Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
______ Ephraim
Previous  1  2  3

TzenaRena

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 10:44 pm
Ephraim Fishel is fairly common. It's the brocho that Yaakov gave to Ephraim and Menashe: v'yidgu larov.. and it's the idea of abundant brocho that is not subject to ayin horah, since fish are not visible, being covered by the water, and as chazal say "the brocho only rests ( literally: doesn't rest except) in that which is hidden from the eye", so there's a name that symbolizes brocho in its entirety!.

also did anyone mention Yaakov Ephraim? It seems to me I've heard this combination.

MimsCH

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:54 pm
in my family there are a few Moische Ephraim's.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 1:09 am
I was also thinking of Baruch Ephraim as someone already mentioned.

What about Rafael Ephraim?

Asher also means joy/happiness.

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 1:09 pm
Truly- thanks e/o for the ideas. Some were ones we already discussed and are considering, but others are new. My problem is that most shorter names sound better as a second name, after Ephraim, and that is not what we'd like to do... There is one short name we've been thinking about for a while and I constantly run it thru my head as the first name, but no matter- it just sounds better as a second name! For example (not the name) Ephraim Meir sounds better to me then Meir Ephraim... IMO, and that is what counts, right?! :-)

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 2:30 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
I would love to name after an aunt of mine that never had children and died in the #2 bus bombing. None of my relatives named after her, as they are frightened.

The fact that your aunt merited to die al kiddush Hashem might override the issue of her not having had any children. Many people would not even add a name to those who died al kiddush Hashem. The reason why people add a name for those who perished in the Holocaust, was because we are not 100% sure how indeed they perished. We assume it was al kiddush Hashem but since we don't know, a name is added.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 6:18 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
I would love to name after an aunt of mine that never had children and died in the #2 bus bombing. None of my relatives named after her, as they are frightened.

The fact that your aunt merited to die al kiddush Hashem might override the issue of her not having had any children. Many people would not even add a name to those who died al kiddush Hashem. The reason why people add a name for those who perished in the Holocaust, was because we are not 100% sure how indeed they perished. We assume it was al kiddush Hashem but since we don't know, a name is added.

The issue was her really really hard life. Orphaned very young, father remarried, step mom put her in an orphanage, married, had numerous losses and left no kids behind.

hadasa

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
Truly- thanks e/o for the ideas. Some were ones we already discussed and are considering, but others are new. My problem is that most shorter names sound better as a second name, after Ephraim, and that is not what we'd like to do... There is one short name we've been thinking about for a while and I constantly run it thru my head as the first name, but no matter- it just sounds better as a second name! For example (not the name) Ephraim Meir sounds better to me then Meir Ephraim... IMO, and that is what counts, right?! :-)

OP, honestly, I don't think you should agonize too much about how different combinations sound. Whichever you choose, even if it sounds a bit strange at first, you will get used to it very quickly and it will then sound totally natural to you.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:38 am
Ephraim Zeide (yes it's a name) so he'll grow up to be (married, a father and) a grandfather?
Ephraim Asher/Osher/Usher so he'll be lucky?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names