Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning the yellow?????

jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 9:11 pm
[[size=12][b][color=darkblue]any advice in cleaning/washing wool tzitzis (spelling). Not only do they tear in the front, which is easily repairable, but the natural yellowing of the wool after it is worn over time is a problem.. Any suggestions about getting that yellow color white again or at least lighter. I mistakenly used bleach, that was a major mistake, had to end up buying him a new pair (not cheap), anyway, advice please[/color][/b][/size]

Marigold

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:05 pm
This is what I do.

I pour some iron out into a basin and add some boiling water. Then I add 1 cup milk and 1 cup wisk and fill the rest of the basin with warm water.
All in all the temp of the mixture should be on the warmer side. I place the tzitzis inside and let it soak for about 3 hrs, depending on how dirty it is. Then I just rinse it in the washing machine.

jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 11:52 pm
what do you mean you pour some "IRON" what is that suppose to mean....?
and what is wisk, is that wisk laulndry detergent, the liquid form? how much?
and putting the actual garment in the washing machine with the tzitsis, is, at least for me, problematic as they get all twisted and ruined...

In any event, after you do this, how does it come out....is there a noticeable difference?.
Please advise...
thanks

jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 10:07 pm
paddington bear where are you????????????????
could you explain in more descriptive language, what do you mean, pour the iron, what kind of iron are you talking about...............your instructions are a bit unclear...
please respond,
thanks

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:27 pm
jasmine wrote:
could you explain in more descriptive language, what do you mean, pour the iron, what kind of iron are you talking about...............your instructions are a bit unclear...
please respond,
thanks
Send her a PM.
She is the queen of clean and always has the greatest tips Smile

Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
jasmine wrote:
please respond,
thanks
Send her a PM.
She is the queen of clean and always has the greatest tips Smile

LOL. Your are great too, mind you.

jasmine wrote:
what do you mean you pour some "IRON" what is that suppose to mean....?
and what is wisk, is that wisk laulndry detergent, the liquid form? how much?
and putting the actual garment in the washing machine with the tzitsis, is, at least for me, problematic as they get all twisted and ruined...

In any event, after you do this, how does it come out....is there a noticeable difference?.
Please advise...
thanks

Jasmine, sorry I forgot about this thread.
There's a detergent called IRON OUT. Wisk detergent. Cup milk.
I pour a bit of iron out in a basin. Then I pour boiling water into the basin. I'd say 2 cups about. Add a cup of milk and a 3/4 capful of the detergent wisk. then fill the basin with warm water so that the temp is not too hot but not cold either. Let the tzitzis soak in this mixture for about 3 hrs. Mine comes out beautiful.

Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:41 pm
There's a special little sack for the tzitzis strings that you can get at the local stores where I live that I put on prior to RINSING (only)it in the (front loader) washer. The reason I rinse it in the washer is bec. I want to get the smell/suds of the detergents out of the tzitzis. I then give it in to the cleaners and the starch it for me.
You can also just let fresh water run over it and squeeze it out a couple of times until all the detergents are removed.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:53 pm
This is what I do:

Walk to store. Pick up right size tzitzis. Wait in line. Pay. Walk home. Put new tzitzis on the valet. Take old tzitzis. Fold nicely. Put in genizah.

Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:55 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
This is what I do:

Walk to store. Pick up right size tzitzis. Wait in line. Pay. Walk home. Put new tzitzis on the valet. Take old tzitzis. Fold nicely. Put in genizah.

how often do you buy new ones?

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:58 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
This is what I do:

As needed. It's usually worn under a vest, so it stays (fairly) clean (which is also relative).

And btw, I think that tzitzis washing should be part of a man's job. I plan to teach my son to watch his tzitzis on his own (heaven help me when I actually need to do that, boohoo!).

Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:01 am
life'sgreat wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
This is what I do:

As needed. It's usually worn under a vest, so it stays (fairly) clean (which is also relative).

And btw, I think that tzitzis washing should be part of a man's job. I plan to teach my son to watch his tzitzis on his own (heaven help me when I actually need to do that, boohoo!).

LOL
So you never wash them out?

No man in my house will ever wash tzitzis by themself. (I know I know, never say never. Smile )

jasmine

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:02 am
hey, MS. lIFE IS GREAT, I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE....PROBLEM IS, THE BEGED IS STILL IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, AS WELL AS THE TZITZIS, NOT TORN, ETC. AND A WOOL GARMENT IS NOT CHEAP....
SO IF mS. paddington bear's suggestion works, what's the big deal...I will give it one shot, then, if it is a no go, its off to the store I go......

MS. PADDINGTON, WHERE DOES WHEN GET IRON OUT, OR WHATEVER IT IS CALLED...IN ISRAEL WE USE TO USE SOMETHING CALLED 'RAN', PRETTY GOOD STUFF............
THANK YOU FOR YOUR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:10 am
Paddington Bear wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
This is what I do:

LOL

No man in my house will ever wash tzitzis by themself. (I know I know, never say never. Smile )

You didn't get that from my first post? I wash my son's cotton tzitzis once or twice max.

Boo to you for not teaching them. Your daughters in law will NOT appreciate it.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:11 am
jasmine wrote:
hey, MS. lIFE IS GREAT, I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE....PROBLEM IS, THE BEGED IS STILL IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, AS WELL AS THE TZITZIS, NOT TORN, ETC. AND A WOOL GARMENT IS NOT CHEAP....
SO IF mS. paddington bear's suggestion works, what's the big deal...I will give it one shot, then, if it is a no go, its off to the store I go......

MS. PADDINGTON, WHERE DOES WHEN GET IRON OUT, OR WHATEVER IT IS CALLED...IN ISRAEL WE USE TO USE SOMETHING CALLED 'RAN', PRETTY GOOD STUFF............

Jasmine sweetie, writing in all caps is considered impolite online. Please try to refrain from doing so.

Thanks

Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:13 am
life'sgreat wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
This is what I do:

LOL

You didn't get that from my first post? I wash my son's cotton tzitzis once or twice max.

Boo to you for not teaching them. Your daughters in law will NOT appreciate it.

Or I will have to find a DIL like me. Ya know they say a "shnir a shtick shvigger." Smile

Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:17 am
jasmine wrote:

ONE GETS IRON OUT ANYWHERE HERE IN THE STATES. I GUESS ITS IN THE DETERGENT AISLE. IT IS NOT A KOSHER PRODUCT OR SOMESUCH!

MS. PADDINGTON'S WAY WORKS BERRY BERRY WELL, IF ONLY YOU DO WHAT I SAY. MY DH HAS HIS TZITZIS FOR YEARS AND THEY ARE VERY PRETTY STILL.

NOW CAN I GET OFF CAPS BEFORE LG SENDS THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF HER GENIZAH MY WAY.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:26 am
Paddington Bear wrote:
jasmine wrote:

ONE GETS IRON OUT ANYWHERE HERE IN THE STATES. I GUESS ITS IN THE DETERGENT AISLE. IT IS NOT A KOSHER PRODUCT OR SOMESUCH!

MS. PADDINGTON'S WAY WORKS BERRY BERRY WELL, IF ONLY YOU DO WHAT I SAY. MY DH HAS HIS TZITZIS FOR YEARS AND THEY ARE VERY PRETTY STILL.

NOW CAN I GET OFF CAPS BEFORE LG SENDS THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF HER GENIZAH MY WAY.

Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry