Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming for the time of year you give birth
1  2  Next

life'sgreat

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:55 pm
I find this really interesting. If one is let's say, due in Adar, who's to say they will give birth in Adar and not earlier? Do they then change the name they planned to give? Or they can be overdue and give birth in Nissan etc...

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:01 pm
I think they plan with a few options in mind. That's what I'm doing. I'm due approximately 17'th of Tammuz. If I have it around that time I might want to add the name Nechama.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:03 pm
I'm assuming if you give a seasonal name, you wait to see what time of year the baby is born.

I wouldn't know precisely, because we only name after family.

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:03 pm
I was due with my first on shabbos shira and planned on naming her shira(I knew she was a girl) she was born 3 weeks early and we still named her shira.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:34 pm
I named my daughter Avigayil. She was Born on Friday and my husband named her on Shabbos. That Sunday was Father's day - My father thought it was quite amusing for the "coincidence" of the name/date! (Avigayil means - my father's joy!)
(not done "on purpose!!!")

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:35 pm
I usually have a couple of names that I really like, but have not chosen the name until my child was born and I saw him/her.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:39 pm
I was due Shavuos. We had a middle name picked out that had to do with Shavuos. Baby showed up Lag b'omer so we came up with a new middle name.

amother

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 2:16 pm
My son was born erev shabbat nachamu, he is named Bension _____, we call him bension. The the named seemed extra perfect due to the timing, but we had planned to use the name regardless, and he was born 13 days late, so we had no idea that the timing would be what it was. I can't imagine giving birth and not knowing what I'll name the kid after. I am very backside about this kind of stuff. I was a wreck 2 weeks before one of my kids were born because we had not finalized the name.

I think naming for the time of the year is a little different, but that is because it is very important to me to use family names. Being that I only have boys, I'm running out of family names that I can use, as my husband has a few names that are names in my family, so I cant use them, so if I were to have another boy, I might need to look beyond the family names for him.

realeez

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 2:32 pm
I was due in Av with one of my girls, and her middle name would have been Nechama but once she was born in Elul, we changed it.

amother

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 2:43 pm
Two of our girls' middle names are for being born slightly before and after Shabbos Shira - Shira and Miriam. Miriam was a last minute choice.
Bracha was another last minute middle name, chosen for parshas Vezos Habracha.
Shimon was for his being born near Lag ba'omer (also after a relative).
Bentzion Nachman was for the Av, among other reasons. Also came together only after he was born.

The very weird thing is that when we were engaged, we talked about naming a baby Shira if we would have a baby at that time - and a year later, we did.

shevi82

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:01 am
My niece was named Tamar since she was born on Tu Beshvat, My sister's due date was in Adar and they were thinking of names like Hadassa. But since she was early they choose Tamar.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:22 am
just thinking:

A girl during a snow storm - שלגיה

A girl in August - שמשיה

A boy during Chanukah - חנוכיה

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:44 am
Hanuka is a male name in some circles. Pessach, Purim, Shabbat... too. Some of these names have female forms or equivalents too.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:27 am
my sister has a friend named purim....

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 11:00 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
my sister has a friend named purim....

Interesting! It's very rare, what's his eida?

EvenI

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 12:02 pm
Some people just don't plan names in advance, in which case it isn't an issue. We were explicitly told not to think about names before birth.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 12:02 pm
My neighbor wound up giving birth on Purim. She changed the middle name she had planned to Hadas.

We never decided the names before the child was born, so it wasn't really an issue.

louche

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 12:12 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
just thinking:

A girl during a snow storm - שלגיה

A girl in August - שמשיה

A boy during Chanukah - חנוכיה

I don't think you'd want to name a child Shimshiyah. It means parasol. No, not Marisol...parasol.

mosma

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 1:09 pm
I have a friend who had a baby around rosh hashana and they named her Shoshana Tova (Shana Tova, get it?)
I've seen boys born Pesachtime named Pesach.

shevi82

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 4:30 pm
My mother's cleaning women has the name Mazal Tov.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names