Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Should I care if the name I chose is "messed up"??

amother

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 3:56 pm
My due date was this past shabbos, shabbos nachamu. I really wanted to use the name Nechama (along with another name that we must use but I dont like too much). But here we are 2 days post shabbos nachamu and no baby in sight, lol. I never thought I'd go overdue, my other kids were early.
is it weird if I still use that name? should I start thinking of something else?
wwyd?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 3:59 pm
We are in the midst of the shiva d'nechemta. Sounds perfect to me. B'shaa tova!

louche

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 7:32 pm
What's the problem? Nechama is a lovely name and there's no law that says you MUST take a name from the parasha, haftarah, YT, Daf Yomi or any other theme associated with the date of birth.

Raizle

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 7:49 pm
why should it be weird?
like louche said there is no law saying you have to take the name from something. You can call her Nechama just because you like it Smile
anyways it may just be a boy, then you can call him Nechemia or Nochum or Nachman

mindyme

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 8:00 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
We are in the midst of the shiva d'nechemta. Sounds perfect to me. B'shaa tova!

Very true, and perfect for the name still.
Also, you can name anyone, any name, anytime!

B'shaah Tova!

overthehill

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 8:02 pm
I know a little girl who is Batsheva Nechama, same situation, derived from "Sheva D'Nechemta". I thought it was a beautiful name.

estyn_ny

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:28 am
Yeah, you should use it!! Very Happy

Well I am biased Wink

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 3:54 am
We're still in Menachem Av Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 5:10 am
I know someone that was also born well after tisha b'av and was named Nechama... any time in av that is after tisha b'av is reason enough! b'shaah tovah!! Very Happy

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:24 pm
My Nechama was born 21 Sh'vat. If you love the name, use it!

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:30 pm
I'm all for using nechama - all the time, but maybe wait and see when your baby is born before making a final decision. Also you don't know what your husband (or mohel) is going to call at the time - sometimes they blank and say something other than what you agreed on!

I know someone who was supposed to be a double name (like Nechama Dina) and the baby was born and named on shavous and the father blanked and named her Na'omi (in the family's circle Naomi was a modern Israeli name - which they were NOT) Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:33 pm
If my husband did that, I would speak up and modify the name. Just no way. If it was the mohel I would correct him, in fact I will probably IYH write the name on a paper in French and Hebrew letters for him so he doesn't mess up.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:39 pm
I don't see why it matters when a baby is born. If you like the name, use it. If not, don't.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:40 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
I'm all for using nechama - all the time, but maybe wait and see when your baby is born before making a final decision. Also you don't know what your husband (or mohel) is going to call at the time - sometimes they blank and say something other than what you agreed on!

I know someone who was supposed to be a double name (like Nechama Dina) and the baby was born and named on shavous and the father blanked and named her Na'omi (in the family's circle Naomi was a modern Israeli name - which they were NOT) Smile

Such a situation can be rectified - I know s/o who wanted their baby to be "Ashira", but the Gabbai misheard and said "Shira". Father asked what to do, and was told to rename her at Mincha.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:50 pm
If you love the name Nechama ( and it is a very pretty name with a beautiful meaning) then go for it! If you dont love that name but you only were using it because of Nachamu, then you can think of other pretty names to use that goes with the second name youre using. (Rina, Tzipporah, Adina, etc etc). Its up to you and your husband. Anyway you can definitely say "I named you nechama because you were due on shabbos nachamu/ you were born 4 days after shabbos nachamu/ etc " or whatever (she doesnt have to be born exactly on Shabbos Nachamu for it to work). Basically do whatever floats you and your hubby's boat! You cant go wrong here! Bshaah Tovah :-)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
aidelmaidel wrote:

Such a situation can be rectified - I know s/o who wanted their baby to be "Ashira", but the Gabbai misheard and said "Shira". Father asked what to do, and was told to rename her at Mincha.

We had a similar thing. The guy who led the prayer asked the name, dh said it, he misheard and said X Y Tova. My dh said "it's Toba". I think that was it.

bubby

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 1:05 pm
My sister was supposed to be Yosefa (for mom's father who passed away when I was 9 weeks old.) Instead, somebody "persuaded" Dad to call sis Yocheved. Good job I was only 2, I don't remember a thing. But I'm told the house rocked! Rolling Eyes Nobody knows who Yocheved was (family wise!!) Confused

Nechama or any male equivalent is such a lovely, meaningful name at any time. If that's what you chose, maybe you should use it anyway...perhaps it's bashert.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 9:39 am
I joked with DH bout how he would write each girls' name down on a post-it before the naming so he would get it right or could even just show it to the gabbai for him to read. these last few posts made me realize how smart he was.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 10:53 am
If it's close, why not. Peole do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names