Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
White tablecloth only for Shabbos?
1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:12 am
Or do you like a pattern to match your dishes?

And while we're at it, is it covered with a clear plastic, or not?

mother48

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:14 am
white or cream, covered with a medium thickness plasitic. not the hard plastic, but thicker then the ones that come in the boxes. this one lays nice, doesn't crinkle and looks nice.b

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:17 am
My favorite tablecloth is red, but a few weeks ago we switched to a white one with little flowers embordered on it.

mom23

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 11:08 am
For the first 6 years that I was married, I only used white tablecloths with disposable plastic on top. Then my MIL gave me this gorgeous tablecloth that matches my dining room chairs and my dishes. My husband loved the look so much that we use it almost every Shabbos and Yom Tov. We even bought a similar one, in additon to a white one for the seder, this past pesach since we couldn't find our pesach tablecloths. (They were hiding in my box that I stored the glasses in, and didn't find them till I was setting the table for the seder).

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 2:10 pm
I thought that we use white on Shabbos to remind us of the mohn that came as a double portion in the desert before Shabbos.

Esther01

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 2:20 pm
it's a minhag/custom not a halacha. whatever you make into a shabbos table cloth as long as its not the same as the weekway one. I use a beautiful white one (that I got as a gift for my wedding) but I have an aunt that uses a hunter green, it matches her dishes, she has green 'bentchers', green napkins, her table looks very nice. not traditional though.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 2:31 pm
We "cover" the table to remind us of the mohn.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:29 pm
DH is insistent on white--I bought a yellow linen one once and he made me get rid of it (well, I mean I could have kept it but we only use good tableclothes on Shabbos so what was the point--I gave it to my parents). We only use plastic covers on YT when there will be several days to use it or else if we are having a shiur or shalosh seudos and want the tablecloth to be quite clean even after Shabbos dinner and lunch.

I don't think he'd mind a little colored embroidery on a white cloth, but I've just gotten white on white.

We have a white table protector under the cloth, so if I ever really need to change tableclothes during Shabbos or YT, that "stands in" temporarily covering the table in white while I do it.

stem

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 7:27 pm
We use only white tablecloths without a plastic on top. We think it looks classier that way. Usually my husband spills some grape juice on the table within the first 20 seconds at the table... he always cracks the joke about taking after R' Akiva Eiger (who spilled his wine purposely so as not to embarrass his guest who spilled his wine on the white tablecloth).

Actually, we have one cream colored tablecloth. Every time we use it, we joke in a horrified voice "what about shidduchim?!" - we heard that the latest question people ask when checking out a potential shidduch is: "do they ch"v ever use non-white tableclothes?" Also using a plastic cover is considered less desirable in the world of Shidduchim... LOL

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 7:57 pm
we only use white tablecloth with some embroidary on it, my husband only accepts white.

shayna82

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 11:24 pm
we use white or cream. my husband also likes the white. we dont use any plastic on top.

tulips

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 11:52 pm
deleted

Last edited by tulips on Sat, Feb 10 2007, 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:09 am
I used to always keep my white tablecloth on my dining room table...
Not because I didn't have a nice oen for during the week, I did, I had one that was matching the chairs.. I simply was lazy to change it..
I kept the plastic on top of it, in case s/thing spills... but I had the hard plastic on it, plus a disoposable on that...

I'm not gonna tell u guys, what else was on the table all week long.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 4:02 am
White tablecloth, no plastic. Want to hear what my mother does? She has a lovely white tablecloth with embroidery along the edges. Over that she puts hard plastic and over that a white teralyn tablecloth that she can remove after the seuda. That way, even if the tablecloth gets dirty, there is a clean white tablecloth underneath.

MMEC123

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 5:20 am
When I was younger I always said I would have enough (white) tablecloths to last a three day YT so that I didn't have to use plastic. Now that I'm married I got at least 7 or 8 tablecloths for wedding presents but only ONE fits our table! So I use the same white tablecloth every shabbos with disposable plastic on it for each meal.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 6:56 am
Same here! Got about 20 white tablecloths as wedding gifts. (My sis got married about 10 montyhs after me and I guess ppl had not given us gifts when we got married and didn't want to give her w/out giving us. So we got like another three gifts at that time. They were ALL white tablecloths!)
I have only ONE tablecloth that covers the table we have now. None of them are big either. They'd all (I think) fit like a 6-8' folding table.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:31 pm
I would really love to have a table cloth thats reversible.. maybe s/one can sew it..
one side, nice for weekdays, and the other side, white for shabbos..

Now, I never eat at home, or Im not home at all on shabbos so I don't even put a tablecloth, besides, I have so many things on my table, that the table cant even been seen.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:43 pm
I hve a reversable one, dh hates it. I use one side for milchigs one for fleishigs.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:48 pm
why does he hate it? I'd love to just turn it over.. it would be soo much easier.

Buddy

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 4:06 pm
White tablecloth it is, covered with a plastic when we eat at home. My grandmother is hungarian and she would NEVER cover her table with a plastic (that includes Pesach & Purim, with all the grandchildren there...) She would also never use disposable dishes or cutlery
Just an idea, a silver or gold lining or any color that matches your dishes looks beatiful under a white tablecloth!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics