Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
PLEASE HELP! SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME IN THE BATHROOM!!!!

craisin

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 1:48 pm
I'm toilet training my 2 year old son for just about a week already.everything was going fine to the point where I thought he's that miracle child....kind of...
he has one problem though- he asks when he needs to go, but once he sits there, he is scared to release!!! he has no prob sitting for 4 hours if I'd let him! I'm at my wits end!! if I force him to get off, he cries hysterically, & 5 min later were back again. he ends up spending 3/4 of his day in the bathroom. I don't wanto discourage him from asking to go, but its really hard on me. does anyone have any ideas plz?

mamacita

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 2:14 pm
This was one of the more annoying phases of potty training. My kids also insisted I sit with them . . .

B"H it was short lived and they soon got into a more normal length of potty sitting.

good luck!

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 3:46 pm
Maybe this can work for you, someone I know tried it and it was helpful.
Explain to your child that sitting on the toilet for too long is not good for them. Let them know that you will take them as often as they need to go but each time you will set a timer for 5min (or read them 1 or 2 books, etc just be very clear and very firm). When the timer rings they must get up (unless at that moment they are actively using the toilet). If he isists on going back in immediately you might need to tell him there is a min amount of time between visits also (start with 5-10 min and increase it every day or so). If you do not give a minimun time between visits at least they should wash their hands and leave the bathroom in between.
Hope this helps!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 7:11 pm
thats why I use portable potties.

raizy

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 9:00 am
maybe he is to young to be trained. maybe give it up and try again in a month. I also have tons of portabel potties. 3 infact one for the toilet . one for the kitchen one for the toy room door. it works.eventally we get rid of them as they get more effeceint. again every kid was different.

but holding back is plain scared to me.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 2:06 am
I would sit and read books to dd. As soon as she got wrapped up in a story, she could make in the toilet. I'd smile, give some quiet praise and a sticker, and then we'd finish the story. Sometimes it took two stories, but that's ok too. For a while the bathroom looked like a small library, but she got to the point where she wouldn't need me. She would look at the pictures, do her business, and then call me when she needed help cleaning up. It worked amazingly well to relax her, and you can never spend too much time reading to your kid!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training