Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you store your onions and potatoes?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:25 am
I had them in bags, baskets, bowls, etc. Either they begin to sprout (maybe I'm just not using them fast enough?) And/or their molding/getting nasty, in which I have to throw them out.

So, wise women of imamother, tell me what you do?

(oh, I don't have enough room in the fridge for them)

And, I like to buy the 3 lb. bag of onions or 5 lb bag of potatoes because then I always have them instead of buying 3-5 at a time. Plus it's usually cheaper that way.

pina colada

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:27 am
refrigerator

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:27 am
Oh, I don't store them together! (anymore)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:29 am
Mimisinger wrote:
I had them in bags, baskets, bowls, etc. Either they begin to sprout (maybe I'm just not using them fast enough?) And/or their molding/getting nasty, in which I have to throw them out.

So, wise women of imamother, tell me what you do?

(oh, I don't have enough room in the fridge for them)

And, I like to buy the 3 lb. bag of onions or 5 lb bag of potatoes because then I always have them instead of buying 3-5 at a time. Plus it's usually cheaper that way.
Onions I but just a bit more than I need and leave them in a basket on the counter, not inside anything. Potatoes I buy just what I need, no matter what they cost, rather than throwing them out when they grow eyes. I don't have potatoes just lying around - either I need them that week or they don't get bought.

Rima

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:34 am
I store them in the refrigerator Exclamation

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:46 am
I have a four tiered metal thing on wheels, kind of rectangular. kitchen towels in the first layer, under that potatoes, under that onions and on bottom sweet potatoes. They last for a long time that way.

invisible

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:58 am
Don't store them together.

They cause each other to rot.

I cut a paper bag (grocery) so its shorter and I place potatos in one and onions in the other.

dewyt

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:59 am
freidasima has the best idea. they do keep long like that. but not if ya have a curious little walking one year old that unpacks everything he gets his paws on! I sorta have the same prob as OP....but cant keep them anywhere "out" cuz of kiddos

shopaholic

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 11:12 am
I have a very small kitchen & no room for a vegetable bin. I have 2 drawers at the bottom of the fridge. The bottom one is for carrots, onions & potatoes. They stay fresh much longer this way.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:01 pm
I keep them in a stackable basket under my kitchen sink. just a little note: if the room is too warm it might cause it to spoil. They both last a nice 2-2 1/2 weeks fresh. I find that onions in the refrigerator dont stay with the same fresh effects as onions fept in room temperature.

NativeMom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:06 pm
freidasima wrote:
I have a four tiered metal thing on wheels, kind of rectangular. kitchen towels in the first layer, under that potatoes, under that onions and on bottom sweet potatoes. They last for a long time that way.

I have a 3 tiered plastic thing on wheels Smile onions on top, potatoes in the middle and odds and ends on the bottom

You're supposed to store them in cool dry place, don't store potatoes in the fridge

str

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:09 pm
I keep them in a draw in the refrigerator

joy613

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 12:26 pm
Onions I store in the fridge. Besides for keeping fresh for longer, they don't cause my eyes to tear when cutting.
Potatoes I store in the cabinet.

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 1:43 pm
The starch in potatoes turns to sugar when refrigerated. Ideal temp for potatoes is cooler than room temperature, but not refrigerated (I keep them in the garage during the cooler part of the year).

IME plastic bags make them rot faster. Store in paper in a cool dark place.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 2:25 pm
It's important to keep them cool and dark. You can even cover a carton with a dark cotton cloth/ sheet. My Pesach potatoes lasted till after Shavuos like that. Plastic and/or light ruins them.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 8:59 pm
I am terrible.
I store them together in a special bin I bought at a vintage store.
There is a drawer below for onion but I toss them all in together and then wonder why they dont seem to last long...
Hmmm...

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 9:01 pm
FYI my market has a 3 pound bag of CHOPPED FRESH onion for $2.99
I just grab fistfuls and ziploc them and toss them in the freezer.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 9:43 pm
Store them, separately, in a cool dark place.

I place them in specific containers from Tupperware under my kitchen sink. (I usually do not go for Tupperware products, but I love this one.)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012.....UITI2
The top cover comes off and there is a separate vented cover to be used for root vegetables. (that piece is not shown in the above picture.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen