Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What was the strangest wedding gift you received?
1  2  3  Next

mindyme

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:10 am
A set of white linen

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:30 am
Whats so strange about it?

mommy7

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:43 am
A broken, 3rd-hand leaning tower of pisa silver-plated honey dish (without a dish!) from one of the wealthiest men my dh's family knows closely and personally.

My husband laughed until he cried when he saw it. Apparently, this guy is know to very much hate parting with his money.

And I also got white linen. From my grandmother. Isn't that like a big minhag or something? It was the wrong size for my mattress so I happily use it for my guest room. Came in very handy.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:10 am
A really horrendous cake platter with butterflies and flowers with a card that read:

Dear Max and Sylvia,
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.
Sincerely,
Sam and Beverly.

I saved the card and the platter because it is a reminder to regift with CAUTION! or better yet... NEVER REGIFT something you yourself wouldn't use.

goldapoe

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:36 am
A set of six small glasses decorated with green boats on them. We thought they were the ugliest and put them away for Pesach. 29 Pesachs later they are so meaningful to us! I almost cried when one broke a few years ago. This was a gift from someone on dh's side. Quite a few years ago someone pointed out the "signature" on the glass and that it was from a very famous painter. It explained a little as the relatives who gave it certainly could give more than 6 glasses from KMart! Now I love my boat glasses.

imabima

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:12 am
I had a whole box of "regift" items from my wedding 6 years ago and after a recent move, they all went to Goodwill. I guess there was a reason they went into that box to begin with. Smile

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:19 am
ValleyMom wrote:
A really horrendous cake platter with butterflies and flowers with a card that read:

Dear Max and Sylvia,
Sincerely,
Sam and Beverly.

I saved the card and the platter because it is a reminder to regift with CAUTION! or better yet... NEVER REGIFT something you yourself wouldn't use.
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

shosh

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:25 am
A really ugly clock in the shape of a teapot that my exdh laughed and laughed about. I think he threw out of the window or something in the end ...

shosh

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:27 am
ValleyMom wrote:

Dear Max and Sylvia,
Sincerely,
Sam and Beverly.

Oh is that where that went?!!! I was looking for that cake platter for ages!

[size=8] Just kidding! [/size] Wink

sheepo

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:02 am
cheese.
in the mail.
from germany.

oh, and a kiddush cup engraved from someone else's wedding.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:22 am
a blank, sealed card in plastic. Just got this card about 2 weeks ago.

sruth1

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:56 am
Wooden candle sticks.

Yocheved84

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:36 am
A card offering myself and DH a free haircut and color. 1) I was going to be covering my hair anyway and 2) DH is bald.

im here!

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:40 am
My mil got 1 spoon & 1 fork. not a serving size. the regular eating size LOL

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:43 am
A Druzi tapestry/rag (never been sure)
An "art moderne" lamp, that I "forgot" at my grandparents
a silver knife (apparently in some circles it's done, but I and my parents found it VERY weird)

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:26 am
A ceramic dish that can't fit anything into it. It looks sort of like a canoe, but the sides are wavy so that anything liquidy would leak out of it. It's just big enough that I could probably squeeze the slices of pickle into it. It came with a spoon, which we call "the paddle."

It's the thought that counts.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
A ceramic dish that can't fit anything into it. It looks sort of like a canoe, but the sides are wavy so that anything liquidy would leak out of it. It's just big enough that I could probably squeeze the slices of pickle into it. It came with a spoon, which we call "the paddle."

An olive tray? I actually bought one of those, but mine came with little metal picks with olives on them.

louche

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:04 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

An olive tray? I actually bought one of those, but mine came with little metal picks with olives on them.

Sounds like a dish for canned cranberry sauce. You slide the jellied sauce out of the can onto the dish (you cut off the top and bottom of the can and use the bottom to push the whole thing out) and either slice it or leave it whole and let the diners slice it themselves using the "paddle" .

shnipsel

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:21 pm
A pack of four diff sized scissors together with party picks (fancy toothpicks)!!!!

mind you the scissors come in handy!

slushiemom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:21 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
A card offering myself and DH a free haircut and color. 1) I was going to be covering my hair anyway and 2) DH is bald.
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

We got a nice kiddush cup with a plate- and on the plate had the name engraved of the people who gave it to us! not as regifted, but it said in hebrew 'from mishpachat X'

we think of them every time we make kiddush Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics