Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Publishing a children's book

DS

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:28 pm
I would like to write a children's book. Can anyone offer any advice on the process? I don't think I want to self publish, and would probably want an agent. Thank You!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:15 pm
I have a published book, and my sister does too. Many Jewish publishers take unsolicited manuscripts. Mine was published by Hachai. If you're trying to write for the secular market.... good luck.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:57 pm
I published without an agent - went directly to the publishers.

DS

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:10 pm
It's an educational book geared to the general population - not targeting Jewish. I'm hesitant to submit my info directly to the publishers for fear of making a mistake and there are so many publishers that won't look at me without an agent. I thought agents take 15%. Is that a lot? What are profits like for childrens books?

How long does it take to get something onto a bookshelf from the time I have a draft of the book?

For those that self published, is it expensive (finding an illustrator etc) and don't you have to get heavily involved with sales?

Thanks again!

cb

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 9:13 pm
hoe does one start? do you only have the title and text and how do you find someone to illustrate it?

is there an online website where you can put together your book with images etc?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 9:38 pm
My friend Dina published this book http://www.amazon.com/Unoffici.....r=1-1

It was a long process, but she was very determined.

You can find her on Facebook, message her, see if she has time to give you advice!

cb

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 9:40 pm
TranquilityAndPeace:

did she find it worth it her time? does she make money of it, or is it more as a hobby and not for panossah?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 10:13 pm
Yes, it was worth it.

I'm not going to post how much money she made, obviously. She is doing this as her parnassah, and she also finds it fulfilling.

It's also a stepping stone to get more and more books published, which she is doing. It seems that the hardest part is to get that first agent to represent you and get you a contract with a publisher.

From what I could glean of this world, an author has to keep putting out more books to keep making money.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 10:30 pm
Thanks, DS, for starting this "thread." I, too, would like to publish a book. It is a Jewish children's book. I already created the story, however, I do not know where to go from here. Do I submit it to all the Jewish publishers? Must I also have art work available, or will they provide the pics and just use my story?

amother

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:11 pm
I also tried to publish a book and it is not easy. I did not think that you make that much money at the end. The publisher's I went to loved my idea but wanted A LOT of money for me to put up in order to publish it. I did not see the point then to publish it. (we are taking into the ten thousand's...) it was going to have pictures in it and not drawings. Although I know someone who published a book and paid a fortune to have an illustrator. I would love to hear more here to see what to do. I still wish I could publish a book. Good luck!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
I also tried to publish a book and it is not easy. I did not think that you make that much money at the end. The publisher's I went to loved my idea but wanted A LOT of money for me to put up in order to publish it. I did not see the point then to publish it. (we are taking into the ten thousand's...) it was going to have pictures in it and not drawings. Although I know someone who published a book and paid a fortune to have an illustrator. I would love to hear more here to see what to do. I still wish I could publish a book. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure that Dina did not have to put any money up. However, she had to give the agent and publishing house complete rights to the book, and she gets royalties.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 3:33 am
Is Dina your friend? She's my cousin Smile We're so proud of her success, but it did take her a lot of time and effort and rejections.

cb

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:11 pm
also I there an online program where I can design/illustrate my own images for the storeys. I have seen a program but you can only use it if you print it with them. I just want to create it myself and then show it to a publisher. do you know such a program?

runninglate

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:13 pm
I dont know, cb, but can you give me the adress for that website pls?

cb

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 9:16 pm
http://www.storyjumper.com

if you figure out how to put it together and print it your own way, not through them, let me know.

thanks

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 10:03 pm
sarahd wrote:
Is Dina your friend? She's my cousin Smile We're so proud of her success, but it did take her a lot of time and effort and rejections.

Small world! Yes, Dina and I have been friends for years. I remember when she first thought of this idea, and all the steps along the way...

amother

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:23 pm
I am also interested in publishing a childrens book through a Jewish publisher.
Anyone who has had a book published, how much do they pay? Do you have to lay out money?

cb

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:30 pm
one publisher said they want book that are already illustrated, do you know of a program easy to use to illustrate? design?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 9:35 pm
can someone give a mini crash course on submitting a book to publishers? Here are my questions: do you need to submit it with illustrations, or can you submit just text to see if there is interest in it? Do you need to copyright it before you submit? How do you contact publishers? Tia. A friend needs this info.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
can someone give a mini crash course on submitting a book to publishers? Here are my questions: do you need to submit it with illustrations, or can you submit just text to see if there is interest in it? Do you need to copyright it before you submit? How do you contact publishers? Tia. A friend needs this info.

If you're submitting a picture book, DO NOT submit with illustrations. You can submit with minor illustration notes if the illustrations you're envisioning tell a part of the story beyond the text, but don't go overboard. A picture book is viewed as a collaboration between the author and the illustrator (even if the two never actually talk or meet) so there needs to be room for the illustrator chosen by the publisher to add creatively to the process.

It is absolutely unnecessary to copyright a book before you submit it. I know it's everyone's worry, but in all my time in publishing, I have never ever seen a publisher get a submission, reject it, and use the idea. If we like the idea, why would we take it to someone else, when the work has already been done by you? Besides, the idea isn't the selling point--it's the way you execute it.

Most major publishers no longer accept submissions without an agent, so it's recommended that you pursue an agent first. If an agent is interested in your book, check them on this website (http://pred-ed.com/pubagent.htm) to make sure they're legit. Before you sign up with them, check a few things. First, their previous sales. If they're a brand new agent with a legitimate agency, they might not have impressive sales, but they will have the backing of a big agency, so that shouldn't be a concern. But they or someone in their agency should be able to tell you about selling books in the same vein as yours. Also, the money ALWAYS flows to the author. The publisher pays the agent (who takes 15%) and then pays the author. If anyone ever asks you for any money at any part of the process, you are being ripped off.

The only exception to the agented-submissions-only rule is, if you go to an SCBWI (http://www.scbwi.org/) conference, usually the staff at that conference (agents and editors) will accept one submission each from each attendee. So if there's a particular editor or agent you think might be right for your book, see if she will be at an SCBWI conference in your area and consider attending.

Finally, I highly recommend that before you submit your book, you go to the bookstore and look at what's currently selling, and how the book is laid out. You should be able to envision your book as a 32 page picture book (if that's what it is)--the text should be able to be broken out in that format.

Good luck! I am posting as amother to remain anonymous, but if anyone has any further questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics