Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
______ Ephraim
Previous  1  2  3  Next

manhattanmom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:36 pm
anonymom wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
anonymom wrote:

OP, I also happen to think Ephraim alone is beautiful. Maybe you can have in mind the Shevet as well as the relative.

OP said she doesn't want to use it as a single name because:

amother wrote:
B"ST, if we have a boy I want to use the name Ephraim after a special family relative. However, I don't want to use the name as a primary name because he had a rough life, sick, lost immediate family, no wife, no kids etc.

I got that. That is why I suggested naming after another Ephraim as well.

But having in mind the shevet Ephraim as you mentioned isn't really enough. Isn't everyone who has a name from tanach carrying that original name as well...
I know many people who like the name (or dislike the name) based on the character from tanach even though they were naming after a particular relative.

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:49 pm
I'm the OP
Thanks everyone who chimed in with their thoughts. We definitely have some more names to think about now.
Two points: I'd prefer to add a name as mentioned, rather than just 'saying' he's named after another person as well. But, thanks for that idea. Also, I'm due in Cheshvan and I don't think there is any particular names for that time of year, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. However- do you think that it is a good way to reach my purpose- sort of to change the mazal but also with a meaning behind it...

mamommommy

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:27 pm
We did that with one of my kids. We named after someone who was ill most of his life and passed away young. We added a first name that held a specific meaning to us and used the person's name as a second name.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the OP
Thanks everyone who chimed in with their thoughts. We definitely have some more names to think about now.
Two points: I'd prefer to add a name as mentioned, rather than just 'saying' he's named after another person as well. But, thanks for that idea. Also, I'm due in Cheshvan and I don't think there is any particular names for that time of year, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. However- do you think that it is a good way to reach my purpose- sort of to change the mazal but also with a meaning behind it...

This is what rabonim usually recommend doing if the person had a rough life, or passed away young, from illness L"A etc...

amother

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 7:14 am
My neighbor's son named his daughter after someone who's parents got divorced when she was a kid, and now he's getting divorced Sad

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 8:38 am
amother wrote:
I'm the OP

That's funny because my first thought with Ephraim was Noach :-)

With a rough life, people often add names. My older son is named after my father who had some tough stuff going on, but he also had a lot of bracha in his life so we didn't change it.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
or after someone else with a good life

I would add after an ancestor who had a long, healthy life.

chaylizi wrote:
Oh, I don't know. I've never heard of that. My minhag is that we add a name. Even for a parent.

Even if the parent wasn't sick or had other problems?

shevi82

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 9:52 am
Ephraim Yosef sound nice and Ephraim was yosef's son.
I know an Ephraim Benzion, though it is a bit long, but both are beautiful names.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
My neighbor's son named his daughter after someone who's parents got divorced when she was a kid, and now he's getting divorced Sad

And mah kesher?

saw50st8 wrote:
amother wrote:
I'm the OP

That's funny because my first thought with Ephraim was Noach :-)

With a rough life, people often add names. My older son is named after my father who had some tough stuff going on, but he also had a lot of bracha in his life so we didn't change it.

Many feer zich not to add a name for a parent, even if they had a rough life etc...

Mommy F.

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:37 am
I know an Ephraim Michel

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 12:06 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:

chaylizi wrote:
Oh, I don't know. I've never heard of that. My minhag is that we add a name. Even for a parent.

Of course not. (But if all things were normal, my father would be alive & in his 50s. There would have been no need to name after him.) There are people who say you don't have to add a name for a parent at all. My father was niftar at age 35 & our Rebbe insisted we add a name (and not just any name, specifically Chaim).

hadasa

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 4:24 pm
I know a Meir Ephraim. It sounds like a nice combination to me.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 4:54 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:

chaylizi wrote:

Of course not. (But if all things were normal, my father would be alive & in his 50s. There would have been no need to name after him.) There are people who say you don't have to add a name for a parent at all. My father was niftar at age 35 & our Rebbe insisted we add a name (and not just any name, specifically Chaim).

I'm so sorry. With "my minhag is" I didn't realize that you're actually referring to your own parent. I thought it was a general thing in your group of people. It must have been so hard for your poor mother and the children. Are they all married by now? You should not know of any of more tzar.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 4:56 pm
Amein.

(actually, no. I am the only one married of my siblings. my son is the first namesake.)

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 5:00 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Amein.

(actually, no. I am the only one married of my siblings. my son is the first namesake.)

May your father o"h be a meilitz yosher for your entire family and for all of klal Yisroel.

mominlkwd

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 5:04 pm
My son is named after a friend of DH who was niftar young and in a tragic way but he was a wonderful talmid chochom. Our rav told us to add a name and we call him by the added name but our rav did say that although we know we are naming for this person once you add a name it's really not the same name anymore, but we still tell DS that he was named for this person and how wonderful he was.

amother

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 5:07 pm
I'm considering a Menachem Mendel as a boys name, after both my great-grandfathers. The only problem is that in my DH's family, they don't give that name because the last family member with that name died in a tragic accident as a small child. We're still considering giving the name. We just may have to mutate it somewhat. I wonder if I can take away a name instead of adding one.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
I'm considering a Menachem Mendel as a boys name, after both my great-grandfathers. The only problem is that in my DH's family, they don't give that name because the last family member with that name died in a tragic accident as a small child. We're still considering giving the name. We just may have to mutate it somewhat. I wonder if I can take away a name instead of adding one.

One incident with one namesake isn't such an issue. If there's a precedence of everyone with a certain name having issues, that's a different story. My grandfather forbade his grandchildren to name after his father because the two who were named after him have been divorced 3 times each and have major difficulties in life.

I would love to name after an aunt of mine that never had children and died in the #2 bus bombing. None of my relatives named after her, as they are frightened.

amother

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 5:58 pm
hadasa wrote:
I know a Meir Ephraim. It sounds like a nice combination to me.

I was thinking the same thing and it would have meaning to use that name Wink , but since I figured out who you are and told you so, I didn't think it was my place to give you an idea, but since someone else did, ditto to what she said. Wow, that was a run-on...

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 1:29 am
amother wrote:

I heard that taking away a name is also considered as naming after the person, but changing the mazel, just like adding a name. I'm repeating from hearsay, which was also repeated from hearsay, so don't quote me - but it's something to look into.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names