Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
The no white sugar thread

baba

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:08 am
I just came back from the doctor and she told me that because I have pcos and given my family medicial history I should stop eating white sugar all together.
Now of course, easier said than done, especially when you live in a small community where it's hard enough just getting kosher food, yet alone a special kind of kosher food.
So I decided to open this thread to get in contact with others who do this, where we can share tips, tricks or simply just vent.

canadamom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:23 am
what about honey? I don't eat sugar, but do eat honey, and I have very good recipes

baba

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:29 am
I'm not sure, but I'm guesing it's better.
Please do share recipes.
Can you just substitute honey for white sugar in any recipe?

suzyq

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:30 am
It totally can be done - I rarely use white (or brown) sugar in anything. I do use honey, and occasionally, Splenda, but generally, I just steer clear of all of it. The only thing it's difficult for is baking, but you can find tons and tons of non-dessert recipes that don't use sugar and you'll be so much healthier for it. And you should know that many recipes that call for sugar don't really need it. I have a recipe for banana muffins that doesn't use any sugar or oil at all and it's delicious! You really will be fine - you'll find that you dont even miss the sugar after doing it for a while. My big suggestion would be to get familiar with other spices so you can make recipes that don't call for sugar and to stock up on fruits and veggies, which are naturally sweet. Good luck!

baba

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:33 am
We do eat semi healthy, so I'm quite positive.
Can you share that banana muffin recipe, it sounds yummy.
I usually cut the sugar alot, since we find most things too sweet.
Any sites would be welcome as well.
Thanks!

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:34 am
can I have your banana muffin recipe?

Grandmama

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:43 am
What about Truvia? It comes in packets just like sugar, made from Stevia.
No aftertaste. Maybe someone could send you some or it can be bought online.
Great recipe for homemade strawberry ice cream in minutes.
One cup frozen strawberries
One cup heavy cream
three packets truvia
one tsp vanilla (opt)

Mix in tupperware type hand blender, for about 5 minutes and serve. Very good.

suzyq

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:44 am
I got this from Penny Pinching Epicure

Sugar-Free Banana Muffins
3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs (I use egg beaters and eliminate that fat)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 + 1/4 cup flour (I use white whole wheat)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mash bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Then add everything else and pour into muffin tins (it will make about 12 muffins). Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:56 am
suzyq wrote:
I got this from Penny Pinching Epicure

Sugar-Free Banana Muffins
3-4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs (I use egg beaters and eliminate that fat)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 + 1/4 cup flour (I use white whole wheat)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mash bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Then add everything else and pour into muffin tins (it will make about 12 muffins). Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

do they freeze well?

suzyq

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:57 am
They actually freeze great! I have a dozen or so in the freezer now and I thaw them out one or two at a time and I'd never know the difference!

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 8:59 am
Thanks!

baba

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 9:33 am
Wow, this recipe looks great, thanks!

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 3:52 pm
FTR, using honey instead of sugar if you have PCOS isn't the greatest idea. Think what a diabetic would and wouldn't eat and try to go according to that if you are really insistent on doing this right.

sarachana

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 4:02 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
FTR, using honey instead of sugar if you have PCOS isn't the greatest idea. Think what a diabetic would and wouldn't eat and try to go according to that if you are really insistent on doing this right.

exactly!

but Agave nectar, the real kind which is pure, is ok in moderation for diabetics, its healthier than all other sugar subsitutes (except stevia but that is no good in baking), and it can be used in place of sugar by a half, meaning if the recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, you put half cup agave. For a pcos diet, which is how a diabetic eats, you also want to watch out for the foods that turn to sugar to quickly. So along with white sugar, throw out the WHITES in your diet as well, white flour, white potatoes and do some research on other foods as well. A ripe banana turns to sugar as fast as sugar, while an unripe bananas doesn't. If you stay away from "bad carbs" you will crave the white sugar a whole lot less!

g'luck!

May

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 4:42 pm
life'sgreat wrote:

I was going to comment about this too. Everyone seems to think that replacing honey with sugar makes it better. According to the nutritionist that I spoke with, it's just as bad.

And just FTR, even though it;s not really on topic - people also seem to think that brown sugar is better, and it is not so at all. Brown sugar is simply white sugar with added molasses - so if anything it might actually be worse!

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:20 pm
Agave is something I use often and it's pretty similar in taste.

SorGold

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:05 am
I don't use any sugar in my cooking. Sometimes in baking I'll use it. Xylitol can be used in baking. There is a kosher one that can be bought on Amazon although its more expensive than in stores in NY, but its safe for diabetics.
Honey and sugar in the raw are essentially the same as sugar so its not good to use those.
It takes some time getting used to, but you end up relying more on spices and fresh garlic and onion than sugary sauces and ketchup.
Salads are a bit more tricky because I love sweet salads, but xylitol and stevia work well.
If you're cutting out sugar to control blood sugar, whole grains and beans/legumes/nuts are the way to go.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:17 am
fyi about stevia - its very strong - so use a LOT less that you would for sugar

happymom

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:43 am
I use agave nectar
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise