Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Going to a non baby-proof / friendly home

Yakira

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 3:20 pm
Would you / have you gone to homes where it wasn't baby-proof or kid friendly? What if an older relative invites you, would you go without a problem? Warn her about your children's tendencies? Decline the invite?
Also looking for fun things to bring that they can play with in a place without toys, something not too big that will keep them busy for more than just a few minutes.

Thanks.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 3:24 pm
I would definitely warn them first.

yummymummy

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 3:24 pm
How long are we talking about? Visiting for a couple of hours or an entire weekend? As for toys, can you specify how old the kid(s) are? Thanks.

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 3:25 pm
Warn them beforehand what they are in for. My son loves dolls and books. With toys u have to know what works for u. Mega blocks and cars might be good choice, again u have to know your kid!

Yakira

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 3:31 pm
we were invited for dinner and to spend the night (they are far). I sent her a very nice email thanking her so much and just reminding her that my kids (aged 2 and 1) are very rambunctious and like to explore, etc and she should please be open if she is comfortable with that in her home.

Maybe if I buy a new thing of megablocks or s/t it would be exciting for them.

yummymummy

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 3:41 pm
I would try to keep a careful eye on them; you don't have to keep them in a playpen or anything but I wouldn't leave them unattended either. As for toys, mega blocks is a great idea. My kids could also keep themselves entertained for a while with little "menchies" and some accessories (like the ones from fisher price or littly tikes) or a fun look and find book with lots of pictures.

Last edited by yummymummy on Sun, Jun 27 2010, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 7:50 pm
We've done it. A couple places we visited were just not so baby/kid proof/friendly, but nothing crazy that couldn't be overcome with very close supervision. Wasn't so great, but if we really wanted to visit it could be worth it. But then we also have visited places that were just death traps for babies and little kids. I would never ever go again for any reason whatsoever. When you're kids can't move a foot to the left of the right without being in danger of knocking over a glass table or falling down a steep staircase with no banister, etc. it's just misery.

mamacita

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 9:43 pm
I avoid it if I can, it's just not pleasant for anyone involved.

Unfortunately my MIL is of the "just tell them not to touch" camp and didn't understand why dd kept touching everything and wasn't "listening." I tried to explain that saying "don't touch the remote" doesn't teach her not to also touch the phone, tchotchky, other remote, favorite magazine, cookbook, etc that are laying about at toddler level. *sigh* I try to stay on top of her and it means I can't help MIL as much as she'd like, but I'm sure it would be worse if I let dd loose to destroy everything she could reach!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:54 pm
I have gone many times to non-kid friendly houses. I let them choose at the store and eat it there so they are busy for a fe. I also bring small toys to keep them busy with. I keep a good eye on them too.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:56 am
When we go to someone's home for Shabbos lunch, I LOCK my twins into booster seats at the table. If they want to go play, I either go to supervise or an older kid from the family goes. Even in a home that is basically kid proof, if the family is used to their youngest being a 4 year old for instance and they can leave the door to the basement open and here I come with two 2 year olds (this really happened)---- my kids weren't old enough to understand not to go to the stairs and boom--- from then on, I'm HYPER about watching my kids like a hawk in other people's homes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics