Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Husband served Milchig margarine with Fleishig meal!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

elf123

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:54 am
Raisin wrote:
keeping chalav yisrael saves you from a lot of these mistakes. generally, the milchig stuff we buy is very obviously milchig, and is very clearly marked. But why should earth balance put in big letters dairy, if they are not a Jewish company.

but I'm sorry this happened. In general husbands just aren't so observant of these things. Mine ate cheesecake with a fleishig knife yesterday.

I forget which brand it is, and we don't keep chalav yisroel, but one of the brands here makes pareve/dairy ice creams and I can NEVER tell the containers apart without close examination.

elf123

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 10:56 am
Friedasima, I guess you didn't hear what happened here in Monsey a couple of years ago....

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:36 am
elf123 wrote:
Raisin wrote:
keeping chalav yisrael saves you from a lot of these mistakes. generally, the milchig stuff we buy is very obviously milchig, and is very clearly marked. But why should earth balance put in big letters dairy, if they are not a Jewish company.

but I'm sorry this happened. In general husbands just aren't so observant of these things. Mine ate cheesecake with a fleishig knife yesterday.

I forget which brand it is, and we don't keep chalav yisroel, but one of the brands here makes pareve/dairy ice creams and I can NEVER tell the containers apart without close examination.

I pretty much only eat milchig ice cream (on principal, pareve is not worth the calories) so that would never happen with me.

mommalah

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 12:40 pm
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:
We were married 4 months when I came down with an awful cold. Dh made me chicken soup from a can. He looked at the label which said OU-P. Thinking the "P" stood for pareve, he put it in a milchig bowl. (Not sure why he thought chicken soup was pareve!) He proudly served me the soup in a fancy china dairy bowl and I was like "WHAT! The P stands for Passover!! Since china couldn't be kashered, we thought everything was messed up...the bowl, the plastic serving spoon, the pot. He called OU who said it was fine....there is not enough actual chicken in the soup to mess everything up!

I would also think it meant pareve, unless it was pesach time. You can get pareve chicken consomme, so why not a soup?!
I once poured a dressing all over my chicken and for some reason I looked at the ingredients, not the hechsher, and saw it had some milk products. I didn't cook the chicken yet, so I just dumped it all. I don't know if I had to, but that's what I did.

This is a good example where ba'al tashchis could be averted if you simply knew the halacha and didn't just assume it was all treif. If it wasn't yet cooked I'm assuming it wasn't hot and if the two mixed products are not hot there is not even an issue. You just rinse the chicken well. I wonder how much food is wasted because people just don't know and assume the worst.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 12:51 pm
FS, my dad had several stories like that in Jlem. From charedi places. The worst involved cats (bh he didn't buy from them), don't ask for details. Really turned him off...

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 1:25 pm
My very frum mother inlaw brought us a dairy cake from a grocerystore for shabbat and it was ser ved after meat. It was cold so no issues with utensils but ugh. I was notvinvolvd in dinner even though at my house because I was puking my guts out most of the evening. During a break in the puking, I got conscious enough to ask where it came fromand when she said "the grocery store" I was like "uh oh. Which grocery store?". ".said she " I don't know" said me " someone check the package. " said she protestingly " it's kosher" said me " no doubt but stuff like thatis never dairy."

speaking As a professional who works under dairy designation, I know thAt sometimes things say dairy but are not. Anything baked at my work must say dairy.

jewels

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:50 pm
Couple weeks ago I served my husband veal chops for dinner and then ran out. When I came home I saw the plate in the sink with the remains of the veal smothered in this creamy dressing. The ONLY creamy dressing I had in the fridge was buttermilk ranch with a giant OU-D on it! I don't know why the buttermilk part didn't tip him off that it may not be the smartest thing to put on meat but somehow he missed it.. I think he went to throw up after that.

Only a man would miss something like that! Wink

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:52 pm
I once asked my rav if one should throw up after such a mistake (I don't remember if it happened to me or a family member), and he said no because it adds wasting to eating treif. I found that interesting!

jewels

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:55 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I once asked my rav if one should throw up after such a mistake (I don't remember if it happened to me or a family member), and he said no because it adds wasting to eating treif. I found that interesting!

I know I wasn't sure what the proper thing to do was either!

elf123

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 2:59 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
My very frum mother inlaw brought us a dairy cake from a grocerystore for shabbat and it was ser ved after meat. It was cold so no issues with utensils but ugh. I was notvinvolvd in dinner even though at my house because I was puking my guts out most of the evening. During a break in the puking, I got conscious enough to ask where it came fromand when she said "the grocery store" I was like "uh oh. Which grocery store?". ".said she " I don't know" said me " someone check the package. " said she protestingly " it's kosher" said me " no doubt but stuff like thatis never dairy."

speaking As a professional who works under dairy designation, I know thAt sometimes things say dairy but are not. Anything baked at my work must say dairy.

I don't understand your story, you were not clear. Were you (purposely or not) puking b/c you ate dairy after meat? Or were you just sick, nothing to do with the food? And what was your point about the store...was the cake actually not kosher in the end, or just dairy? And based on your last sentence, was the cake, kosher or unkosher, actually dairy or just marked dairy?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 6:16 pm
OPer coming out the closet since, it seems like Im not the only one

Thanks for all youer support.

Can just 1 person yell at me and tell me what a bad Jewish person/wife/hostess/mother I am? It will make me feel loads better!!!!

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 6:51 pm
Well, if it will make you feel better:

I'M NOT EATING ANYTHING MADE ON YOUR MILCHIG KEILIM! Very Happy

We're very good friends, and my family is strict to only eat from on CY keilim...etc etc etc

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 7:22 pm
imabima wrote:
A tip...
I buy two of the parve Earth Balances then write in huge letters with a black sharpie "Fleishig" on one and "Milchig" on the other. This usually avoids any confusion!

we do this too and get the squeeze kind for corn and label Pareve for pareve meals ,like baked potato or corn .

OP stuff happens glad your LOR put you at ease Very Happy

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 7:24 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
imabima wrote:
A tip...
I buy two of the parve Earth Balances then write in huge letters with a black sharpie "Fleishig" on one and "Milchig" on the other. This usually avoids any confusion!

we do this too and get the squeeze kind for corn and label Pareve for pareve meals ,like baked potato or corn .

OP stuff happens glad your LOR put you at ease Very Happy

Thing is, we usually NEVER get the milchig stuff, if we are having milchigs we use stick butter. It was just a fluke (and inattention) that he got the milchig stuff

saw50st8

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 7:29 pm
freidasima wrote:
I beat you all.
I once served a roast and then we found out that the butcher had been selling treif!
Not great at all.
I was ready to throw out the stove, not to speak of the fact that I couldn't stop throwing up for a week.

I didn't even want to tell dh....I was so embarrased. But it wasn't only me. It was a story here in Yerushalayim about 25 years ago and everyone who bought from this guy was in gehokte zurris...B"h my father was still alive and he told me what I had to do...and the first thing he told me was KAPORRO. It was totally beshogeg, no one could have known, the butcher himself didn't know, he had been given what was supposed to be fresh beef and ...anyhow it was a long story.

No I didn't throw out my stove, we had to blowtorch everything. Silverware was no problem, you can kasher everything. I didn't want to even think of kashering the roasting pan, out it went, although halochically I could have blowtorched it at well. But the thought of it made me want to throw up, you should excuse me.

Dishes, ah dishes. You don't want to know.
That was - miracle of miracles - BEFORE my mother had given me her good Rosenthal set.
It was melmac plastic carp (please transpose letters, I don't mean the fish).
Into the garbagio it went.
It only cost $16 anyhow when we got married.
Got new plastic carppy dishes for fleishig.

And didn't buy meat for about ten years after that.
Only chicken.
Yeah well.
But the most important thing my father said was IT WAS BESHOGGEG and my ogmas nefesh was probably a kapporo for something...so...
And he had eaten with us Friday nite.
I asked him what he thought and he had only one comment..."well it was tasty"...
Which was obviously just to make me laugh as I was crying so hard...

So chill.
It was BESHOGEG

A few years back there was a big scandal in Monsey where one of the big stores was selling treif chicken.

My mother was one of the few who was unaffected because she always bought her chicken on sale at Pathmark. Sometimes it pays to be frugal :-)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 7:49 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:

We're very good friends, and my family is strict to only eat from on CY keilim...etc etc etc

neener neener. Well I wont eat you chopped liver or herring ever!!

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 7:54 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:

I never make/serve chopped liver Wink

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 8:00 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:

I never make/serve chopped liver Wink

That makes two of us (shudder)

louche

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 8:41 pm
Not to make anyone feel bad here, BUT....
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

what's with the milchik margarine? I must have been all of seven and my mother sent me to the grocery for a few items. She told me "Never buy milchik margarine, it's too easy to make a mistake." And so I have never bought milchik margarine, but even so I never served margarine with fleishik meals. One margarine in the house, and everyone knew it was for milchik use.

Nor would I dream of buying a milchik salad dressing. With all the varieties of pareve salad dressings on the market, we can live without buttermilk ranch. Everything milchik in our house is unmistakable: milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. I refuse to have in the house anything that's normally pareve that has some hidden milchik ingredients: no milchik breakfast cereals or cookies or sour cream-flavored potato chips, thank you. Why make life any more complicated than it has to be?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Glad to know everything turned out OK.

I was once at my in-laws for Pesach, and my MIL served a cake for dessert. We were all eating it saying, "This is AMAZING. You can't even tell it's Pesach cake." Sort of half-jokingly my MIL checked to make sure it actually was KLP, and....IT WASN'T!!!

This made me laugh out loud. I don't even know why. LOL

Raisin wrote:

People have allergies to dairy and as such, they tend to point that out.

Banana wrote:
My mother once put cheese blintzes in the cholent thinking it was potato! We woke up on Friday morning to the weirdest smell! LOL

LOL

jewels wrote:
Couple weeks ago I served my husband veal chops for dinner and then ran out. When I came home I saw the plate in the sink with the remains of the veal smothered in this creamy dressing. The ONLY creamy dressing I had in the fridge was buttermilk ranch with a giant OU-D on it! I don't know why the buttermilk part didn't tip him off that it may not be the smartest thing to put on meat but somehow he missed it.. I think he went to throw up after that.

Only a man would miss something like that! Wink

ROTFL!!

saw50st8 wrote:

A few years back there was a big scandal in Monsey where one of the big stores was selling treif chicken.

My mother was one of the few who was unaffected because she always bought her chicken on sale at Pathmark. Sometimes it pays to be frugal :-)

Your mother was one of many. There are a good few butchers around here that take their meat from different places and as such, many that never shopped in that store weren't affected. However, if she's been by simchas in certain halls around here, she might have had some (gag!).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen