Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Neima
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:17 pm
too unusual? will it work in israel?

any thought?>

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:19 pm
My friend's baby has this name (in Israel).

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:45 pm
Never heard of this name. How do you spell it in Hebrew?

chillax

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:51 pm
I don't know what it means or how you came up with it but it sounds "black" to me.
Not that there's anything wrong with it, and not meant in a racist way either so relax everyone.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:54 pm
Rather common name, yes, especially in the Mizrachi world here. It may be Judeo-Arabic and not Hebrew, I don't know, but in all cases it's very Jewish.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 1:15 pm
Its my DD's name! We live in the US - we know several other US Neima's.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 1:16 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:

nun - ayin- yud-mem-heh

It means nice or pleasant.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 1:21 pm
It has a nice melodic ring to it if you pronounce it like the original word, with the emphasis on the last syllable. I'd be worried though that it would be mispronounced. Israeli kids love to make names easy to say, and so Daveed becomes DA - vid, etc. Neima could easily become Ne - EEE - ma, which I like less.

But it is lovely with the first pronounciation. And not a common name at all here in Israel. In fact, I've got to say that after 20 yrs here, I don't recall coming across it once. On the other hand, the root word and meaning is recognizable, there are similar names (Noam, Naomi), so it won't be considered 'weird'.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:

nun - ayin- yud-mem-heh

It means nice or pleasant.

So it's נעימה and I read it as Nayma. Not that I've heard of Ne'ima. From the same root you have נעמה without the yud, the wife of Noach, and נעמי, the wife of Elimelech. Then there's the boy's name נועם.

Butterscoth

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 2:45 pm
I know quite a few girls named Neima. Very pretty name

shevi82

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 6:25 am
Very pretty name. My dd has a friend Neima, in Israel.

fiddle

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 6:29 am
I never heard it, but it sounds like a beautiful name.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 6:48 am
I think it's a common Arab female name.

mominisrael2

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 4:53 pm
I know at least one Israeli Neima, though I know a lot more female Noams...

baba

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 8:24 am
It's my grandmother's name and she is Iraqi.

ianaii

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 9:33 am
It is a bit too unusual for my taste. I feel like it is too much a describing word. It is literally calling a baby in English "Pleasant". What about Naomi or Naama? They are also derived from "Naim"

sped

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 9:50 am
My favorite girl's name! I really love it and dreamd of giving it. Unfortunately dh doesn't like it at all Sad .
I think I like it because the first Naeema I knew was exactly that - naeema - pleasant. It so describes her! I have met a few since, also here in Israel.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 9:55 am
I have a relative named Neima and she grew up and lives in Israel. She's the DD of Americans who settled in E"Y and grew up litvish/yeshivish. And she is her name - very pleasant and sweet.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 11:08 am
I love the name. I went to camp with a girl named neima, she was such a nice pleasant person.

louche

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 11:13 am
"What a pleasant name" as my mom said when introduced to her friend's grandchild. She can still come up with zingers now and then, my mom can.

We know several Neimahs, with and without the final H, ranging in age from brand-new to late 20s/early 30s, so it's not exactly a crazy-radical-modern-lunatic name. As my mom says, it's very pleasant, a nice change of pace from Naomi and a very good alternative if there are already other Naomi's in the family or born the same year in the same community. You don't want dd to be "Naomi Number X" in a class with twelve other Naomi's.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names