Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is Kolichal?

red sea

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 11:58 am
It says fillet kolichal looks like a roast kind of but round like a log?

I want to know how to prepare it basically.

louche

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 12:08 pm
It's a tough, lean cut of meat that is excelelnt in stews and other long,slow,moist-cooking dishes. It's what I used for cholent till the butcher shop closed and I had to shop at the supermarket. They sell "beef cubes" which I suspect is usually calechl.

red sea

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 12:19 pm
thanks louche, I use the beef cubes 2 or 3 cubes for my cholent, help! what can I do with this huge thing if not cholent - and that might taste good?

louche

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 12:27 pm
I call it goulash but I'm not Hungarian.

Cut it into big cubes, throw in a pot with some water, tomato s auce, bay leaf, garlic, onion and ground pepper. Cover, bring to boil, lower flame and simmer about an hour, then add potatoes, carrots, onions all cut up chunky, also some chopped green pepper if you like, and simmer till the meat is soft enough to stick a fork into. For sweet-and-sour, add lemon juice and some sugar.

You can also throw in some wine instead of tomato sauce.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:15 pm
Kolichal is a bit tough but you can get it to taste very good.
I assume you want to make it for Shabbos so I won't post the recipe I was going to suggest (needs to marinate for 24 hours before cooking.)
If you have an extra crockpot handy you can make amazingly soft meat in there.
Another option would be baking it in sauce, tightly covered, on medium, in the oven for a few hours.

red sea

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:28 pm
I am saving it for sunday or monday, so do post. I cant imagine cholent meat tasting that good, so tell me the best idea you have.

louche

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:29 pm
heavy seasoning and long, slow cooking.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:54 pm
red sea wrote:
I am saving it for sunday or monday, so do post. I cant imagine cholent meat tasting that good, so tell me the best idea you have.
Here you go. It's really delicious.
You can marinate the roast now ,stick it in the fridge, and cook it up Sunday morning.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....14586

Or you can maked shredded beef buns with it in the crockpot for dinner one night. (with barbecue sauce and other seasonings.) Really good. Let me know if you want the recipe.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 5:25 pm
it's fatty meat. not my favorite.

Mommastuff

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 11:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it's fatty meat. not my favorite.

quite the opposite. Every package I've had had very little fat.

I use it in cholent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen