Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Starting over" with your kallah jewelry
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:12 pm
If you got a diamond ring, for example, and could "startover", would you have chosen the same things?

And if not, why?

I'll start......I do like my large 2 ct diamond but it's so big it has to have a heavy setting (6 prongs) and I think a smaller stone would be more versatile. I didn't start wearing it until our 10th weding anniv. anyway.

I think I'd just go for a multi colored gemstone ring.

mother48

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:25 pm
I would choose a diff ring setting for my diamond.

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:26 pm
I didn't get a diamond ring (by choice) and thus far, I don't regret it.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:28 pm
I would have my engagement and wedding bands set in platinum, that way they won't yellow...

preggymama

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:35 pm
My MIL budgeted a certain amount for the diamond ring, a necklace and silver lichter. I am not complaining that the amounts were pretty small, But I regret that I kept my mouth shut and didnt speak up for what I wanted - I would way rather have gotten one really nice thing instead of a few cheaper gifts

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:38 pm
Oh yes, I regret not speaking up and saying I'd rather spend the full leichter amount on fixing a beautiful old set than getting a brand new one that's not my style...

I'm hoping a sister or sister-in-law likes them, and I'll just graduate to a candelabra or something.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:49 pm
I'd have gotten white instead of yellow gold and a completely different design, but I wasn't given any choice in the matter. my in-laws bought engagement-and-wedding band sets for each of their sons at some point when the opportunity presented itself, just in case they didn't have the means when their sons actually became engaged. Their sons may not even have been dating at the time the rings were bought!

Truthfully, my rings don't mean all that much to me for that very reason. Dh had no stake in them, he didn't even have a say in choosing them, and they weren't chosen for me but for "our son's future kalloh", whoever she might be. My ring is lovely, and I never expected to have a diamond ring at all because dh wasn't working when we got engaged. But I think I'd have preferred even a $20 silver ring that dh had bought for me--and preferably had gone with me to pick out. The diamond is really not from him, and wasn't really for me, kwim? I treasure much more a ring that his grandmother gave me not long after we were married. It's worth only a small fraction as much as the diamond, I'm sure, but it was given to ME, has a family history, and spoke volumes to me about his grandmother. nothing spells acceptance into the family like giving the new member an item of your jewelry --wow!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 2:52 pm
you can have your rings dipped into white gold - its not expensive - it costs like $30.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 3:20 pm
make sure the jewelry store guarantees it!

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 5:28 pm
I picked my ring, I love my ring, its the ring I wanted since I was a little girl!

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:02 pm
.............hated my ring...........
detested my watch........
bought my own leichta.........
necklace was a joke.......... it was an. umbrella......im not kidding.......
thank god I pick my own stuff out now.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:49 pm
I would have my wedding band & diamond with white gold or platinum instead of yellow. And baguettes on the side of the diamond. I would've rather had a nicer necklace (but my inlaws can't afford much). I love my leichter though. My Bubby bought them (I chose) with a matching tray.

ny21

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:57 pm
I still ove my ring every time I look at it!

I have had my ring over 15 years !
my diamond has two biggets on either side !

it is in a platinum setting !

I LOL LOL

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:10 pm
Nope, everything is great Very Happy

MMEC123

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:57 am
I guess I haven't really been married long (a year & a half) enough to qualify for answering this question, but I love all my stuff. The only thing I picked out was my ring- it's very unique so I love it. DH (and I think his grandmother, though he doesn't admit it) picked out my watch and my earrings (got those instead of necklace cuz I didn't want a necklace). I think they're both beautiful. I probably wouldn't have picked out either on my own but I'm kinda sentimental in the fact that they're from DH so they mean a lot to me.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 9:26 am
Quote:
I'll start......I do like my large 2 ct diamond but it's so big it has to have a heavy setting (6 prongs) and I think a smaller stone would be more versatile

sara, I have a larger than 2 ct & I have 4 prongs... maybe just change ur setting

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 10:02 am
a large stone is not secure with only four prongs.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 10:23 am
Quote:
a large stone is not secure with only four prongs.

many jewelers disagree with u.

Motek

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 12:01 pm
Ruchel!!! Three months does not qualify you to answer this thread! Wink

Hisorerus - why didn't you want a diamond ring? Did you choose something else instead?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 12:05 pm
I also didn't want a big diamond. That's why I waited until we were married 10 years to set it.

I would like to hve sold it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics