Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Why the bugaboo?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:02 am
baba wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:
Here where I live, in Europe, it's really not a status symbol. All the good strollers are around the same price, including the bugaboo, and lots of people have one.
I didnt buy it as a status symbol, or because it is "designer" (as I dont see it that way). I bought it cause it seemed the best, and why wouldnt you buy the best if your choices are all in the same price range.
3.5 years and 2 kids later, I still love it. Yes it folds in 2 parts (not the bee), but so does every carriage with a bassinet.Personally, I dont understand the Mclaren and see that much more as a must have brand. Why would you spend at least a couple hondred on an umbrella stroller when you can get them for much cheaper, for the exact same thing?

The bugaboo also folds in 2 parts with the seat. Many strollers fold without having to remove the seat. This is why I didn't choose the bugaboo - I found it to be a real pain!

AFAIK there is no stroller with a BASSINET that folds all in one.

There is actually one. The uppababy vista folds in one, when the seat is on but it's cumbersome.

Everyone has different stroller preferences, and I see that for most people the car is a big consideration. We don't see ourselves purchasing a car for a long time, so I walk or take the train everywhere. I got a bugaboo as a baby gift by my first, and now a couple of years later I am still very happy with it. I've used it almost daily, for a few kids now, and it's still in nice condition. It's very lightweight to bump up steps to the train, and easy to push. It's a pleasure to clean, easy to push, and pretty too. I love the color options, neat footmuf, and easy to pack away bassinet (folds flat). The basket is small, but I like the it is a closed basket, and the drawstring actually gives you alot more space than you would believe. When we go away for shabbos, I manage to get all our stuff in there. I don't usually need more space then it has, since all the stores around here deliver. They are so popular around here, that I wouldn't consider it a status symbol anymore. Even the price tag of $759 is in the same range of the other bassinet strollers of this quality.

I do think that people need to consider their own needs before purchasing a stroller, not their neighbors or friends.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
baba wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:
Here where I live, in Europe, it's really not a status symbol. All the good strollers are around the same price, including the bugaboo, and lots of people have one.
I didnt buy it as a status symbol, or because it is "designer" (as I dont see it that way). I bought it cause it seemed the best, and why wouldnt you buy the best if your choices are all in the same price range.
3.5 years and 2 kids later, I still love it. Yes it folds in 2 parts (not the bee), but so does every carriage with a bassinet.Personally, I dont understand the Mclaren and see that much more as a must have brand. Why would you spend at least a couple hondred on an umbrella stroller when you can get them for much cheaper, for the exact same thing?

The bugaboo also folds in 2 parts with the seat. Many strollers fold without having to remove the seat. This is why I didn't choose the bugaboo - I found it to be a real pain!

There is actually one. The uppababy vista folds in one, when the seat is on but it's cumbersome.

Everyone has different stroller preferences, and I see that for most people the car is a big consideration. We don't see ourselves purchasing a car for a long time, so I walk or take the train everywhere. I got a bugaboo as a baby gift by my first, and now a couple of years later I am still very happy with it. I've used it almost daily, for a few kids now, and it's still in nice condition. It's very lightweight to bump up steps to the train, and easy to push. It's a pleasure to clean, easy to push, and pretty too. I love the color options, neat footmuf, and easy to pack away bassinet (folds flat). The basket is small, but I like the it is a closed basket, and the drawstring actually gives you alot more space than you would believe. When we go away for shabbos, I manage to get all our stuff in there. I don't usually need more space then it has, since all the stores around here deliver. They are so popular around here, that I wouldn't consider it a status symbol anymore. Even the price tag of $759 is in the same range of the other bassinet strollers of this quality.

I do think that people need to consider their own needs before purchasing a stroller, not their neighbors or friends.

The UppaBaby does not fold with the bassinet. It folds when the seat is not facing you. It's pretty easy to fold actually.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 10:19 am
I also think the OP was asking about why it is this way in the frum community.
I live in Manhattan. I only see expensive strollers (and by the way last week in Babies R Us in Union Square I spent some time admiring the new $900 Maclaren model with a bassinet.) In my neighborhood actually, I'm seeing a lot of different strollers now--all top of the line--not exlusively a bugaboo.
I think the unfortunate part is that it's become a status symbol in the frum world.
If you can afford to own real estate in the city, then you can perhaps afford a "status" symbol stroller.
Otherwise, to me it seems wrong for a young 19-20 year old couple--neither of them having a huge income, etc. to live largely in general--and that includes a buagaboo.

I was also referring not to the bassinet. When you want to collapse/fold the bugaboo with the seat attatched, you have to take it apart!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:00 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:

The UppaBaby does not fold with the bassinet. It folds when the seat is not facing you. It's pretty easy to fold actually.

Exactly what I wrote.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:02 am
I'm sorry I misunderstood you as it seems that you were diagreeing with s/o that wrote that there is no carriage that folds with a bassinet.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:

Exactly what I wrote.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:30 am
frimamom wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:
Is there s/t wrong with me? I honestly don't get the whole designer/brand name thing. Who cares????? It's the same with clothes - if it's pretty, looks good on you, practical whatever, then it's great! What do I care what little symbal is sown onto it?? Please, someone explain to me how you can justify spending so much extra money just because something is the "in" brand name, and a status symbal. I don't mean to knock anyone, really, I'm just dying for an explanation! Is it only people who have the extra money (which I certainly don't, so maybe that's why I don't understand it) or are people willing to spend money they really can't afford for a designer stroller?

There is nothing wrong with you. I am actually a person that will perposely not buy something that has 'the name'. I happen to love the bugaboo but didnt buy it because its the bugaboo!

See, but you're doing the same thing. You're conforming to the 'people who purposely won't buy the bugaboo because it's a status symbol'. If you like it so much, and you can afford it, buy it.

There's a reason the bugaboo became famous in the first place. It has many pros.

If you don't care what everyone else thinks, then don't buy the bugaboo just because everyone else has it. Buy it because you love it. Wink

And since this page is currently full of ads for the Mutsy, I have to say that I LOVE mine.

And also, the cheaper strollers I've seen are really cheaply made. After six months they look as worn as if they were several years old. So I guess the option is very often between one expensive stroller for several kids, or one cheap stroller for one kid.

As for why everyone gets the bugaboo among the frum population, it's because most people don't bother doing their own research and will do what everyone else is doing because it's 'the thing to do'.

As for the rest of the world, the bugaboo is actually on its way out. It's been THE stroller for quite some time now, and is being gradually replaced by the Stokke, UppaBaby, Icandy, etc.

One last point, there are trends and styles in EVERY part of life. You ever question why you're wearing a certain kind of top, shoes, glasses, necklace, etc.?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:21 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
Is there s/t wrong with me? I honestly don't get the whole designer/brand name thing. Who cares????? It's the same with clothes - if it's pretty, looks good on you, practical whatever, then it's great! What do I care what little symbal is sown onto it?? Please, someone explain to me how you can justify spending so much extra money just because something is the "in" brand name, and a status symbal. I don't mean to knock anyone, really, I'm just dying for an explanation! Is it only people who have the extra money (which I certainly don't, so maybe that's why I don't understand it) or are people willing to spend money they really can't afford for a designer stroller?

I can try to explain it to you but thank you you seem too normal and down to earth to get it (b"h). Its pathetic but people have to get it because otherwise you won't be "cool" and your child might g-d forbid be deprived of a childhood without a bugaboo "gasp". Even though people can buy a stroller just as good quality, if not even better quality for about 700 dollars cheaper, they would rather make themselves go broke so that they can have the status of a bugaboo. Its called patheticness....

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

I can try to explain it to you but thank you you seem too normal and down to earth to get it (b"h). Its pathetic but people have to get it because otherwise you won't be "cool" and your child might g-d forbid be deprived of a childhood without a bugaboo "gasp". Even though people can buy a stroller just as good quality, if not even better quality for about 700 dollars cheaper, they would rather make themselves go broke so that they can have the status of a bugaboo. Its called patheticness....

Please find me a stroller that's as good as the Bugaboo for under $100.

FWIW, I don't own one but I think the reverse of the "have to have it" trend is often the people who can't afford it and are snobs who say "why would I want it."

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:43 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
amother wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

FWIW, I don't own one but I think the reverse of the "have to have it" trend is often the people who can't afford it and are snobs who say "why would I want it."

I sort of agree.
Do you have an issue with people buying it if they can afford it without an issue?
I personally researched my options for a loonnggg time when I was expecting and was very unimpressed with the reviews and comments that I heard/read etc...so I didn't go with the Bugaboo.
But if I see someone that is happy with it and it suits their needs good for them. Enjoy it.
On the other hand I do think that it is pathetic to own one IF you can not afford it.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:44 pm
[/quote]

FWIW, I don't own one but I think the reverse of the "have to have it" trend is often the people who can't afford it and are snobs who say "why would I want it."[/quote]

im the amother who posted above about the patheticness of it all. first of all, I have a city mini, I paid about 250 for it and I am in love with it. its light, portable (something ive heard from a lot of people that the bugaboo is not) and super easy to fold, carry and push. so its not under 100 but its still less then half of what the bugaboo costs.

second of all, I completely disagree with you about the reverse of the "have to have it" people because even if I could afford the bugaboo, I would davka go out of my way NOT to get one because I don't wana be percieved as someone who just spent half their savings just so I can be part of the in crowd and be cool. I think its ridiculous and a little disturbing that young kollel couples or couples who don't have so much money feel so much pressure to conform that they feel they have to spend money they dont have... very sad if u ask me

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 12:54 pm
You may love your City Mini (I have it in a double a paid $320 for it brand new - a great score!) and I may love my Maclaren (a $400 stroller I got for $215!) but the bugaboo has different features than those two. It functions as a snap-n-go (a $60 value), has a bassinett feature (these are like $100 or more?)...I've never used a bugaboo but my friends that have them LOVE them. None of them are the "keeping up with the joneses" types, they just researched and test drove strollers and decided that fit their needs the best.

As for not wanting to be percieved as using half your savings for a stroller - the City Mini is considered fancy to some people (like Graco users). There is generally somethign always fancier and something cheaper. Peoples perceptions of you may not be grounded in reality no matter what your choices are.

As for the Kollel couples keeping up with the Joneses - I think many Kollel couples today have been handed life on a silver platter and this is just part of the trend.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 1:58 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:
amother wrote:
baba wrote:

Exactly what I wrote.

meaning strollers that come with a bassinet, don't fold in one piece even when the seat is attaced.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 2:00 pm
I'm confused!
Which poster are you?
I am saying that strollers DO fold when the seat is attached! Very Happy

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:51 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:

The bolded. Many couples that are in Israel for the first 2-3 years and are SUPPORTED have bugaboos.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:53 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
A bugaboo is not practical if you are a driver, and are in and out of the car all day. OTOH, if you are a walker, I can see the allure to a carriage that is easy to push. The downside is that IMO, the bugaboo, has very small amount of storage space, so little room for all the shopping you have done. Personally, I am very happy with my under 200 dollar graco, and cannot see myself EVER spending $1000 on a carriage.

Even for walkers, depending on the terrain it isn't always good. I know more than one person in Monsey that doesn't like their bugaboo because shortcuts are used a lot and the terrain doesn't work well for their bugaboos.

saw50st8 wrote:

Not 100, but you can find really well wheeling strollers for less than 1/2 price. My sister who has a bugaboo prefers to push my Valco Buggster which cost $250, including a screen, plastic for the rain etc... The wheels are awesome and it's a one handed push as well. It folds like a breeze. And it's not the only great stroller in that price range or a bit more.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 10:04 am
My s-I-l won a bugaboo and hates it. Her tires don't inflate properly. She only liked pushing it when it was brand new, but a few months later she was hating it.
And she hated the fold from the start (tried taking it on a plane and folding it for security...)

amother

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 11:58 am
Iy'h I will be getting a stroller as a gift. I don't want a bugaboo for all the reasons above, but want something good quality. I am looking into the valco tri mode ex, does anyone know anything about it? Is the uppababy better?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 12:06 pm
I have the UppaBaby and I am really really happy with it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics