Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do You Drink Caffeine?
1  2  Next

Do you drink a caffeinated beverage at least one a day?
Yes  
 49%  [ 52 ]
No  
 50%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 105

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:03 am
DH claims that in order to cope with the strain of modern living a person just have to consume caffeine on a daily basis. I'm wondering if this is true. Do you feel you must consume caffeine in order to handle all your various duties?
How many hours do you sleep?
Are you always tired?
Please answer also approx how much caffeine you drink or other coping mechanisms you use.

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:14 am
chanchy123 wrote:
DH claims that in order to cope with the strain of modern living a person just have to consume caffeine on a daily basis. I'm wondering if this is true. Do you feel you must consume caffeine in order to handle all your various duties?
How many hours do you sleep?
Are you always tired?
Please answer also approx how much caffeine you drink or other coping mechanisms you use.

Yes, I feel I need caffeine to cope. When I worked various jobs I did not, but from about 3 years ago when I began my current job, I have a large cup (maybe considered 2 cups?) in the morning and another large cup at 4PM. Without those 2 cups I don't get through the day.

I work a bit in the mornings, and then straight through afternoons and nights. I end work after 12, I would say I get between 5 and 7 hours of sleep a night. Yes, I'm tired very often, and I rely heavily on Shabbos and Sunday night to catch up.

ora_43

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:27 am
I drink caffeine, but I don't think it helps deal with anything in the long term. Once your body gets used to the caffeine it doesn't give you extra energy anymore, instead you need it just to get to a normal level of energy. And it can prevent you from sleeping well, making you even more tired.

I use caffeine in part because my sleep schedule is no good due to work (not that I ever had a good sleep schedule). So if I have two back-to-back shifts, I'll drink coffee before the second one - then have trouble sleeping that night, then have some the next morning to compensate...

It's hard not to go back to it because every time I quit there's some short-term crisis that comes up (I'm dead tired at the start of an 8-hour shift, or the baby kept me up all night and now I have to get through 9 hours with the kids before dh gets home, things like that) and I have "just one" cup and that's how it starts.

So it doesn't help get more done over the course of a month, but over the course of one day it can be critical. And if you have a job that messes with your body clock it's also necessary, although that's a really unhealthy thing to do I think (even though yes, I do it myself).

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:49 am
No, because it doesn't help with alertness or wakefulness in the least, just makes me jittery.

Last edited by sequoia on Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

mimivan

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:57 am
ora_43 wrote:
I drink caffeine, but I don't think it helps deal with anything in the long term. Once your body gets used to the caffeine it doesn't give you extra energy anymore, instead you need it just to get to a normal level of energy. And it can prevent you from sleeping well, making you even more tired.

I use caffeine in part because my sleep schedule is no good due to work (not that I ever had a good sleep schedule). So if I have two back-to-back shifts, I'll drink coffee before the second one - then have trouble sleeping that night, then have some the next morning to compensate...

It's hard not to go back to it because every time I quit there's some short-term crisis that comes up (I'm dead tired at the start of an 8-hour shift, or the baby kept me up all night and now I have to get through 9 hours with the kids before dh gets home, things like that) and I have "just one" cup and that's how it starts.

So it doesn't help get more done over the course of a month, but over the course of one day it can be critical. And if you have a job that messes with your body clock it's also necessary, although that's a really unhealthy thing to do I think (even though yes, I do it myself).

I ditto both Ora and Sequoia..but it actually isn't even keeping me awake much anymore...so I'm trying to quit again.
I can't go on like this for years and years..maybe I'll try cold showers to keep me awake instead. My body is really not liking it anymore. Wish me luck.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:03 am
Also, it's a trade off when it comes to work..
I find I am making more errors because the coffee makes me nervous and jittery and hasty in general...but then again, if I don't drink caffeine, I don't get a pick me up to prevent me from falling asleep
I'd say a good move would be from coffee to jasmine or green tea.

baba

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:09 am
I dont drink it at all.
I dont like coffee and dont feel it helps.

I just go on and try to take a quick nap if I really need it. (while the baby is napping and my 3 yo is resting or reading/playing next to me, I wake up very easily, so I'll hear if she's up to something)

I sleep between 6-7 hours a night

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:54 am
I dont like how coffee tastes so I dont drink any.

I also try not to nap during the day as then I have trouble falling asleep at night.

I sleep, on average about 6 - 8 hours but it is not straight through. I never sleep well so I am sleeping like a baby (up every few hours and then try to fall back asleep)

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:00 am
No caffeine for me. It gives me migraines. Sad

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:40 am
I stopped cold turkey a while ago. I actually have more energy now than I did when I drank caffeine.

exhausted

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:42 am
I drink coffee a few times a week, sometimes as a pick me up in the afternoons, and sometimes just because I like it. I dont have it every day because I don't want to become addicted. I sleep about 6-7 hours a night in a good week, less if I'm busier, which is happening more and more. I'm always tired.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:43 am
Your husband feels that way because he's addicted. A person doesn't need that except if they are addicted to it.

I drink coffee (iced cappuccino actually) whenever I feel very stressed. It is a fix for me and not something I must have to survive. It is simply something that I've gotten used to in order to relieve some of my stress.

ven

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:50 am
I drink coffee , but I dont use it because I really "need" it. its more a morning habit , I can do without for long periods of time no prob.

shosh

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:53 am
Well, let's see. I probably have more coffee in my veins than blood. Though I think I have cut down somewhat, I wouldn't like to tell any of you how much I have been known to drink on occasion. Coffee is my Ritalin, and I drink copious amounts while I'm working. It doesn't keep me awake any more, doesn't make me particularly irritable, but I think it does help me concentrate.

I am sleep deprived - I sleep about five hours a night - and that's after I started to get more disciplined! That's nothing to do with coffee, though. It's to do with my crazy life and schedule.

But I can't be too addicted as I don't drink any coffee on Shabbos because my Shabbos urn broke and I couldn't be bothered to replace it. In fact, I probably won't replace it because I think it's better for me to go 24 hours without any caffeine. I find I don't get extra irritable or any terrible headaches without it. In fact, I hardly miss it and often go without it on Motzoei Shabbos as well. I just start again on Sunday morning, when I need to get on with my work ...

I drink my coffee quite strong - Nescafe Vanilla - with two spoons of sugar. I'm sure you all hate me by now, but as I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or sleep around, it's not such a bad vice to have ...

its all good

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 10:01 am
I drink caffeinated drinks 2-3 times a week
I find that caffeinated drinks don't even work for me-I drink it more because its yummy;)

My caffeine is a good workout Very Happy
I find that if I workout every day Im not tired or as stressed out- and my day goes a lot better!

shanie5

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 10:37 am
No coffee, and preferably caffeine free soda when I have soda. I dont have more energy when I do have the caffeined soda-it doesnt seem to affect me in any way.

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 11:06 am
No coffee for me. Can't stand the taste. I drink water throughout the day and if I feel like cheating I'll have a snapple. When I was single I had like 7 snapples a day so not sure if the caffeine in that made me addicted Very Happy but I had to stop when I got pregnant - Dr. told me not to have more than 1 per day - it was really hard in the beginning..... hmmm maybe it was withdrawel embarrassed

NativeMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:25 pm
I do. More than one cup a day. I'm trying to cut down for health reasons but it's hard. If I feel I've had to much I'll have decaf but I love my cup of coffee, especially if I'm studying or have a long day at the hospital/school.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:29 pm
Neither dh nor I drink coffee (we don't like). If he's really tired he drinks a tea, I drink an ice tea soda thing.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 3:45 pm
I never get jittery from coffee, it actually calms my nerves. I can drink a fully caffeinated 16 mug and go to sleep. But I also need it in the morning to function. Strange, I know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics