Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Looking for beef flanken soup recipe

yankidoodle

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:53 pm
Hi. Does anyone have a recipe for beef flanken soup? It was in mishpacha's sukkos edition this year. anyone? thanks

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:59 pm
I make Susie Fishbein's yellow split pea flanken soup. Let me know if you want the recipe.

yankidoodle

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 8:01 pm
no. not with peas. but thanks

faigyl

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 7:37 am
I just made with the new dining in cookbook a REALLY yummy flanken mushroom barley soup- u shred the flanken so its floating around the soup in pieces...
I got lots of compliments on that recipe Smile

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 2:11 pm
faigyl wrote:
I just made with the new dining in cookbook a REALLY yummy flanken mushroom barley soup- u shred the flanken so its floating around the soup in pieces...
I got lots of compliments on that recipe Smile
Can you share the recipe?

elmos

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 11:00 am
reasking someones old request for the recipe please it sounds yumm and its deff. soup weather now

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 2:52 pm
I have mishpachas last year flanken soup recipe. I'll post it as soon as I get around to it.

busydev

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 2:58 pm
I make a think mushroom barely soup and add one inch peices of meat. delish.

dunno the exact recipe but something like- 8 cups of water, 1 T flour, 1 cup barely (I usually but in extra), 1 lb mushrooms, an onion diced and browned in 2 T oil and 1 T onion soup mix.

(first doo the onions and mushrooms then mix 1 cup of water and flour till dissolved then add the water, barley, spices, and meat)

bring to boil and simmer at least an hour.

I think I remembered it right

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 4:16 pm
Not really flanken (which can be fatty) but I just made lovely beef broth with shin of beef. It's cheap cut, quite lean, but comes out really flavourful and meat gets soft after hours of cooking.

1 lb shin of beef
1-2 onions, halved
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
2-3 carrots, peeled cut in thick wedges
salt, 1 beef soup cube (or soup mix)--feel free to skip

In a large pot, add all ingredients and pour enough water to cover. I use about 8-10 cups. Simmer over a low flame for 5hrs or longer. (This is best done on crockpot, or overnight on blech.) You'll need this much cooking time for the meat to become really tender. Alternatively, you'll need 45min or so if using pressure cooker. Adjust seasoning, and serve with noodles cooked separately. You can add chopped scalion or cilantro leaves or chili or ginger.

Alternatively, you can also add barley for the last 1hour of cooking. The soup is usually quite lean I don't feel a need to skim the fat. If you're really concerned, make the day before, refrigerate once its cool and skim off fat on top. There will be sediment on the bottom--you can ignore it, just skim off the clear broth once the soup cools down.

mrshj

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 8:24 am
FLANKEN MEAT SOUP FROM MISHPACHA. AS REQUESTED

4 tbsp oil
1 large onion, diced
1 head of garlic, chopped
3-4 large carrots, diced
1 handful parsley
1/2 package fresh dill
2 parsnips, peeled and diced
1 squash, diced
2 plum tomatoes, cubed
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 tsp salt, or adjust to taste
1 tsp ground pepper, or adjust to taste
3/4 tsp paprika
2 tbsp beef soup mix, diluted in 1/2 cup water
16-18 cups of water
1-1 1/2 lbs flanken
1 cup barley

In an 8 qt. pot, heat the oil. add onion and garlic and sautee until brown, stirring occasionally.
put the parsley, dill and half of the carrots in a cheesecloth or mesh bag and close. stir in the remaining vegetables and spices. add the cheesecloth packet and cover with water. bring to a boil. lower the flame and let simmer covered for 45 minutes or until veggies tender. remove the cheesecloth packet. discard herbs and set the carrots aside. puree the remaining soup with a hand blender. add in the reserved carrots.

add the flanken and let simmer on low for 2-3 hours or until meat soft. add the barley during the last half hour . stir ocassionally to make sure it does not stick to bottom of pot.. serve with a piece of meat.

The above is the full recipe, almost word for word. I make this soup very often. freezes very well. But there is no need to dice all the vegetables, only the carrots that u reserve. U blend the whole thing anyway. I just cut all the veggies in big chunks. makes it easier. Also, if you dont have the fresh herbs, no biggie. tastes great without it too. My family does not love barley, so I put in farfel instead. I personally add a little bit of chicken soup mix too. very good.

Makes a great pareve soup too. without the flanken.

enjoy

HappyMommy23

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 3:02 pm
Quote:
I make Susie Fishbein's yellow split pea flanken soup. Let me know if you want the recipe.

would you mind posting? thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 3:21 pm
HappyMommy23 wrote:
Quote:

would you mind posting? thanks!

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t+pea

Here it is.

3Qts

Post Fri, Jan 21 2011, 1:10 pm
I made this, this week and it was delicious . I didnt put in the pumpkin

http://culinarykosher.com/reci.....n/483
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics