Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for Shabbos host

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:54 pm
This weekend my husband, 4 kids and I were invited to a friend's for Shabbos. What's an appropriate gift to bring? We rarely go away for Shabbos, and if we do it's on vacation, so this is a first for us. I'm hoping to keep it under $50.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:55 pm
I think a dessert like mini ice creams and a game (if they have kids) is perfect.

im here!

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:58 pm
You can get a big bunch of roses.
assorted choc. tray
game for kids
an extra for the house like something for the kitchen counters (if they have the place for it) or something for the bedroom or bathroom

exhausted

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:59 pm
A bottle or 2 of special wine if they drink, a platter with chocolates and/or dried fruit. I have alot of sleepover guest and some bring gifts like platters, vases and some bring food like soda or whole melons. It depends what your friend is in to, maybe even a few pkgs of very pretty napkins.

louche

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 9:33 pm
How about you bring Seudah shelishit: bagels, crackers, lox, spreads and assorted salads. Practical only if you're driving and have room for a cooler in the car.

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 10:20 pm
Someone just came to us for Shabbos and brought something that I think is great.
She went to one of the local (frum) fruit stores and bought a sectional platter of cut up fruit. She had asked if there was anything specific she could bring (salad, dessert, etc) and I told her I couldn't think of anything. She didn't want to bring flowers because it was right after shavous and she figured (correctly) that we had and she knew we were not big wine people.
This was perfect. There were so many options of what to use it for. We could have served it for dessert (even along with something else), for an afternoon snack (or as part of 'Shabbos party'). We ended up serving it at Sheuda Shlishis and everyone really enjoyed it.
When you get it from a fruit store they tend to use the ripest (sweetest) fruit.
If you don't have a frum produce store near you,many of the chain supermarkets also cut up fruit and some have a hechsher.
Obviously you can add something to it if you want it to be more impressive...Some of the other ideas are great (a game for the kids, flowers, wine, candy, a household gift, etc.)
Hatzlacha and have a great time!

Roche

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 10:57 pm
when ever we go away for shabbos I either make brownies from duncan heinz mix or a babka from the bakery which is nice for shabbos morning. I guess if you think they wouldnt eat out of your house the brownie isnt a good idea. if you want a bigger type of gift and they have kids or they are the board game type I think the game idea is really nice. a fun game for adults and older kids 5/6 and up is blokus. my sil has it and its a great game.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics