Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
School for at risk girls Rhode Island

red sea

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 9:48 pm
I am asking for someone else, whats the story with this school? Good place for yeshivish rebel to cool off or bad place for rebels to join forces? Do the girls like the staff? Are they close? And any other relevent info would be greatly appreciated. Post or Pm's wanted, the more info the better. Thanks. Also any other ideas to help un-rebelize an other-wise good girl.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 2:28 pm
My nieces went here. I don't think they turned out so great in the frumkeit dept. meaning they're frum but dress pretty slutty when not around family and have boyfriends but they're not doing drugs or anything like that. So I guess it depends on what your expectations are.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
My nieces went here. I don't think they turned out so great in the frumkeit dept. meaning they're frum but dress pretty slutty when not around family and have boyfriends but they're not doing drugs or anything like that. So I guess it depends on what your expectations are.

I was actually gonna say the kids that I know that went/go there are doing drugs, boys, cutting etc...These are kids that come from nice frum families.
I also know a couple of kids that go there that come from families that are NOT religous, and they're pretty decent. no drugs, cutting etc..

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 3:29 pm
My SIL was there. She started out as a chassidish kid from normal frum family who just didn't fit the mold and was a bit "at risk". I don't know if its all the schools fault or if she would have ended up like this anyway, but she made some pretty bad friends there which made her go downhill real fast. Boys, drugs, the works...

alwayzbizzy

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 3:08 am
How rebellious is this 'yeshivishe rebel'?
Yavne in Clevelands awesome!
It seems like it's hard to get into but I know 2 kids who went there and really stabilized.
One from bp another from lkwd

red sea

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:26 am
thanks for the info, keep it coming plz, I am passing on the info to them.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 10:21 am
I think a lot of the negative information posted above is misleading and incorrect. Sure, some girls may turn out that way but that is true of any school.

The New England Academy of Torah is not "FOR" at risk girls.
The school is probably half local students and half boarders from "in town" (Ny, NJ) - A lot of girls attending from "in town" cities just don't fit the mold of many "in town" schools. Or maybe parents have reasons to send them away (keep away from negative influences, etc). AFAIK there are not any drug or alcohol abuse issues.

The local girls are a big mix as well. There is no local Bais Yaakov but the students do participate in BY programs such as Mishmeres, Bnos, and BY conventions....

The hanhala seem to know how to handle the students very well.

I would suggest getting in touch with the hanhala if interested in finding out more. They would provide realistic information on the school and the types of girls attending. A visit to the school would also show you what it is like.

Telelphone 401-331-5327

amother

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 12:39 am
amother wrote:
I think a lot of the negative information posted above is misleading and incorrect. Sure, some girls may turn out that way but that is true of any school.

The school is probably half local students and half boarders from "in town" (Ny, NJ) - A lot of girls attending from "in town" cities just don't fit the mold of many "in town" schools. Or maybe parents have reasons to send them away (keep away from negative influences, etc). AFAIK there are not any drug or alcohol abuse issues.

The local girls are a big mix as well. There is no local Bais Yaakov but the students do participate in BY programs such as Mishmeres, Bnos, and BY conventions....

I would suggest getting in touch with the hanhala if interested in finding out more. They would provide realistic information on the school and the types of girls attending. A visit to the school would also show you what it is like.

Telelphone 401-331-5327

Define half of the class are local girls? You mean the 3 kids that live there?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Telephone 401-331-5327

Seriously? I think there are 30-something students in the school, and maybe 17 of which are local.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 3:52 pm
seriously - we have the rebels from out of town in cleveland and the cleveland rebels out of town ... sending them away doesn't help ... taking care of them - understanding them - accepting them ... you might have a chance

these kids do not want to be saved - they want to be accepted !!!

amother

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Telephone 401-331-5327

Seriously? I think there are 30-something students in the school, and maybe 17 of which are local.

17? You must be joking. I have family there and there is no way there are 17 local girls in the school, not even remotely close.

mamaleh

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 1:21 pm
I just called my mom who called and got the correct info. 33 girls, 17 are boarders, 16 are local (possibly 2 of those are from Sharon & commute)

amother

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 3:06 pm
mamaleh wrote:
I just called my mom who called and got the correct info. 33 girls, 17 are boarders, 16 are local (possibly 2 of those are from Sharon & commute)

There are 7 girls from in town, about 3 from Sharon, and the rest are from out of town(for a grand total of about 25 kayh"). If your daughter isn't wild and rebellious this is not the school for her. My niece is a normal good kid without issues BH" and begs her mother to send her somewhere else. If you place your daughter with a very good family you might see a really big change but otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 3:23 pm
greenfire wrote:
seriously - we have the rebels from out of town in cleveland and the cleveland rebels out of town ... sending them away doesn't help ... taking care of them - understanding them - accepting them ... you might have a chance

these kids do not want to be saved - they want to be accepted !!!

Greenfire is onto something here. There is no quick fix - that's a mistaken approach. Although when possibilities close to home are exhausted, parents try to find a place farther away that can do exactly what is suggested here - understand and accept the offbeat teen.

You have parents sending kids to EY, and parents sending their kids to chul, and the point is to find a place where each child feels happy and comfortable, so that he or she can begin to grow in a way that works for him or her.

For kids who don't fit the mold but are not heavy into rebellious behavior like some other way out there kids, there is a need for schools that cater to this overlooked segment of our society. Places where they can be accepted and learn and grow at their own pace, where kids are not doing drugs and smoking and the boyfriend-girlfriend scene. Just little or no pressure. Expectations that are realistic for these kids.

Is this what the girl in question needs?

Nemo

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 4:11 pm
I am a NEAT graduate. It more than doubled 2 years after I left. It is a great school that doesn't fit just one mold. There are girls who are more yeshivish, and girls who are less yeshivish. Like others are saying above, it really depends on the girl and the care she is getting. To my knowledge (it's been a few years since I was there, but I have friends who live in Providence) the school does not target "at risk" girls.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

There are 7 girls from in town, about 3 from Sharon, and the rest are from out of town(for a grand total of about 25 kayh"). If your daughter isn't wild and rebellious this is not the school for her. My niece is a normal good kid without issues BH" and begs her mother to send her somewhere else. If you place your daughter with a very good family you might see a really big change but otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

Where are you getting your info?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 10:24 pm
mamaleh wrote:
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

My niece is a normal good kid without issues BH" and begs her mother to send her somewhere else

mamaleh

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

My niece is a normal good kid without issues BH" and begs her mother to send her somewhere else

I meant about the size of the school and # of in-towners. (and btw I know some of the in-town girls & they are as happy as any other high school girls I know)

amother

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 10:35 pm
mamaleh wrote:
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:
amother wrote:
mamaleh wrote:

What's the question, my niece goes there.

I meant about the size of the school and # of in-towners. (and btw I know some of the in-town girls & they are as happy as any other high school girls I know)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children