Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What are siyumim like at your school?

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:08 pm
I have been making my homeschooled daughter a siyum after each parsha that she learns in Chumash. At her most recent one, one of the girls who attended made the comment to my daughter that her siyum was more like a birthday party than a siyum. I got the idea that the girl thought this because I served a cake, rather than packaged nosh. My daughter has taken this comment very much to heart and has stated that she really wants food that is more like a regular siyum.

So, teachers, I am wondering what foods you usually serve when making a siyum in school for your students. What other activities are included in your celebration at the siyum?

busydev

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:16 pm
I dont teach anymore, but I did last year (and in my siblings school)

depended on the class- but generally diff kids were asked to bring diff things and home baked isnt allowed because of allergies and hashkafa reasons. some teashers had all kids bring stuff and some teachers selected a few girls each time (each kid brought something once or twice per a year)

de_goldy

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:36 pm
I teach pre-school so no siyums but when I was in school each girl in the class brought one thing (eg. drinks, candie, m&ms, cookies, bissli, chips etc) and gave out to everyone. (yes, it was a heck of a lot of nosh but it only happened once in a blue moon). We also had games, posters, dvar torahs that groups of girls were in charge of.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:54 pm
when I was in school we would each bring something, and then, in groups, we would prepare little skits and dances for the other kids. On my kids online school the teacher has each kid prepare something (story, dvar torah, read some pesukim)

apple24

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 5:55 pm
in our school we each child brings something packaged. We usually play a game or do something fun that has to do with the Parsha we just learnt. Last year when we had a siyum for sefer shoftim, I baked a cake for each student and each child decorated their cake. The chose their favorite topic in Sefer Shoftim and decoreated their cake accordingly. It came out really cute!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics