Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
WHo has REAL silverware?
1  2  Next

avigayil

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:01 pm
I was browsing the prices of real sterling flatware and almost passed out.
I see many people in our community have it, I just don't know how.

How many of you out there have real sterling flatware? Was it a gift or did you buy it?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:06 pm
no way.
I can't imagine polishing all that cutlery.

A new bride just excitedly showed me her new silverware the other day and I oohed and aahed over it - the whole time thinking I feel so bad that she will have to polish it (it was very fancy with a lot of design which will make it very hard to polish.) Good luck to her!!

Tefila

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:14 pm
Nope but I have real stainless.... does that count LOL

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:49 pm
I don't think I'd keep silver if it was given to me. I'm all for stainless steel.

stem

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:56 pm
We got a set of real silverware for our wedding. We polish it a few times a year, and it's fine. Just don't put them in the dishwasher!

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:08 pm
I don't have it. I have never even bothered to look at the cost because I knew I would never get it. I have a beautiful set from Macy's though.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 1:19 am
I have no idea if my stuff is real, but I would assume so, I never bought a/thing for myself.. all are wedding gifts..

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 2:45 am
I got a set from my grandparents. the set is as old as their marriage (as they got two sets) and so it is true silver. I only use it on shabbat but it has meaning to me to use it.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 3:26 am
We got a beautiful set of silver-plate flatware as a wedding gift, very high quality. [One by one each piece has joined my "kashering" bag. when I'll ever do it is anybody's guess. Rolling Eyes ]

Mishie

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:36 am
We also got a gorgeous set of Silver-plated Silverwear for our wedding.
A couple of months later it started to peel........................
It was driving me NUTS!!!
And, IMO I didn't think it was safe to use....
So, I got rid of them, and got myself a really nice set of Stainless. I think the second set is nicer than the first.
It always looks really nice & shiney!!!

frayda

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:40 am
I have a really beautiful set of simple stainless flatware. I can't imagine paying for real silver!

rainbow baby

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 8:28 am
I've got a gold plated set I keep it for Pesach for the rest of the year I us stainless silver. My gold plated was a wedding gift.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 9:39 am
I got mine slowly, piece by piece. ! love it and cant' imagine Shabos or yomtov without it.

You can get it used on ebay too.

MMEC123

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:31 am
I inherited a set from my grandparents but I've never used it.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:36 am
I have stainless steel.

granolamom

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 12:11 pm
we inherited our silverware (real silver) from dh's grandparents. we try to use it often, sometimes I am just too lazy/tired to deal with washing it so we use our stainless. we keep each piece in its original plastic sleeve (dh's grandma was very particular about this and saved it in almost new condition) and then in the felt lined case. It tarnishes very slowly. I've polish it only once or twice a year.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 12:19 pm
If you use your same flatwear (cutlery) every single day and Shabbos, at some point it ceases to be new and nice looking, no matter how much you spent on it.

You need a second, separate set.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jul 08 2006, 5:53 pm
I have it. Some is family, some from dh family, some we received for our wedding. We also bought a whole “set” for 8 people (I think) from Wedgwood during our engagement, we also bought matching plates. In the beginning I didn’t think it was useful but it was so pretty LOL

red sea

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:19 am
REAL silver is a ROYAL pain in the, except for earrings, candlesticks are as far as I'd go!

Esther01

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:37 am
I got a sterling set from my great-grandmother for my wedding. I never used it, I was thinking of exchanging it for a 5 leichter... but there is something about a gift from a great-grandmother. it doesn't happen every day. I think I will use it for pesach.

I also got a silver plated at my wedding and right away exchanged it for a beautiful stainless, I even had to add 70$. my two sisters (older) also got the silver plated and I saw how hard it is to care for, I learned and did the exchange still in sheva brachos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics