Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Paying a Shiva Call by Phone

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 6:22 pm
Any suggestions? I've never done this before but a family friend died so I intend to call to speak with both the widow and three sons of the deceased.
I'm not very good with shiva houses in person, and I'm even more nervous about doing this over the phone.
What do I say? (other than the hamakom yinachem...)

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 6:28 pm
Can I ask why your'e opting to call instead of visiting? Can you bring someone with you to the shiva house? Sorry to hear about your loss.

mrsERK

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 6:31 pm
Oh I wish I could go in person! I'm just not in the same city as the family so it is not possible.

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 6:33 pm
evers10 wrote:
Oh I wish I could go in person! I'm just not in the same city as the family so it is not possible.

They're probably not going to be in the mood to talk, so the phone call won't take more than five minutes. You're just calling to expres your sympathies, say you're sorry you can't be there, and you should BH see one another again during simcha, not tsurris. It'll be such a short phone call.

Will it be awkward? Yes. But will it be a quick call, and also the right thing to do (which you acknowledge)? Yes. Also, send a card.

Hope this helps.

shevi82

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:12 am
I had to do that a few times, when I was in Israel. They are short calls ,I said "He was a special person and we always felt close we will miss him..." and then Hamakom.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:18 am
Find out if they have a fax/email to write to. Many families would prefer that.

mrsERK

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 8:23 am
Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions - I'm going to look into it and then either email/write/call on Sunday. Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 5:36 pm
I always send a card. It's very hard to go in person.

bubby

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 5:45 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

If a person CAN go (ie in the same city) that is the Mitzvah. Sending a card is an easy way out & isn't a Mitzvah. But it is very nice to do that or phone if you physically can't go. I have driven to Canada to be Menachem Avel, but when I sat in UK I only heard from 3 people in the US. That was hurtful. I'm still waiting, 16 years later, for one of my neighbors to acknowledge my father died.

OP, don't worry, your friend will really appreciate your thoughtfulness. May we only call for simchos!

Isramom8

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 4:50 pm
Say "I'm so sorry about your loss," and then just listen. When I sat shiva for my mother a"h, the meaningful part was the FIRST SECOND that anyone visited or called. then I knew they cared, and I felt comforted. As far as the mitzva to me, they could have left or hung up after one second.

What made me Rolling Eyes was how people either started asking 'what happened exactly" or talking about someone they knew who had the same condition or their relative who died - as if they wanted to figure out how to prevent death or like it was all about them. Don't do that. Just listen and make listening noises.

The worst thing was when some unrelated topic of conversation came up and a visitor started arguing with me! Like, just leave, okay? I'm sitting shiva here!

Bubby, I'm sorry to hear of your father's petira. Crying

bubby

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 11:11 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Say "I'm so sorry about your loss," and then just listen. When I sat shiva for my mother a"h, the meaningful part was the FIRST SECOND that anyone visited or called. then I knew they cared, and I felt comforted. As far as the mitzva to me, they could have left or hung up after one second.

What made me Rolling Eyes was how people either started asking 'what happened exactly" or talking about someone they knew who had the same condition or their relative who died - as if they wanted to figure out how to prevent death or like it was all about them. Don't do that. Just listen and make listening noises.

The worst thing was when some unrelated topic of conversation came up and a visitor started arguing with me! Like, just leave, okay? I'm sitting shiva here!

Bubby, I'm sorry to hear of your father's petira. Crying

Thanks...after 16 years it's still very hard, especially when I see all his DGGC whom he never got to see. He would have been bursting with pride & Yiddishe/Chassidishe nachas (even though he wasn't Chassidish.) 3 of them are named for him. His yartzheit is 17 Tammuz, exactly 2 weeks after the Rebbe. I hate Tammuz. It's a very hard month for me.

Your comment about people speaking narishkeit...oh boy! I had to listen to some doozies! And when I was being menachem avel someone else whose DH was tragically killed I sat through another woman's verbal c**p. It was worse than everything that was said to me put together! If people don't know what to say, say nothing. You came, you care. It's enough.

May we only enjoy simchos together!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 1:14 am
chocolate moose wrote:
thanks for this idea, I missed calling someone who lives oot, and still want to either call, or send a card. (hadn't thought of that)

Levtov

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 1:49 am
I've had many times, that I could not personally attend a shiva call, and sent a fax instead. I heard back all the time, how much it was appreciated. They can read it many times when convenient. Also, many family members can read it. I usually say comforting words to family and something nice about the nifter ending with " Hamokom yenachem..."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette