Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
______ Ephraim
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:33 pm
B"ST, if we have a boy I want to use the name Ephraim after a special family relative. However, I don't want to use the name as a primary name because he had a rough life, sick, lost immediate family, no wife, no kids etc.

The only names I can think of sound good as a second name, and we'd prefer it be a first name.

If a person you are naming after had not such a good life, would you use a name that means something really good, or something that is the opposite of his problems, or after someone else with a good life, or just a meaning that goes with the name?

Thanks for any input and opinions!

sofaraway

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:37 pm
I would go for any of your options, honestly. Besides for the last one, with another name of the same meaning, I don't really see a point...
I would for sure go for a bright name that has a very positive meaning...

mom23

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:37 pm
I know a Simcha Ephraim, so that sounds like a nice combo to me.

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:41 pm
I have a son named Shalom Ephraim.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:43 pm
Yakir

mha3484

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:45 pm
I know a Mordechai Ephraim. It has a nice sound to it.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:51 pm
mom23 wrote:
I know a Simcha Ephraim, so that sounds like a nice combo to me.

I actually like Ephraim Simcha better than Simcha Ephraim.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 5:57 pm
Aharon HaKohen was synonymous with being a Rodef Shalom.

So maybe Aharon Ephraim?

chavamom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 6:09 pm
chavamom wrote:
Yakir

Just so people don't think I'm being totally random:
Quote:
הֲבֵן יַקִּיר לִי אֶפְרַיִם, אִם יֶלֶד שַׁעֲשֻׁעִים--כִּי-מִדֵּי דַבְּרִי בּוֹ, זָכֹר אֶזְכְּרֶנּוּ עוֹד; עַל-כֵּן, הָמוּ מֵעַי לוֹ--רַחֵם אֲרַחֲמֶנּוּ, נְאֻם-יְהוָה

mamommommy

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 6:13 pm
I know a menachem ephraim

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 6:14 pm
chavamom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Yakir

Quote:
הֲבֵן יַקִּיר לִי אֶפְרַיִם, אִם יֶלֶד שַׁעֲשֻׁעִים--כִּי-מִדֵּי דַבְּרִי בּוֹ, זָכֹר אֶזְכְּרֶנּוּ עוֹד; עַל-כֵּן, הָמוּ מֵעַי לוֹ--רַחֵם אֲרַחֲמֶנּוּ, נְאֻם-יְהוָה

I got it.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:08 pm
I think due to the situation, Simcha Ephraim sounds nice (although arguably, you can call him by the second name, even if his first name is Ephraim, so I'd do Ephraim Simcha). Or you can do Nachum Ephraim.

I think Baruch Ephraim sounds nice and I like the name Baruch, that he should be gebentcht.

wwmom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:28 pm
I like Yaakov Ephraim

anonymom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:29 pm
chavamom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Yakir

Quote:

I am so against double names, except in rare cases where they actually go together. Chavamom! That is such a beautiful meaningful combination. Did you just think of it or do you actually know someone with that name?

OP, I also happen to think Ephraim alone is beautiful. Maybe you can have in mind the Shevet as well as the relative.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:44 pm
No, I just thought of it - I always think that would be such a nice combo when I come to that pasuk on Rosh Hashana. I do have a friend who named her son Yakir though.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 7:48 pm
anonymom wrote:

OP, I also happen to think Ephraim alone is beautiful. Maybe you can have in mind the Shevet as well as the relative.

OP said she doesn't want to use it as a single name because:

amother wrote:
B"ST, if we have a boy I want to use the name Ephraim after a special family relative. However, I don't want to use the name as a primary name because he had a rough life, sick, lost immediate family, no wife, no kids etc.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:03 pm
anonymom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Yakir

Quote:

I am so against double names, except in rare cases where they actually go together. Chavamom! That is such a beautiful meaningful combination. Did you just think of it or do you actually know someone with that name?

I know someone who recently named a baby Yakir Ephraim.
I also think it's a beautiful combination.

anonymom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:22 pm
chaylizi wrote:
anonymom wrote:

OP said she doesn't want to use it as a single name because:

amother wrote:

I got that. That is why I suggested naming after another Ephraim as well.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:26 pm
Oh, I don't know. I've never heard of that. My minhag is that we add a name. Even for a parent. I guess if OP feels comfortable with it...

saw50st8

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:32 pm
When are you due? You can add a name based on the time of year.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names