Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer homework

does your child receive and complete summer homework?
my child gets summer homework and I do it with them as assigned until completion  
 35%  [ 6 ]
my child gets summer homework and we do some of it together  
 11%  [ 2 ]
my child gets summer homework and we barely look at it  
 29%  [ 5 ]
my child doesn't receive summer homework  
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

SingALong

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 5:03 pm
so I'm thinking about the forgotten summer kriah booklet that my DD age 6 brought home on her last day of school and I'm feeling a bit guilty. we were quite enthusiatic about it during the first 2 weeks of summer and haven't looked at it since. It's not really mandatory, but the kids get prizes if they bring it in completed. so I just wanted to know how common it is for kids to really do their summer homework. (I don't remember doing it as a kid.)
this poll is more for younger ages, I gues a 5th or 6th grader can do it independently and it's more their choice rather than your if they will do their summer homework.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 5:17 pm
I haven't reached that stage yet with my kids, but am a teacher so I have my opinion on this. First, your sanity comes first, if you really can't do it, well don't cry over spilt milk. And, maybe you could just do some of it, say 5 minutes a day. But, if that is not the case and it's just not convenient it is a different story. The truth is, you should not be asking other ppl for advice on whether it is important for YOUR child. The question is does your child need the summer hw? Is he or she going to benefit from it, and will it help next year. Generally, I think if there is absolutely no learning in the summer, a child not only stays in the same place, but goes backwards a bit. You want to create learning experiences that are more interesting then a booklet of worksheets? Great, go ahead. But think in terms of what your child needs, not what everyone else is doing.

louche

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 5:23 pm
You omitted option 5, "my child gets summer homework and does it himself, because it's HIS homework and not mine."

I really hate the expression "doing my dc homework with him." It is to be sincerely hoped that this is not as it sounds, but rather means "supervising my dc while he does his hw" "ensuring that my dc does his hw" "standing by to clarify any questions dc may have about his hw" or "listening to my child review his hw aloud." However, I know in my heart of hearts that for many parents, "doing my dc hw with him" means exactly that.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 5:37 pm
My foster son has a reading-specific learning disabilility, and it's important that he keep from falling further behind the rest of his class, so I closely supervise his summer packet work. I'm hopeful that he'll catch up to some of the kids who spend the entire summer playing. Smile

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 5:45 pm
louche wrote:
You omitted option 5, "my child gets summer homework and does it himself, because it's HIS homework and not mine."

I really hate the expression "doing my dc homework with him." It is to be sincerely hoped that this is not as it sounds, but rather means "supervising my dc while he does his hw" "ensuring that my dc does his hw" "standing by to clarify any questions dc may have about his hw" or "listening to my child review his hw aloud." However, I know in my heart of hearts that for many parents, "doing my dc hw with him" means exactly that.

I voted for the first one, but it's really what louche wrote.

prettyme

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 6:31 pm
yo'ma wrote:
louche wrote:

I voted for the first one, but it's really what louche wrote.

Same here. My 6 yo DD does hw every day on her own, I just check if writing is correct and listen to her reading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics