Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Special ed. activity ideas

amother

Post Sat, Jul 10 2010, 11:00 pm
I'm teaching a really low functioning (most kids have no language) preschool special ed. class for the summer and I was looking for anyone with cute ideas for sensory and language activities. this week one day we made ice cream in a bag (anyone want the recipe let me know), it was good sensory, we mixed in language and the kids had a blast. any other fun ideas? TIA

yk191

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:31 am
You can do a lesson on how to make play-doh (which I taught this summer). Detailed instructions are available at: http://www.instructables.com/I.....-doh/
The children loved this lesson, although you can make each batch in smaller portion, proportionately.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 4:27 pm
My dd's SEIT plays the manners game, it encourages her to say Please and Thank you, or she has to put the food cards back on the board.

Sensory activities don't need much planning, but need lots of cleanup. Kis love to paint with ketchup packets, play with mud, shaving creme... you name it.

SorGold

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:34 pm
Sensory and Language
Hide objects or laminated pics of objects (animals, clothes, shapes etc. ) that you are teaching in sand and have students reach in and pull them out as you name them or they match them to a larger picture.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 10:33 pm
I'm not a teacher but I have twin special needs preschoolers. the memory game is fun (turn over a bunch of cards and then have them take turns turning a card over) -- you narrate the whole time--- ok, that's a cat...... who can find the other cat? ok turn that card back over--- is that the cat? NO! is THAT the cat? NO! (have them say no with you and see if anyone can point to where they think the cat might be.

My twins don't have a lot of language but they know both English and Hebrew alphabets so my son actually really likes the Alef Bais memory game with really cute pics of the alef bais letters.

craisin

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 11:29 pm
ok. there's tons of stuff u can do. I taught many years in a special needs school for preschoolers, & we did loads of sensory activities.
* u can do painting with the feet. if the kids are mobile, then u put long sheets of paper on the floor, put a tray with paint @ one end , then put tray of water @ the other end with a towel nexto it. u can do a few of those with diff colors. kids remove socks, dip feet into paint...yum...& run through till the other end & dip into water. it makes a HUGE mess , but kids love it! we always displayed them afterwards. if kids aren't mobil, then just do it sep. with each child. bring tray to their feet, let them squoosh around, & then put footprints on sheet of paper.
*u can do shaving cream, baby lotion, baby oil.....
* how about baking.its a great language activity,& they can pley with dough after.
* jello is also great!
I have tons of activities. it woyld help to know if ur kids are mobil or not. u can pm me if u want any other ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics