the same set of grandparents.
But why?
There are siblings in my family who are named after a "couple", beloved grandparents. It's nice, what's freaky?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:10 am
because theyre the same age.

like, every time you'll call out : AVROHOM AND SARAH! or wahtever, you might ahve the image of your grandparents flashing in front of your eyes, bcz the kids are the same age. I dont agree, but explaining why the OP is concernedc.

sky

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:52 am
OT, sorry:
In my grandmother's family they had a lot of children and they younger kids were named after the "forefathers" so there was a Sarah, Rivka, Rochel, Leah, Yitzchak, Yaakov.
They never gave the name Avraham because Sarah died as a baby - I find that freaky - that they even thought of the connection.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:31 am
I know a few families who have done this.
I'm not sure what you mean by "freaky"??? But I don't see why there'd be anything wrong.

I'm sure lots of people do it--when there are names to be used, use them!

SivanMom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 11:24 am
Mama Bear wrote:

like, every time you'll call out : AVROHOM AND SARAH! or wahtever, you might ahve the image of your grandparents flashing in front of your eyes, bcz the kids are the same age. I dont agree, but explaining why the OP is concernedc.

This is exactly why I thought it might be freaky. But it looks like from everyone's responses, it's perfectly normal.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 12:13 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

My grandparents weren't the same age either. Anyway, you generally call your children at the same time regardless of how old they are.

momofmultiples

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:12 pm
I named my twins b/g after my grandmother and grandfather. - I think it's a beautiful idea.

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 7:35 am
Don't know if it's relevant, but one of my SIL is named after a set of grandparents. My in-laws used Chaya instead of Chaim and then the wife's name. I thought it was sweet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names